PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Bushings install

Ty's Si
10-21-2003, 04:52 PM
I am installing my aluminum bushings right now and need to know if the lips on each bushing meet each other through the hole in the metal plate or not.

The directions say to "place one of the bushings, leveled edge up, underneath the metal plate and the top bushing leveled edge down above the metal plate." So in that case, the lips on the bushings would oppose each other and there would be nothing to fill the space between the bushings where the hole in the plate is. Is this correct?

"Leveled edge" seems to be the side without the lip, but for some reason that just seems backwards when comparing the two aluminum bushings lip to lip and the rubber replacement.

I need to know quickly which is the proper way cause my dash is apart and I need to drive soon!

Thanks.

Ty's Si
10-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Which diagram is correct? Please excuse the kindergarten diagram.

02SilverSiHB
10-21-2003, 05:14 PM
movin...

Ty's Si
10-21-2003, 05:15 PM
Doh! I just need a quick answer. Someone please respond with a quick "A" or "B."

02SilverSiHB
10-21-2003, 05:16 PM
damnit...I messed up, met to move to the engine area

Anyway, go here, may help http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP_SHIFT_BUSHING

Ty's Si
10-21-2003, 05:19 PM
I checked there, examined the pictures, read the instructions, etc. I have the instructions that came with them too.

I just can't tell from any of the diagrams or pictures which way they go and the instructions are misleading me...

02SilverSiHB
10-21-2003, 05:22 PM
have you contacted Mugen_EP on there? he's the one who did the install

Si4U2NV
10-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Hey Ty's Si...

http://www.k-series.com/Images/Tech/EP_SHIFT_BUSHING/EP_SHIFT_BUSHING-5.jpg

It lookz like Option B in your diagram but im not SURE... but i would think itz like that...

-Mike

Ty's Si
10-21-2003, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. I went with option B and everything feels tight like I expected. I figured if it's wrong, I'll just change it at a later time. The worst part was getting the old ones out. Putting the new ones in is a breeze.

Civicvtec1ps
10-21-2003, 07:30 PM
b
yea install is tricky but i got it done yesterday

edit= wasnt installing bitch? sure it was for me LOL. bottom right one is THE hardest

Mugen_EP
10-21-2003, 11:00 PM
Actually its diagram A. the flat side should be facing outward on both sides. the side with the lip faces inward. If you see in the pic the bolt sits flush against the bushing.

http://www.k-series.com/Images/Tech/EP_SHIFT_BUSHING/EP_SHIFT_BUSHING-5.jpg

ATRIOT
10-21-2003, 11:04 PM
Option A. bubble bursted

Civicvtec1ps
10-21-2003, 11:14 PM
oh damn. so i installed wrong eh?
is this right?
do you guys think i will have any problem with option b?
ehh kinda lazy to reinstall damn bushings

Civicvtec1ps
10-21-2003, 11:24 PM
this is how i installed.
i guess i installed wrong but everything seems fine though

Mugen_EP
10-21-2003, 11:38 PM
I dont see why it would cause any problems but those lips on the bushings are made to fit inside the metal plate.

Ty's Si
10-21-2003, 11:43 PM
See now this is what I didn't want to hear. I looked at the rubber bushings I removed and thought, "gee if the lips face each other, it will resemble the rubber ones I'm replacing."

But the directions say to "place one of the bushings, leveled edge up, underneath the metal plate and the top bushing leveled edge down above the metal plate." That would indicate to me that diagram A would be correct because the "leveled side" would seem to be the one without the lip. But all the pictures I looked at of the install looked like the lips went in and the flat sides went out so that's why I wanted to know which was correct.

I should have used common sense. Seems to me the tutorials/instructions need to be edited or revised. They are very misleading. Either that or a schematic that shows a 45 degree side view/cutaway of the 12 mm bolt going through the bushings with the proper sides up and down showing needs to be created...kinda like the ones you get when you buy a desk you put together yourself. It has diagrams that show which bolts go in which holes with dotted lines indicating the way the assembly goes together.

Mugen_EP
10-21-2003, 11:46 PM
I guess I'm to blame for that since I wrote up the directions. I'll try to get a pic of a bolt through the bushings so people can see how they should look.

sorry bout that.:sadm:

-Tony

Ty's Si
10-21-2003, 11:48 PM
Hey no problem. I'll just get in there and reverse them sometime in the next day or so.

Hopefully this will help others if they have the same question. Thanks for the reply Mugen.

Mugen_EP
10-21-2003, 11:53 PM
NP, I'll get Steve to update K-series and I'll e-mail the seller so he can update his instructions also.

Civicvtec1ps
10-22-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Ty's Si
See now this is what I didn't want to hear. I looked at the rubber bushings I removed and thought, "gee if the lips face each other, it will resemble the rubber ones I'm replacing."

same exact thought , yea i was very confused when i put bushings on. but i will just redo them. i guess iw ill have to go buy short shifter now:D

raiyo
11-01-2003, 07:30 PM
ahhhh!!!! i'm another victim on the installion error. I was wondering and wondering when I did the installion. But I went with the instructions.... :'( Thx to Ty'sSi for leading me to this post. I guess I'll change it up tomorrow.

Si_Rider
11-01-2003, 09:02 PM
thanks for clarifying the directions, just placed my order on the groupbuy for the aluminum bushings. waiting to get them so i can install. good job fellows for the heads up.

raiyo
11-01-2003, 09:16 PM
Just got an email back from CapYoda. That's the dude who sold me the bushings.

actually they should face in and "touch each other."

like u put the raised surface into the hole... the bottom piece will face up, and the top piece wil face down.

hmm. the instruction didn't specify that? I need to take a look.. been getting this question lately.

oh yeah its a hassle to take it apart and do it again, there honestly wont be that much of a difference.. like it wont be as tight as it could be.. but if you torqued the bolt enough, u probably wont feel the difference.

so dont bein a hurry to fix that.. maybe when you install a short
shifter adapter or something.

civic hatch boi
11-02-2003, 04:22 AM
serious.. the directions make u think it's a easy install.. it was sucha BIATCH!!!! OMG.... worst part is taking out the metal sleeves OMG. freak!!!

priest6479
11-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Seems someone already did a thread on this

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23480

Ty's Si
11-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Yea, Raiyo's DIY came after I posed the question a few weeks ago. Getting that bottom right rubber bushing out was the biggest pain in the whole install process. But overall, it makes the shifter feel much more precise when engaged in each gear, especially when used in combination with the Neuspeed SS. I did mine incorrectly the first time as well, but fixed it 2 days later. The second time isn't so bad because you don't have to mess with the rubber bushing removal again.

BTW, nice DIY Raiyo.

fishboy
11-07-2003, 06:56 PM
i did "a" thank god for everyones input. :)