PDA

View Full Version : am i wasting money??

Si3
10-21-2003, 11:47 AM
since my first oil change at 5k i have put nothing but 93 octane in my EP. i have noticed a slight increase in gas mileage, however i know we do not have "premium only" engines, thus i have come to the conclusion that i might have wasted a whole lot of money...

lets do some math...

18k on the car- average on 285 miles p/tank -
roughly 64 fill ups - 11 gallons per fill up -
704 gallons - .20 extra p/gallon
$140.80 difference in just 9 months.

while i've spent more than this on lap dances in one hour, its not the money so much as it is the principle...

anyone have any opinion as to if they get an increase in preformance or mileage with 92/93 octane? Also i have noticed before when i put 87/88 in my ep the exhaust smelled like rotten eggs, since going all 93 that has gone away. just bored at work and thought i would get some other peoples opinions... so lemme have 'em!!

-aj-

BlackNRedSi
10-21-2003, 11:53 AM
ah,

jus throw some 87 or 89 in that bad boy, does the same IMO...gas is gas, it aint like we drivin vipers or lambos! :)

JLannoo
10-21-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Si3
Also i have noticed before when i put 87/88 in my ep the exhaust smelled like rotten eggs, since going all 93 that has gone away. just bored at work and thought i would get some other peoples opinions... so lemme have 'em!!

-aj-

Agreed ,I put 93 in for one reason and one reason only. I found out it stops my exhaust from smelling like sulfuric shit. LOL no joke.

Thats more then enough reason for me.

furious
10-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Si3
while i've spent more than this on lap dances in one hour, its not the money so much as it is the principle...

if you had your priority straight, you'd buy 87o and spend the difference on more lap dances:mad:

oldschoolimport
10-21-2003, 12:02 PM
maybe I am too picky, but with 87, I feel something advancing and retarding, over and over again. when I use 92, it doesn't. that is reason enough for me to spring for the good shit.:D

Si3
10-21-2003, 12:07 PM
thanks for all the replies guys & gals.

probally still gonna stick with 93 though... :D :D

-aj-

bloodzombie
10-21-2003, 12:19 PM
I've only filled with premium a couple times, to see if I could tell a difference, and I couldn't.

BlasTech
10-21-2003, 12:21 PM
I use 93, and I rev high, especially racing. Id go with 89 if I didnt auto-x so much.

I'll definietely stay with 93 when I get hondata- or AEM-chipped.

Zero Three Si
10-21-2003, 12:30 PM
Supposedly the 93 octane has detergents in it to help clean your fuel injectors. It's only what I've heard...I'm by no means saying it is true.

So what I do...since I get better gas mileage with 87 octane, I fill two weeks with 87, 1 week with 89 (aka silver), and the last week of the month I fill up with 93 octane.

bobdobbs
10-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Some brands of gas have detergents regardless of their octane rating. Some only put it in their high-octane gas. Either way, the detergents make very little difference. I go for the 87-octane 76 mainly because it has no evil MTBE. The lack of MTBE is more important to me than higher octane.

Zero Three Si
10-21-2003, 12:38 PM
What is MTBE?

younggotti266
10-21-2003, 12:40 PM
I believe higher octane just detains the time it takes to ignite the fuel.......

I think it's a waste of money...unless your car is super modded, supercharged or turbocharged.....

Black 02 SI
10-21-2003, 12:46 PM
just thought I'd throw in a little info. in our owners manual it says use regular. I def feel a difference(at least I think, could be my mind)I use regular unless I know I'm goin to the track. Also in my 2000 si's book it says use only premium, so that's what I do. I think honda knows better than use what there engines NEED to run on. but unless there is proven horse diff, it's all about cost to me.

bobdobbs
10-21-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
What is MTBE?
It's an additive in use in California that helps oxidize hydrocarbons. They've found it's persistent in soil and water tables, and in animals. It's toxic, possibly carcinogenic with long-term exposure. "Save the environment by killing the humans". UC Davis has been studying it: http://www.tsrtp.ucdavis.edu/mtbe/ .

bobdobbs
10-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by younggotti266
I believe higher octane just detains the time it takes to ignite the fuel.......
Close. It slows the burn time of the fuel and is necessary in high-compression engines to prevent pre-detontation (pinging). With higher octane, you can run higher compression and/or advance your timing to produce more power. Our ECU doesn't do that, however, so the additional octane is wasted.

Zero Three Si
10-21-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
It's an additive in use in California that helps oxidize hydrocarbons. They've found it's persistent in soil and water tables, and in animals. It's toxic, possibly carcinogenic with long-term exposure. "Save the environment by killing the humans". UC Davis has been studying it: http://www.tsrtp.ucdavis.edu/mtbe/ .

I thought California banned the word Davis.

LASI02
10-21-2003, 01:26 PM
I seem to get more mpg out of 93o than 87o, but I do think that price makes up for the marginal gains in economy.

I've read a few things on additives on this site.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ (www.bobistheoilguy.com)