PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running KW Coilovers for everyday use?

slc71
10-21-2003, 05:38 PM
Is anyone is running KW Coilovers (V1 or V2) for a daily driver?
If so, are they too stiff for everyday use?

greenguy
10-22-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by slc71
Is anyone is running KW Coilovers (V1 or V2) for a daily driver?
If so, are they too stiff for everyday use?
Yes sir, I sure am. I love them. I have the v2. I also would recomend getting the new bearing plate that they are offering for $200. as the OEM will go bad. Call Glen at KW and tell him that greenguy said to have him explain the benifits of this new item that will be hitting the shelfs soon;)
As to your question on daily driving, I love them. With out a doubt the best purchase that I made...next to my Pirelli's:D The ride is great. It is stiff and thats what you want with an aftermarket set up without being harsh. Pot holes and railroad crossings, well you will need to exercise caution as you are not on a spongy EOM setup.
Install is a straight forward afair. If you have any sort of mechanical ability, and a set of tools, then save yourself some $$ and do it your self. Get the rear ONLY camber kit, as the front KW's have adjustability built in.
Thats about it. I have a bunch of write ups if your willing to search for them on here. Also I will talk to you to help you in any way:)
Good luck.
justin

jason
10-22-2003, 09:12 AM
I'm using them for daily driving. I've had them on for only a day. They are very stiff but I don't know what the dampening is set on, so I am gonna turn it negative and see if it alleviates it. Oh and this car does not lean at all when going through a turn and when shifting the ass of my car doesn't sit down when you shift real hard. Also I think I need a rear tie bar cause when I'm coming out of a turn my rear gets real loose like a mustang. Overall I'm loving these things just got to get it where i want it then go get an alllignment.

greenguy
10-22-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by jason
I'm using them for daily driving. I've had them on for only a day. They are very stiff but I don't know what the dampening is set on, so I am gonna turn it negative and see if it alleviates it. Oh and this car does not lean at all when going through a turn and when shifting the ass of my car doesn't sit down when you shift real hard. Also I think I need a rear tie bar cause when I'm coming out of a turn my rear gets real loose like a mustang. Overall I'm loving these things just got to get it where i want it then go get an alllignment.
Dont Set them to full soft. you will ruin the shock. I have mine one full turn from soft all around. I tried with the front softer (1/2 from soft) but it was too soft, and the balance didnt feel right. I will try with the rears set to 1-1/2 from soft to see how that feels.
Your alignment will change everything on how your car handles. I felt like I was on wet sponges when i was driving before the alignment. After it was like i was on rails! plus the Pirelli's help alot;)

chet
10-22-2003, 11:41 AM
I have a set for daily driving and auto-x. I like them better for auto-x than I do daily driving. The Progress springs were much more forgiving on my lower back. If the roads in Indiana were actually flat and smooth. THey're just a bit stiff, but not so bad I want to get rid of them (yet). I would really like to get the Progress coilovers if and when they are ever released. I would be very curious about how their ride is.

slc71
10-22-2003, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
When I get closer to buying them I will probably contact you greenguy.

bobdobbs
10-22-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by greenguy
Dont Set them to full soft. you will ruin the shock.

I've heard this before, but I don't understand why it's true. AFAIK, setting it to full soft opens the valves fully so there's little resistance going through the oil. Why does that ruin them?

BTW, Greenguy, what's with the Italian stuff (Garlic and oil, Pirelli's, etc.)? Just curious because I like Italian machinery.

slc71
10-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by chet
I have a set for daily driving and auto-x. I like them better for auto-x than I do daily driving. The Progress springs were much more forgiving on my lower back. If the roads in Indiana were actually flat and smooth. THey're just a bit stiff, but not so bad I want to get rid of them (yet). I would really like to get the Progress coilovers if and when they are ever released. I would be very curious about how their ride is.

Also, Are you just running the springs or the full coilovers?

chet
10-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Also, Are you just running the springs or the full coilovers?

I sold my Progress springs. I have been on the KW V2 full coilovers for a couple months or so.

Silentplanet
10-22-2003, 07:12 PM
I run my v2's 3/4 turn from hard. Feels like a racecar, especially when I go over small bumps and the engine goes whaaa-whaaa-whaaa! But I think I'm gonna break something every time I hit a pothole. The sweet setup would be Tein's with EDFC. That would be the best of both worlds...

slc71
10-22-2003, 08:09 PM
Reason I ask is since I live Illinois you can imagine what the roads are like chet.
They are crap. I just don't want to be bounced out of the seat everytime I hit a bump or have to go to the dentist every six months to make sure I still have all my teeth.

jason
10-23-2003, 08:33 AM
Which way is stiff.is it all the way + or all the way -.

Silentplanet
10-23-2003, 09:06 AM
+ (clockwise) is stiffer...

silver ep
10-23-2003, 09:31 AM
I've had mine on for about 4 months and my car is daily driven. I love the feel of them on the road, better handling, stiffer ride, feel more connected to the road. However the way I have the dampers adjusted makes the ride bouncy over certain terrain. I also have to take special caution over bumps, especially because I only have about a one finger gap. The fact that they are stainless steel was probabally the biggest draw for me, overall the best mod I've bought!

fsugatorbait
10-23-2003, 10:18 AM
Ive had my V2's for about 4 months or so on my daily driver. Took a 3500 mile road trip with them to FL and they were great. A little bouncy at times but overall im pretty impressed with them. The stainless was another big plus as New England roads are covered in salt Nov. through April. One thing I would have liked to see is I wish KW would give a better discount on their front upper mount for current V2 owners. Other than that there great for everyday use.

chet
10-23-2003, 12:40 PM
Reason I ask is since I live Illinois you can imagine what the roads are like chet.
They are crap. I just don't want to be bounced out of the seat everytime I hit a bump or have to go to the dentist every six months to make sure I still have all my teeth.

The main reason I purchased the KW's. . .Okay two reasons. 1) They're stainless steel. They won't rust out so quick in the Indiana winters (salt and sand). 2) I auto-x, and wanted some adjustability, in case I would like to change my setup (although I have only changed the fronts acouple times).

If you are looking for a great daily ride, my personal suggestion is to either get the Progress springs and a good set of struts, if they do in fact make them for the EP. OR, the Mugen coilovers, those look really awesome, although not adjustable (The Mugens give you a decent drop, not slammed). Do you autocross, is this for strictly daily driving?

greenguy
10-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
BTW, Greenguy, what's with the Italian stuff (Garlic and oil, Pirelli's, etc.)? Just curious because I like Italian machinery.
To quote Madona "Italian's Do It Better";) and I am Italian.
Pirelli makes the best tires in the world! prove me wrong:D
Garlic and olive oil ( X-tra virgin of course;)), The best food combination IN THE WORLD! How can anyone possibly prove me wrong on that one???

Buy KW's! You will not be disapointed! I Garonteeeee!

slc71
10-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by chet
The main reason I purchased the KW's. . .Okay two reasons. 1) They're stainless steel. They won't rust out so quick in the Indiana winters (salt and sand). 2) I auto-x, and wanted some adjustability, in case I would like to change my setup (although I have only changed the fronts acouple times).

If you are looking for a great daily ride, my personal suggestion is to either get the Progress springs and a good set of struts, if they do in fact make them for the EP. OR, the Mugen coilovers, those look really awesome, although not adjustable (The Mugens give you a decent drop, not slammed). Do you autocross, is this for strictly daily driving?

Don't autocross. I am looking at them for two reason 1. stainless steel, same salt conditions as yourself 2. adjustable height. I don't want to slam my car may just like 2-3 fingers between the tire and body. If I go with springs I am stuck with whatever height they give me.