PDA

View Full Version : Hows the ride w/ Ground Controls?

iHeartOxycotin
09-09-2002, 09:45 PM
if you've got an 02' SI w/ Ground control coil overs... hows the ride? do u have stock shocks? or aftermarkets? if so what kind? how long have you had them? did you trim the front spring seat? Ty! :D

fishboy
09-11-2002, 01:52 PM
i like the ride. kinda soft sometimes, though. i have them on my stock struts. i have had them for a few months now and have had no problems except bottoming out once in a while. i like em lots. i have plans for some teins eventually though...

CleanBlackSi02
09-11-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by fishboy
i like the ride. kinda soft sometimes, though. i have them on my stock struts. i have had them for a few months now and have had no problems except bottoming out once in a while. i like em lots. i have plans for some teins eventually though...

Mushy and bouncy with stock shocks, but comfortable. I can't wait for some Koni's....or air ride if I get 18's.

02blksi
09-11-2002, 06:24 PM
for those of you that currently have GC's on your ride! ARE YOU SURE THEY ARE FOR THE 02 SI!!??? this was brought up by GRM in his post, come to find out ground control seemingly like every other company out there gave us the springs for the regular civic.. They are way to soft, if you call GC and tell them you want the new/revised 02 si springs they are much stiifer and from what i hear get rid of all the bouncy mushy feelings. just a thought --joe

CleanBlackSi02
09-11-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
for those of you that currently have GC's on your ride! ARE YOU SURE THEY ARE FOR THE 02 SI!!??? this was brought up by GRM in his post, come to find out ground control seemingly like every other company out there gave us the springs for the regular civic.. They are way to soft, if you call GC and tell them you want the new/revised 02 si springs they are much stiifer and from what i hear get rid of all the bouncy mushy feelings. just a thought --joe

I duno....I was told that they had two distinct models for the 2001+ and the Si. Most springs/coilovers that are lowering a car that much on stock shocks are going to be pretty bouncy.

DynaSpeed
09-11-2002, 06:49 PM
I don't get any mushiness or bounciness at all

The first time I ordered them, they gave me 94-00 Civics :rolleyes:, but I finally got the "2002 Civic Si" coils... "I know this because that's what it says on the box" :)

I also use stock shocks and get a very firm, great handling vehicle.

I wouldn't trade these for anything. (But I've never been in a car with Teins, either). I'm also quite low, A little over 2in drop and I haven't bottomed out yet in this pot-hole infested region.

iHeartOxycotin - There's no trimming at all except for the rear bump-stops which you cut in half. Most of the OEM strut casings are discarded, too.

02blksi
09-11-2002, 07:24 PM
how much did you guys pay for your GC's and from where? thanks --joe

CleanBlackSi02
09-11-2002, 07:50 PM
how much did you guys pay for your GC's and from where? thanks --joe

$315ish delivered from Tornactive.com.

DynaSpeed
09-12-2002, 07:47 AM
$296 Delivered from Massive Motorsports.

Caveat Emptor, though. They sent the wrong ones, so it took about a month and a half for them to get me the right ones.

fishboy
09-12-2002, 09:26 AM
300 from a shop. glad to hear you got the right ones finally, dynaspeed. and really glad to hear you like them.

RacingCivicSi02
09-16-2002, 03:53 PM
they had some on www.groupbuycenter.com for $305 shipped.

DynaSpeed
09-16-2002, 04:03 PM
glad to hear you got the right ones finally, dynaspeed. and really glad to hear you like them Hey, Thanks again for the help on that too, Fish!

Also, you've had yours on for a little while now with the stocker struts. What do you think that your drop is, and have you noticed any decline in the ride with it being lower on the stockers? And if you do feel a steady decline in performance with the stock struts, how much life do you think that they have?

I have mine set at about between 2 and 2.25", and I'm just not really sure if they will last me the winter. Considering that the stock struts are made by Nissin, I'm thinking they may last a little longer than your normal OEM struts.

fishboy
09-16-2002, 04:22 PM
no problem man, anytime. i have them set a bit lower than halfway, about 1 finger in the back and 1 and a half fingers in the front. i am hoping the stock struts last a while. i don't want them to break on me any time soon. they feel the same though. good ride, rebounds nicely. i want to say i am not worried about them, but i don't want to jinx it. i'll just say that i don't think about them much.

02SilverSiHB
09-16-2002, 09:52 PM
I agree with that statement. most likely those with a mushy ride could be on the other springs for the 2001+ civics except the si. it has a lower spring rate....thus mushy. although it depends on the persons defintion of mushy....like if they had a tweeked out suspension on a previous car.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1965

fishboy
09-17-2002, 09:45 AM
actually i made sure i had the right part number for the 02 si. i had lots of problems in the past, i would call a shop up and ask if they had exhaust or whatever for the 02 si then when i got there it was for the 99-00 si. so i have a habit of always making sure it is for our hatch.

i hear though that ground control is coming out with a new coilover or something, according to those guys with the white hatch with stickers all over it. is this true? maybe they were just making it up.

DynaSpeed
09-17-2002, 09:51 AM
Well, I think they just got a spring rate that wasn't the "default" rate. With GC's anybody can specify the spring rate of any spring when you order them.

fishboy
09-17-2002, 10:45 AM
yeah that's exactly what i was thinking too.

2fastcivic
09-17-2002, 02:02 PM
i just talked to ground control and they say that the 2001 civic and 2002 civic si coilovers have the same spring rates.

F 375
R 425

Is this suppose to be right?

DynaSpeed
09-17-2002, 02:18 PM
Actually that doesn't sound right.

1) the 2001 civic springs will fit, but they are rarely the same spring rates. The Hatch Si's are almost always higher spring rates. Ask some of the people on here that have the springs from a non-Si car.

2) I had some ground controls for a 2000 civic (which, I understand, is not a 2001), and they were much softer than the ones I have for the Ep. And they weren't even close to the same size.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

ThickMick
09-17-2002, 07:30 PM
There's an article in the Nov. 2002 edition of Grassroots Motorsports which addresses the issue of springrates for the si 02 Ground Controls, and I quote:

"For spring rates, Ground Control's Jay Morris suggested we try 550 lbs./in at the front and 900 lbs./in in the rear. The front rate seemed reasonable considering the height and weight of the car, but the rear seemed awfully high to us.
As Jay explained, the rear shocks and springs are mounted near the middle of the control arm, changing the motion ratio percentage of suspension. As a result, the wheel rate winds up being considerably lower than the actual spring rate...
In other words, our ('02 Honda Civic si) rear suspension's rate at the wheel is a little under 38% of actual spring rate. Our 900 lbs./in becomes around 340 lbs./in at the wheel..." (pg. 105)