PDA

View Full Version : license plate

ryanjennings
10-24-2003, 04:57 AM
Is it illegal if i take off my front license plate? I think it would look alot better.

STP03BlueSI
10-24-2003, 05:05 AM
Check with your local laws.

ep pilot
10-24-2003, 05:55 AM
If your state issues "two" plates, it's likely it's illegal.

I know for a fact Texas issues two.

-Ryan

priest6479
10-24-2003, 06:19 AM
In Jersey you have to have 2 plates, otherwise they pull you out of your car and Cock slap you.

chibianh
10-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by priest6479
they pull you out of your car and Cock slap you.

LMAO!! thanks for making my day bro.. :D

civicSIracer
10-24-2003, 09:46 AM
In Jersey you have to have 2 plates, otherwise they pull you out of your car and Cock slap you.

same shit in cali man

Mugen Power
10-24-2003, 10:29 AM
I HATE having front plates. The plate frame rubbed marks into the bumper. :mad:

Besides, I think that if a car doesn't have a front bumper with an indentation for a plate, it looks better without a plate. Actually, all cars look better without front plates.

ny-quiL
10-24-2003, 10:54 AM
Yea, car looks SOOOOO much better w/out front plate, when i bought my car i made the dealer take the front bracket off cause it looks like shit. I know in ohio its illegal to not have front plate, but knock on "e-wood" i have yet to be hassled about it. :D

bobdobbs
10-24-2003, 10:57 AM
Front plates are BOWshit. Not only are they ugly, but they screw up your aero. Try driving 65 while holding a license plate out the window. You can't. What do the fucks at the DMV think that does to gas mileage? Oh, that's a different department... :confused:

Brettnyt
10-24-2003, 11:22 AM
Yup, illegal here in WA too... I know some people have gotten ticketed for it... The one guy says its still worth it for the clean look... Looks so much better w/o it on the EP!

Zero Three Si
10-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Front plates are BOWshit. Not only are they ugly, but they screw up your aero. Try driving 65 while holding a license plate out the window. You can't. What do the fucks at the DMV think that does to gas mileage? Oh, that's a different department... :confused:

That's why there is no front plate on my car. My front plate is sitting on my front dash stuck between the dash and the windshield. My neighbor is a cop and we always have a few cold ones. I asked him if it's illegal to do that. He said no...since technically my front plate is visible. The cop can still pull me over for it to be a dick. If the cop has a hard on....he can write me a written warning to put it on the bummer. However he CAN'T give me a ticket for having it on my front dash.

Besides it makes it harder to wash the bumper and wax the bumper with the plate on.

blueiedgod
10-24-2003, 12:00 PM
I took mine off a few weeks back. The plate holder rubbed into the bumer and left a mark. It looks a lot better without the front plate. When I visited my family, they thought I bought another car, lol. It changes the look of it.

bobdobbs
10-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
Besides it makes it harder to wash the bumper and wax the bumper with the plate on.
You gotta give it to Honda, though, for doing a proper out-of-sight plate mount and not just screwing it into the front bumper, like a lot of cars.

Zero Three Si
10-24-2003, 12:21 PM
You gotta give it to Honda, though, for doing a proper out-of-sight plate mount and not just screwing it into the front bumper, like a lot of cars.

Yes the one thing they did do right! I had a 94 EX coupe before the Ep. God I've never realize how nasty it looks when the plate is screwed into the bumper.

bobdobbs
10-24-2003, 12:24 PM
Nice avatar, you prick! :D

Zero Three Si
10-24-2003, 12:31 PM
Don't hate because mine's bigger!!:cool:

bobdobbs
10-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Use this one. Looks more authentic:

Zero Three Si
10-24-2003, 12:42 PM
But that's old school....I'm new school!!

eurosteez
10-24-2003, 01:20 PM
That funny I always though the front wasn't mandatory in CA. I've been drivin 8 months without it. I've been pulled over 3 times since i took it off and the popo's didn't say anything about it. Finally a little good luck i guess. :banana:

BarracksSi
10-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Here's another possibility, although its legality may depend on your local cops --

I bent the top & bottom parts of the plate back, and used zipties to secure it to the grille area.

Before doing that, though, I asked a meter maid and another cop about whether it would fly as a legal plate. What I was told was, "As long as all the letters & numbers are visible, and they match the whole unaltered plate in the back, it's okay." No legal issues so far, and it's been this way since April or May (I've forgotten already!).

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p34f37fa496cef4abdab4c1a487da5665/fb0dee01.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p631d10b30fc3715c1e10adbfca2cad7a/fb04e748.jpg

Stoop
10-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
technically my front plate is visible. The cop can still pull me over for it to be a dick. If the cop has a hard on....he can write me a written warning to put it on the bummer. However he CAN'T give me a ticket for having it on my front dash.

Yeah that's what happened to me in my '00 Si. I keep my plate in the window and got the screw hole covers. Well, a cop pulled me over just for the hell of it and tried to tell me it couldn't be in the window and that it had to be MOUNTED to the front of the car. He didn't give me a ticket, just a warning though.....it's still in my window....:D

Brettnyt
10-24-2003, 02:49 PM

Very true!

DownTheHatch
10-24-2003, 03:47 PM
God bless Florida. No smog tests, no front plates.

BSEVEER
10-24-2003, 04:05 PM
To keep the mount from rubbing through the paint on my front bumper this is what I did: Take the plate off the mount, towards the top there is a recessed area about 1" square. I took a cork from a wine bottle and cut off a piece obout 1/2" thick or less. Then I used a small sheet metal screw to secure the cork to the mount. Now the only part that rests on the bumper is the cork. I don't have a digi cam or I'd post some pics. This has got to be the cheapest mod possible and you score a bottle of wine out of the deal too! I guess my car isn't stock anymore huh?;) :D

Rueda del Queso
10-24-2003, 05:10 PM
I ripped off the front plate holder first day I got my car, it was so ugly. Haven't gotten any crap about it. There is a trick you can use that if you ever get pulled over though. Only works in some states though and you have to be registered in another state. In NY, and some other states, they say in the vehicle and traffic laws that you only have to comply with the equipment requirements for your state. So if some cop pulls you over, I'm registered in CT, I would just tell him in CT you only have to have 1 (it's actually 2, but why would he know?).

chubbychu
10-24-2003, 05:22 PM
if its just the letters that the cops want, is it legal to have a printout of your plate made in vinyl and stuck on like a sticker? that would be cool! or would it just attract more attention.

Brettnyt
10-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
if its just the letters that the cops want, is it legal to have a printout of your plate made in vinyl and stuck on like a sticker? that would be cool! or would it just attract more attention.

I have heard of a similar way of displaying your plate... On a mesh grill in the lower bumper area, if you paint a part of it white and then the numbers on that, you can see the numbers from far away, but not from close up... cool eh?

chubbychu
10-24-2003, 06:37 PM
i dunno, im gonna take my plate to the sticker man and have him print me up vinyl numbers and "california" stickers in the exact font

Brettnyt
10-25-2003, 12:46 AM
I just pulled up next to a cop and asked him the law... He said that it has to be displayed on the front bumper... :( Oh well...

bobdobbs
10-25-2003, 01:02 AM
Cops are often mistaken when it comes to the actual law. Look it up.

Brettnyt
10-25-2003, 01:59 AM
Cops are often mistaken when it comes to the actual law. Look it up.

Yeah, thats what i was thinking, but he seemed AWFULLY sure of it...

BSEVEER
10-25-2003, 03:23 AM
They may be mistaken but that wont keep them from pulling your ass over.

cj miller
10-25-2003, 04:52 AM
otherwise they pull you out of your car and Cock slap you.

hahha yeah we get those piglets in cali also.