PDA

View Full Version : How you guys like your SI?

M-sweet
06-27-2002, 12:05 AM
How is this car overall? and why you guys choose the SI? I mean at the same price there are many other nice options, like the VW GTI 1.8T...

punkdork
06-27-2002, 12:31 AM
I like it... though the power potential of the 1.8t is much greater (at least with the parts available now).

I went with the Si to save money until the WRX Sti comes to our shores. Its a fun car (a lot more fun than the maxima I traded it in for). The stock suspension is decent (though it could stand to be lowered). The sport seats and rally shifter rock (my fiance has an mk4 golf and the seats blow).

Basically it was the most fun car stock and it has a Honda badge so it should hold value better than a lot of cars. I also expect a plethora of mods for it.

SpacemanSpiff
06-27-2002, 05:52 AM
I wouldn't say that the GTI is the same price as the SI. Once you option the GTI up with a sunroof, you are at $20,700. Plus, the cloth interior on my wifes Golf GLS is terrible, so if I got a GTI I would have to get leather for $900 more and the seats still wouldnt be as nice as what is in the SI. So that is a MSRP of $21,600. According to Edmunds the Invoice price would be $19,665, TMV price is $20,327. (Destination included in all of those)
So lets assume that even though GTI's seem to be pretty scarce around here, and my local VW dealer is terrible, I was able to get a deal on the GTi similar to what I got on the SI, which was $300 over invoice.
GTI price = 19,965 w/ Destination
Si Price w/ side airbags = 17,589.85 + $460 Destination + $300 = $18,349.85
A difference of $1,615.15 dollars or more! That would have increased my monthly payment by $31 or $1860 over the life of the loan!

So far, my experience with VW service has been terrible, my experiences with Honda service in the past have been good. It was a no-brainer for me. YMMV
:)

SBC31
06-27-2002, 07:08 AM
Having had 5 other Honda's before my 2002 SiR, this is the best one yet. I did consider the following cars, at one point in time, but the first time I saw the SiR I fell in love:

Focus SVT (Overpriced in Canada, and the SiR is cheaper here then in the US) Not too mention it's a FORD.

VW GTI 1.8T Never been a fan of VW products since they don't seem to like winter in Canada.

Protege5 Basically a Focus in Mazda's clothing.

Nissan Murano (I think they call it a Murano, or something like that) They are way too expensive, but are pretty neat.

I am extremely happy with my 2002 SiR, in Canada it's a great car for the money.

Mechanic
06-27-2002, 02:35 PM
SBC: Regarding your SiR, do the Canadian SiR's have "our"(U.S.) 160hp engine and the five-speed tranny, or are your R's 200hp cars with six speeds and 17" alloys?

fishboy
06-27-2002, 03:06 PM
i love my car. i was checking out other cars a few months or so ago and i wasn't even considering this car. i was looking at a4's, wrxs, used m3 sedans, and whatever else i felt like looking at at the time. then by chance i drove by a honda dealership, the light turned red so i decided to pull into the lot to see if they had any a4s, don't why i thought they would have some. i saw it, test drove it, loved it, and got it the next day. it is still pretty rare so i still get looks, not as much as before for some reason, but that's not why i got it. it is soild all throughout. try slamming a wrx's door from the inside and compare the sound to the si's. the interior is dope, the engine is primed for some mods, what more can you ask for? plus it's pretty quick.

02TafWhtSi
06-27-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by SBC31
Nissan Murano (I think they call it a Murano, or something like that) They are way too expensive, but are pretty neat.

what the hell is this?:confused:

CleanBlackSi02
06-27-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Mechanic
SBC: Regarding your SiR, do the Canadian SiR's have "our"(U.S.) 160hp engine and the five-speed tranny, or are your R's 200hp cars with six speeds and 17" alloys?

It's the same 'cept they've got heated mirrors and daytime running lights....I think....But it's the same car as the Si. The Canadian Si is our Ex coupe. Silly, huh?

IceD out N CALI
06-27-2002, 10:58 PM
I like my car