PDA

View Full Version : SRS Light Lite, searched, did DIY

raiyo
10-23-2003, 08:00 PM
Okay... my light is on. After changing my stock seats to some aftermarket ones, the light went on. I did the DIY paperclip thing, made the SRS light blink and all. After the SRS blink twice, then goes off. Should it stay off, or will it go back on? Cuz mines go back on after it goes off for a second or two.

If I go down to the dealer, will warrenty cover the SRS light reset?

jaydub
10-23-2003, 08:11 PM
I think that's doubtful, considering that the seats are the direct cause for the light. :\

Suk02Si
10-23-2003, 08:18 PM
Every time you reset it it turns off, then back on? Its because you have aftermarket seats that don't have the oem srs plug.

raiyo
10-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
Every time you reset it it turns off, then back on?

Yes, after the light blinks, it goes for a few seconds, then go back on. When I start my engine, it is still on.

raiyo
10-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Here is what I did, the DIY SRS reset I found on the forum.

1. Placed one paperclip into each slot in the plug
2. Hold two paperclips together, and key on (turn to II)
3. when srs light goes out, pull the two clips apart.
4. once the light goes back on, connect both clips.
5. when srs light goes out, pull the clips apart.
6. the srs then will blink twice then go out for a few sec, then back on.

did I do anything wrong?

Suk02Si
10-23-2003, 08:42 PM
Everything your doing is fine. The fact that its not plugged into the stock seat harness is the prob. After you reset it, it looks for any probs, when it finds one it turns back on.

raiyo
10-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
Everything your doing is fine. The fact that its not plugged into the stock seat harness is the prob. After you reset it, it looks for any probs, when it finds one it turns back on.

oh... ic, that makes sense. so I guess the dealer won't be able to do much even if I bring it in.

raiyo
10-23-2003, 10:28 PM
I guess you're having the same problem I have huh? You're running on some aftermarket seat belt buckle? Is it like a dead snake? or stiff as a ......?

00-ITR-373
10-24-2003, 03:52 AM
Try using a 4 ohm resistor acorss the plug you have left. THEN, reset the light using your current procedure, let me know how that goes.

StLouisSilverSI
10-24-2003, 04:35 AM
Does your car have the side airbags in the factory seats, if so you have to have those seats in the car otherwise with the SRS light on all of the airbags are deactivated...

raiyo
10-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by StLouisSilverSI
Does your car have the side airbags in the factory seats, if so you have to have those seats in the car otherwise with the SRS light on all of the airbags are deactivated...

nope, no side airbags.

raiyo
10-24-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by 00-ITR-373
Try using a 4 ohm resistor acorss the plug you have left. THEN, reset the light using your current procedure, let me know how that goes.

which plug we talking about? have this worked out for you, or i'm being the white mouse?

oldschoolimport
10-24-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by raiyo
which plug we talking about? ah.... what are ohm resistors? I know I can pick those up a Radio Shack, but dunno how they look like.
the plug is the one under the seat, that was plugged into the bottom of the seat. the resistors look like a piece of wire with a tumor. they are small. just go to radio shack and ask for it. when you get it, bend the 2 wires parallel, and push them in the plug where the other plugs pins fit in. and reset the light.

raiyo
10-24-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by oldschoolimport
the plug is the one under the seat, that was plugged into the bottom of the seat. the resistors look like a piece of wire with a tumor. they are small. just go to radio shack and ask for it. when you get it, bend the 2 wires parallel, and push them in the plug where the other plugs pins fit in. and reset the light.

there are two plugs one each side. i do that for both?

there is just one problem. I did something stupid. When removing the seats, I got the small plug out in no time, but the bigger piece took me forever.....so...... i cut the whole thing off. Bad move huh? I so regret now. I also dont have the plugs, nor the seats. anyone wanna help me out and tell me which plug has which color wires? Driver and passengerside. thx a bunch.

and the resistors we are talking about, is it these?
http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/271/271-1133.jpg

00-ITR-373
10-25-2003, 11:57 AM
That's a resistor all right. Well, I figured you had side airbags. I would still recommend that you try the resistor. No, you are not the "white mouse" trying this. Trust me. Peel back or cut off some of the plastic around the wires you have left, exposing just the metal wire, get rid of maybe 1/2 Inch of the plastic around the wire. Then twist one side of the wire around the one side of the resistor, and the same with the other wire that used to be connected to the coupler you snipped off. Make sure they are connected. Electrical tape them together or something (temporary). Then try your SRS clearing code procedure. If it works, I'd solder the resistor to your wires for a more permanent solution. Do this for both sides of the car if there was a plug under each seat. If this doesn't work let us, or me, know and I'll help you further.
Thanks, and good luck. Resistors are so cheap, just go to Radioshack as mentioned above, can't be more than $1-$2.

raiyo
10-25-2003, 12:01 PM
wanna give me a hand and telling me which wires should go to which plug? I see there are around 4-5 wires down there.

00-ITR-373
10-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Man, things have changed since the EK hatch. There are only 2 plugs to the bottom of the seat. I don't have the helms manual yet for the EP, so I'm not sure, I don't want you to just guess either, as you'd have a lot of combos and resetting the SRS light isn't that fun to do over and over. Maybe someone can chime in here with the wiring diagram.

raiyo
10-25-2003, 03:30 PM
I don't have the helms manual yet for the EP, so I'm not sure, I don't want you to just guess either, as you'd have a lot of combos and resetting the SRS light isn't that fun to do over and over. Maybe someone can chime in here with the wiring diagram.

Yup, it'll be so wonderful if someone will help me out. :'(

raiyo
10-25-2003, 03:52 PM

AHHHHHH.......10 ohm resistors okay? could only find 10 ohm. couldn't find anything smaller at radio shack.

00-ITR-373
10-25-2003, 07:06 PM
You really need to try 4 ohm. And someone really needs to post the wiring diagram from the Helms manual!

Ocelaris
10-26-2003, 11:19 AM
ok, I got a little free time, I've been lookin through the helms manual, and there's two connector's per side, I'm gonna go check the resistance on my seats and see what comes up...

00-ITR-373
10-26-2003, 11:24 AM
Thank you so much!

raiyo
10-26-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Ocelaris
ok, I got a little free time, I've been lookin through the helms manual, and there's two connector's per side, I'm gonna go check the resistance on my seats and see what comes up...

heheh, thx. as usual, Ocelaris is the tech guy. :D BTW, could u help me check which plug got which color wire also? from the seat belt side and the other side which leads to the car. thx again

Ocelaris
10-26-2003, 12:41 PM
ok, my car showed .5 ohm for two connections. There are 5 wires down there. 2 dark green plug into the brown connector, and 3 (blue w/red stripe, black, and light green) plug into the yellow connector. I didn't make note of the exact pinout, but I can get that if you really want, but you don't really need it, unless you're putting your old seats back. Anyways...

Connect roughly a 1 ohm resistor across the two dark green wires, and a 1 ohm resistor across the blue w/red stripe and black wire. They make "dummy loads" most radio shacks will know what you mean if you say dummy load, usually a ceramic cube/rectangle with wires hanging out the end. If they don't just a regualr have a 1 ohm resistor, you can use the dummy load. Probably anything within 0.1-5 ohms will work... Somebody check this and report back, I didn't want to have to reset my SRS light, so I tested it with the battery disconnected.

oh, the connector that was so hard to get off... the yellow one, is spring loaded... think of it as a doughnut with a pencil stuck through it, put your thumb on the eraser, and put your pointer and middle finger on the tip of the pencil (on either side so you squeeze it). Now imagine the doughnut is skewered on the pencil, pull your pointer and middle finger towards your thumb, and the connector releases... If the wires coming from the SRS are your thumb, and the wires going to the seat are your middle and index fingers. that's the trick. hope that helps.

Best, Bill

raiyo
10-26-2003, 12:56 PM
thx a bunch. now off to a DIFFERENT Radio shack. I hope they'll have 1 ohm resistors. btw, what are those dummy loads look like? and got the dummy load, do i have to buy it for 1 ohm or something?

is this the dummy load?
http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/271/271-131.jpg

Ocelaris
10-26-2003, 01:04 PM
yeah that's a dummy load, but I was hoping they had a 1 ohm version of it... and I'm gonna have to go back and do some more measuring, because the passenger's side has different colored wires... It looks like you're going to need 3 resistors per side, total of 6... but I'm gonna go check to make sure. brb...

raiyo
10-26-2003, 01:06 PM
yeah that's a dummy load, but I was hoping they had a 1 ohm version of it... and I'm gonna have to go back and do some more measuring, because the passenger's side has different colored wires... It looks like you're going to need 3 resistors per side, total of 6... but I'm gonna go check to make sure. brb...

thx, so glad i didnt leave the house yet.

3 resistors each side? not 2? what am I missing here? one resistor to 2 green wires and.......?

Ocelaris
10-26-2003, 01:42 PM
Ok, this should be self explanatory, you'll need 4 total resistors... 1 ohm should do.

raiyo
10-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Ok, this should be self explanatory, you'll need 4 total resistors... 1 ohm should do.

nice...i'll work on it and i'll get back to you on how it worked out.

raiyo
10-26-2003, 04:54 PM
I still wasn't able to find any 1 ohm resistors are Radio Shack. The smallest one they had was 10 ohm. They had some 2.2k, I assume they are larger than 10 right? I found an 1 ohm resistor, the dummy load one. They only had two, so I went and tried to do with two instead of 4. No good, I guess I gotta buy another 2 and give it another try.

Ocelaris
10-26-2003, 05:16 PM
yeah, you have to connect all 4 wires with resistors to get the SRS light to shut off... try the 10 ohm if you can't find any more 1 ohms... 2.2k means 2.2x1000 or 2200, k stands for kilo, like the metric "thousand" prefix.

raiyo
10-26-2003, 05:32 PM
wouldnt a 10 be an overkill and cause problems? I'm guessing it is like the fuses in our car. Place a 20 in a 10 slot and you're 20 will be blown out fast. Gonna go to a different Radio Shack again......

Ocelaris
10-26-2003, 06:29 PM
I am not sure exactly what the trigger inside the SRS mechanism is looking for, I believe as long as there is contact it's doing it's job, on the grand scheme of things, I don't think that 10 ohms is that big a deal, since the person reccomended (and presumably had success with 4 ohm). If it were my car, I'd already have a 2.2 ohm resistor in there. Now, they do sell like packages of the most commonly used resistors at radio shack, they might have a 1 or 2.2 ohm resistor in there... that's why I have lots of them... but it was like 10$, got ALOT of random resistors now. comes in handy every once in a while. Bill

00-ITR-373
10-26-2003, 06:51 PM
The 4 ohm was on the EK and DC2 Integras. Sounds like things have changed a little. Regardless, you guys are headed in the right direction.

Ocelaris
10-26-2003, 09:05 PM
I think the trigger works similar to a seatbelt catch, i.e. if there's real fast movement it makes a connection... if that's the case, a no resistance or closed connection would trigger the air bags? or I have no idea, there is a "air bag simulator" that is labeled "2 ohm" on the outside... so I can only presume there's a 2 ohm connection which keeps the connection apart. Raiyo, you wanna be a guinea pig and randomly touch all the wires together and see if the air bag inflates :-) j/k... but I'm wondering when you cut all the wires, did any of them touch? did you make any connections? because I know when we're cutting live wires, often is the case that when you cut through them, they spark as the cutters make the connection... or maybe there's a signal which uses a certain resistance to trigger... this is called a flaming out of my A$$ guess... keep us updated

raiyo
10-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Okay... I picked up another 1 ohm dummy load from a different Radio Shack. I hooked up those wires like Ocelaris said. Guess what? It didn't work. OH NO!!!! The SRS like still went on after I connected the wires and reset the SRS light like 5 times. One thing came out of the wiring, the seat belt light is now on, heheh. I tooked everything out and taped the wires with tape.

When I cut the wires off the plug I dunno if they wires touched each other. I didn't tape them off till I got home, around 50 mile drive. If they did touch, would that cause a problem?

If anyone would help me out here, it would be nice. If it isn't possible, then I'll just leave it behind till I get some stock seat belt buckles. Getting into a deal now, waiting for it to go through. All I can say is ouch! Costy... After I get the belt buckles and if the light is still on.....I'll ask for more help. I'm pretty sure some other folks have the same problem as I. Help me and the others out.

serialdriller
06-01-2008, 04:06 PM
bump was this ever resolved? I removed my passenger seat and want this light to go away for good......