PDA

View Full Version : full coilovers: spoon vs. mugen

stocksi22
10-24-2003, 11:46 AM
im getting either of these for christmas and i was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge about how good the spoon coilovers are. i dont know if anyone has them on here but if u guys could give me ur .02 then that would be apprieciated. thanks

stocksi22
10-24-2003, 12:16 PM

andy
10-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Where have you seen the Spoon Coilovers for sale? Are they made
for the CTR? (To my knowledge, there isn't a set for the USDM
Si, yet.)

The Mugen coilovers seem to make their owners very happy. They also
seem to be just about perfect for people not interested in tinkering
with their suspension/alignment (since they aren't adjustable). Lastly,
if you just want these for a daily driver, the Mugen is probably your
best bet.

bobdobbs
10-24-2003, 12:23 PM
Are the poons shipping?

Hatch, Si Hatch
10-24-2003, 01:08 PM
I have the Mugen setup and I love it. Has a nice everyday ride, firm but nice, only gets harsh over un-even surfaces. So far the performance is awesome, I haven't been to a auto-x yet w/ them, so I can't comment on that.

I haven't heard anything about the spoon setup. I saw a picture on their website once, but it didn't have a price or anything.

Civicvtec1ps
10-24-2003, 01:14 PM
where can you get spoon fullcoilovers for ep3 ? more info please?
spoon makes springs and shocks. but you can buy them seperate so yea. mugen isnt even fullcoilovers just shocks and springs combo.

Burgh
10-24-2003, 01:25 PM
http://www.aj-racing.com/spoon-sports/ep3-suspension.html

andy
10-24-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Burgh

Hmmm...interesting. I didn't realize Spoon had this stuff available
for our cars. I guess the hard part is finding someone who sells
it...

Anyway, I found prices for two Spoon coilover kits:

CIVIC EP-3 02-up 51600-DC5-G00 $2,750.00
Adjustable Wrench $55.00
DAMPER KIT (NON ADJ. TYPE)
CIVIC EP-3 02-up 51600-DC5-000 $950.00

This was off of R&D Motorsports site.

stocksi22
10-24-2003, 02:22 PM
r&d motorsports and aj-racing were the same places that i found them, im not sure if they are shipping yet but if someone would give those guys a call im sure they would let us know. but i would have to guess that since spoon is fairly knowledgable about racing, theyre coilovers would have to be pretty decent

Burgh
10-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by andy
Hmmm...interesting. I didn't realize Spoon had this stuff available
for our cars. I guess the hard part is finding someone who sells
it...

Nope, Spoon hasn't let them (AJ) know when those dampers will be available yet. When I emailed the guy, I was told that the high-end damper will probably run around $2200 whenever it becomes available. I also heard a rumor on this site that Spoon was not going to make these for the EP at all. So... don't hold your breath.

word...booty
10-25-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Hatch, Si Hatch
I have the Mugen setup and I love it. Has a nice everyday ride, firm but nice, only gets harsh over un-even surfaces. So far the performance is awesome, I haven't been to a auto-x yet w/ them, so I can't comment on that.

I haven't heard anything about the spoon setup. I saw a picture on their website once, but it didn't have a price or anything.

Hatch, Si Hatch...do you have any updated pics of your car with the Mugen suspension in? I clicked on the link in your sig, but the pics have the stock suspension.

00-ITR-373
10-25-2003, 03:34 PM
Count me in for wanting more pics of EP's with Mugen Suspension!

SiMPLE_SiMON
10-25-2003, 04:25 PM
Everyone who's gotten the Mugens seems to like them very much. Not too harsh, good drop, cheap price, quality construction and engineering, etc.

They're biggest downside is that they are heavy as hell and will obviously hurt your acceleration and braking compared to other coilovers (like KWs).

trabadoo22
10-25-2003, 07:19 PM
www.wiredspeed.com

The link above is to a website that claims to have a non-adjustable suspension setup by Spoon for the ep. For some reason it won't let me link to the exact page on the website. So to check them out click on Spoon, scroll down the page and they are the yellow ones below the fully adjustable setup. I'm not sure if these are ep specific. They are listed for the ep and also the rsx. If they work for the ep it would be a good price though.

They're biggest downside is that they are heavy as hell and will obviously hurt your acceleration and braking compared to other coilovers (like KWs).

I believe someone weighed the Mugens and said they weigh same as the stock suspension. They probably weigh more than other coilovers, but I don't think they weigh as much as everyone thinks.

SiMPLE_SiMON
10-25-2003, 07:50 PM
Nope. Numerous people have weighed the Mugens as being about 10lbs heavier than stock, which is about 40lbs heavier than KWs. Not a huge deal, especially in an entry-level setup, but it all adds up. Our cars are pretty heavy to begin with.

eurosteez
10-25-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Burgh

That site has some intersting products.:) :)

trabadoo22
10-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Nope. Numerous people have weighed the Mugens as being about 10lbs heavier than stock, which is about 40lbs heavier than KWs.

Hmm, I must have mistaken what the other person said then, or he/she may have been wrong.

That site has some intersting products.

Ya the Spoon non-adjustable set is on there too. The other site had them listed for $670-something. For a Spoon suspension that seems like a pretty good deal.

Hatch, Si Hatch
10-26-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by SiMPLE_SiMON
Nope. Numerous people have weighed the Mugens as being about 10lbs heavier than stock, which is about 40lbs heavier than KWs. Not a huge deal, especially in an entry-level setup, but it all adds up. Our cars are pretty heavy to begin with.

I didn't put mine on the scales or anything but they seemed to weigh the same as the stock ones. Plus, thats what the website says.

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?detail=1549&vehicle=Civic

@doval
10-27-2003, 06:19 PM
Seems a lot of people with the mugen setup are very very happy...i am about to purchase the mugen setup this week :D :D :D :D

rswbrixton
10-27-2003, 06:42 PM
My Mugen suspension is arriving at my shop tomorrow morning !!! Ordered early September and finally made it across the ocean to Canada !! Big Big ups to the good people at A-J RACING , Vancouver B.C. .

Photos will follow soon . Going to be a relief to get off these damn Neuspeed Race and my blown OEM shocks.

Gasp23
10-30-2003, 09:59 AM
I'm saving for the Mugen suspension.

Does anyone have updated pics of their ride with the Mugen setup?

siep
10-30-2003, 10:58 AM
Here's a couple of old links of the kit installed on my car.
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18500
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18793

fsugatorbait
10-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Neither, get KW's!

digitldlnkwnt
12-17-2003, 06:48 PM
King Motorsports says that the mugen suspension weighs the same as stock and for one can believe that since they are basically just recalibrated stock shocks.
they pulled out the stuffings and made them what they were supposed to be in the first place. IMHO

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?detail=1549&vehicle=Civic

thems the words i be speakin. They maybe lying...i dunno <shrug>

SiR_d1
01-11-2004, 09:54 PM
now that I have a chance of getting the Mugen's, I have to be bias now and say Mugens:D

Dunrick
01-11-2004, 10:22 PM
correct me if im wrong, but if the spoon coilovers work for the type r ep3, they shoudl work for our ep3

we have the same suspension....