PDA

View Full Version : Rattle revisited

hamproof
10-24-2003, 05:10 AM
I read through all the new posts about rattles but I still haven't found a fix to this rattle that I've in my car. I posted a whole bunch last year and earlier this year to no avail.

This rattle is coming from the driver left side, around the vents and cup holder. It came on last year during the cold months and it's coming back again this year. As the temp. got warmer earlier this year, the rattle went away. Now, it is coming back and it is really annoying. I can hear it going over bumps or uneven roads. Right now the temp. is about mid 40s.

Any ideas?

BlasTech
10-24-2003, 07:23 AM
I had a problem with a horrendous rattle coming from above my center console. I took it out and stuffed a bunch of foam rubber into all the nooks and crannies, and fixed it.

I think the side of that panel (that is hidden by the door sill when you close the door, and revealed when the door is open) is removable. You might be able to do something similar in there.

SSMep3
10-24-2003, 12:49 PM
i had a vibration there as well and i found two screws under the dash and i just tightened them a bit and the vibration went away

psylovibe
10-24-2003, 01:10 PM
hamproof, Iam actually experiancing the same problem as you, from the same area I hear it from...It just started like last week when teh cold kicked in...wonder what is causing it.If you do find out, let me know.Ill do the same for you.

cbecker333
10-24-2003, 01:58 PM
I have a rattle from right behind the gauge pod, from the top/middle of the dashboard, from the rear (probably because I messed up a clip when I DIY'd my sunroof safety feature), and about 2 or 3 distinct - and often simultaneous - rattles inside the drivers side door. These don't bother me a bit. I would be absolutely ecstatic if rattles were my only problem:p

P.S. one time I had a weird, but loud clicking sound every time I launched from a complete stop. It went away at the end of last winter...so it is very likely coming back soon.

dchu
10-24-2003, 04:27 PM
I have a ticking noise in the same area and only when cold. I think it may be coming from the plastic sheeting in the door. Doesn't really bother me though since I live in cali and it only gets cold enough on some nights for it to occur.

robo
10-24-2003, 06:59 PM
I have had similar problem with my first 02 SiR and after a month and a half at the dealer, they believed they fixed the rattle. In the end, after a few failed attempts at welding in the area where the firewall and A-pillar come together the dealer sectioned the A-pillar to access inside where a spot-weld had not taken from the factory...that's quality! I never ended up finding out if they finally fixed it because after many calls and an email that made it through to some top people at Honda Canada, they gave me a new car. My second SiR started off good, but then developed a few rattles and a very annoying creak from the bottom/rear of the passenger door. I brought it to another dealer to get the creak looked at and they ended up welding the body near where the passenger seat belt is attached to the body. Again apparently it was another spot weld that did not hold. The creak is now fixed, but still have some other rattles. At this point I am not sure what I will do about those.

Sorry my first post here is so long and on the negative side, but I thought it is something you guys should know.

Good Luck

blackyEP3
10-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by robo
I never ended up finding out if they finally fixed it because after many calls and an email that made it through to some top people at Honda Canada, they gave me a new car.

Sorry my first post here is so long and on the negative side, but I thought it is something you guys should know.

Good Luck

WOW.....the FORCE is with you young one! I haven't read too many people getting their way with Honda Canada!! What other problems did you have? Are they selling your old one for CHEAP? ;) Which patch of Canada are you in? Drop by the Ontario forum and check it out.

robo
10-25-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by blackyEP3
WOW.....the FORCE is with you young one! I haven't read too many people getting their way with Honda Canada!! What other problems did you have? Are they selling your old one for CHEAP? ;) Which patch of Canada are you in? Drop by the Ontario forum and check it out.

Yeah, I was lucky because I was getting no where with customer service, they were absolutely no help. I managed to get an email to the vice-president and president and the next day the lady I was dealing with at customer service phoned me and told me that they are replacing it. She wasn't even sure what happened because she asked if I had talked to anyone else there not knowing I sent the email.

In the process of getting the second SiR I was given the number for Honda Canada which allows access to the company directory for everyone working there. Since the second SiR had developed the creak I called and left a voice mail directly to the vice-president about it and had a gentleman phone the next day on his behalf. They took care of this problem much faster, but like I meintioned before there are still some rattles I have not had fixed.

The only other problem on the first Ep was the rear speakers rattling which were probably loose, but they replaced them. Last time I seen it was at Formula Honda when I picked up the new one(2.5 months ago), I am not sure what they planned on doing with.

oh yeah almost forgot.......I am in the Toronto area.

Tenacious G
10-25-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
I think the side of that panel (that is hidden by the door sill when you close the door, and revealed when the door is open) is removable. You might be able to do something similar in there.

i posted this same thought a while back, although i've been too lazy to do anything about it. i get the rattle when driving on rougher roads or any music with significant bass. so i played some music while sitting in the driveway and the door open. the rattle would go away when i pushed on the side panel. or i can get it to stop while driving by applying pressure in the gap between the door panel and dash.

i'm going to see if there is any solution tomorrow afternoon assuming it stops raining here.

BlasTech
10-25-2003, 09:01 PM
If all you need is some pressure, try getting some adhesive weather stripping from the auto-store and stick it onto the panel, so when the door is closed, it applies the pressure. Let us know if it works out!

Tenacious G
10-26-2003, 11:40 AM
that's actually exactly what i was going to try to do. i'm off to do this in a little while. i'll post again later today to let you know how it goes. if i had a digicam i'd post pics, but alas, i'm poor.

hamproof
10-27-2003, 10:16 AM
In my case, I've looked at the center console for anything loose. Found nothing. I took off the door panel and didn't notice anything that might vibrate that cause the rattling sound. I took off the steering wheel lower cover, cluster trim, various panels under or around the driver side and the sound is still present.

Strange thing is this occurs when it is cold. Could be plastic shrinkage when cold but I'm thinking maybe it's the silicone around the vents. Someone told me it could be the sensor that is tapped into the ducts sealed w/ silicone.

Unfortunately I can't remove the upper dash cover and look inside at the ducts.

The best I've done is taking off the cluster trim, removing the cluster and looking inside. I tried jiggling the ducts a bit but it doesn't make any sound that I hear when I drive.

Usually when cold and over bumps. But on irregular roads, it does make the sound as well.

silver ep
10-27-2003, 10:26 AM
This rattle is coming from the driver left side, around the vents and cup holder. It came on last year during the cold months and it's coming back again this year. As the temp. got warmer earlier this year, the rattle went away. Now, it is coming back and it is really annoying. I can hear it going over bumps or uneven roads. Right now the temp. is about mid 40s.

I have the same damn problem... can't figure it out. Hopefully someone will, it drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

Mezri
10-27-2003, 01:38 PM
OK I know this is gonna sound weird, but you guys are describing the exact same sound as I started hearing about 2 months ago.

It sounds like its coming from RIGHT behind the steering column, maybe the top of the dash, up under the windshield. But try this....next time you hear that rattle, look UP! Push up on the spot right where the sun visor and the roof liner and the top of the windshield meet. As funny as this sounds, this is where my rattle was coming from. For some reason the acoustics in the front of the car make it sound like the sound is coming from a lower position than it really is. If it was just me, I wouldnt even tell you guys, but 2 friends of mine who own EPs have fixed this exact same problem (described initially as in the dash as well) by stuffing some foam up into the headliner at that spot.

Try it and let me know if this works.

BlasTech
10-27-2003, 02:24 PM
Merzi has a good point about tricky acoustics.

Once my wife and I argued back and forth about whose door was rattling for about 20 minutes, then we figured out it was a pair of sunglasses in the center pocket by the E-brake making all the noise. :confused:

AkronSi
10-27-2003, 02:33 PM
I just found a lose clip to the right of the sunroof opening. It had been driving me crazy and I finally pushed on it super hard and heard it clip into place.

1 down....a shit load more to go :(

I know of a guy with a 911 that made his wife ride around in the back seat with a stethescope (sp?) trying to track down a rattle, then took the seats out and made her drive sitting on a stool while he could check for rattles....then ultimately found a loose bolt in a crossmember under where the seats were mounted. Talk about dedication.

hamproof
10-28-2003, 06:39 AM
Mezri - I've looked at the visor. That's a common problem. Either the visor is not snapped in place or the flip thingy is rattling. Unfortunately in my case, that's not the problem.

The other common problem is the tweeter housing. That's not my problem either. I took the tweeter housing off last year and drove around. Still there. Took most of the panels, storage etc. around the driver side off and sound is still there.

The only thing I haven't remove if the upper dash panel and A-Pillar. A-Pillar seem a little tight for me to try to pry it loose. I fear I might break it.

Upper dash panel seem like a big job to remove.

I've also remove the steering column panels but to no avail.

Someone told me it could be the dried up silicone cracking from the cold. But only way to find out is to remove the upper dash panel.

Oh yeah, I also bought one of those mechanic stethescope. Kinda hard to listen and drive at the same time esp. when the sound only comes on when going over bumps. Besides the SI is not a very smooth and quiet car. Even going over regular roads, the end of the stethescope picks up all sort of noise. Those are good for a stationary car running and listening to engine sound. Not trying to fix rattles.

Mwing
11-05-2003, 09:25 PM
I don't know if it is caused by cold weather or not, I picked up my car 3 weeks ago, haven't noticed any rattles. But these days weather changed to cold, I started noticed it, should be around passenger side upper area (around the height of shoulder if there is a passenger sitting there) in my case.

I thought it was from the seat belt, I tried fastening all of them, the rattles was still there.

I also noticed that with sun roof closed but that cover opened, there is also rattle from there. Tried pushing that cover upwards, still there.

1abSi
11-05-2003, 10:03 PM
my whole f-ing car rattles from having the motor mount inserts in and constantly running a/c living in FL....sucks...would take them out but would hate to lose the performance

chubbychu
11-05-2003, 10:36 PM
why dont you just fix the rattles while you are vibrating away with the motor mount inserts?

chubbychu
11-23-2003, 10:54 PM
guys im officially ticked. all i hear are the rattles. i just wanna fix them but i cANT!

1) coming from the center console the little vent direction changers are rattling.
2) something from the back is rattling really loudly
3) and something in the door. its driving me NUTS NUTS NUTS!