PDA

View Full Version : HOLY CRAP.....Mugen Air Box

EKON
10-25-2003, 09:25 AM
I just saw this on KingMotorsports website, they want $617 for the Mugen RSX Air Box.

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?detail=1576

Later,
EKON

Zero Three Si
10-25-2003, 10:13 AM
I don't know who's worse....Hondata or these guys! lol

Brettnyt
10-25-2003, 11:02 AM
DAMN!!!! :eek:

Peking
10-25-2003, 11:06 AM
Monkey balls :eek: I don't think that I will be saving up for that one.

00-ITR-373
10-25-2003, 12:27 PM
That's awesome. Since the Neuspeed intake is the same for both RSX and EP, wonder if the Mugen one is. Nah, they'd say so if it were.

HOW MUCH LONGER>>>>>before the EP gets a cat back and intake for it from Mugen?!!!!

RMC22
10-25-2003, 01:22 PM
id hit it :cool:

Zero Three Si
10-25-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by RMC22
id hit it :cool:

Did he see something I didn't?

SiR Medic
10-25-2003, 04:43 PM
:shockm:

**spits martini on to computer screen**

HOLEE SHIT!

For that price, it better have a light-pressure turbo built into it!:confusem:

Yes, Mugen IS the shit, but $600 bones is a little much for something that looks awfully like the Comptech airbox.

Peking
10-25-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
**spits martini on to computer screen**
HOLEE SHIT!
Yes, Mugen IS the shit, but $600 bones is a little much for something that looks awfully like the Comptech airbox.

Ya, screw that. I'll just stick with a reg. intake from Injen :D

Lucid Moments
10-25-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic

HOLEE SHIT!

Forget turbo, for that price it better do some things my girlfriend won't.:tongue:

87gn
10-25-2003, 06:54 PM
they want $617 for the Mugen RSX Air Box.

lmfao, the sad part about it is when some one actually buys it for there car every one else is gona be going gaga over it even though he took it up the ass:rolleyes:

00-ITR-373
10-25-2003, 07:03 PM
I can't believe how much you guys complain about the price. It's Mugen. If I want "cheaper" mods with less R&D behind them, I'll go with AEM or Injen. Not that they don't dyno their products, because they do too, but they are designed for different things. Mugen is not after peak HP, they are after area under the HP and TQ curves, and generally they NEVER lose HP. Even AEM's plots lose HP and TQ at certain parts in the rev range. DC sports headers, Comptech ICE Box, they all ususally have a dip here and there. Mugen has the only wind tunnel tested aero kits unlike all the show kits and wings. And on top of it all, they ARE lowering their prices. (edit: only for the first few people)
A) The RSX intake is cheaper than the previous Integra Type R intake.
B) Scott has been courteous enough to offer a 5% discount to the first few buyers of the intake. I've not seen that in the past.

I hope they don't come to this site as they'd see a lot of complaining. Personally, I'm hoping they make bolt on mods for the EP, but if I was them, I'd assume no one here would buy it. I'm all for inexpensive mods and YES I wish Mugen was cheaper.

rs_1101
10-26-2003, 12:27 AM
i know its mugen too, but id like you to consider this:

theres about 5$ worth of abs plastic in that thing

theres about 3$ worth of air filter in that thing.

thats prices for premium parts too. so, let give mugen some credit, maybe theres like 15$ worth of crap in there. so ur telling me that 590$ PER UNIT in R&D going into an airbox.

most of mugens products do rock, and they arent that bad of prices, but imo,
600$ for an airbox is terrible. thats 2x what any other leading box/cai/whatever will cost me.

Brettnyt
10-26-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by mlkelley68
Forget turbo, for that price it better do some things my girlfriend won't.:tongue:

HAHAHA, thats hilarious man...

00-ITR-373
10-26-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by rs_1101
i know its mugen too, but id like you to consider this:
theres about 5$ worth of abs plastic in that thing
theres about 3$ worth of air filter in that thing.....(edit)..let give mugen some credit, maybe theres like 15$ worth of crap in there. so ur telling me that 590$ PER UNIT in R&D going into an airbox.
I agree with you, It doesn't cost $590 of R&D to make that box. But someone posted the dyno plots on clubrsx, and it's awesome, no losses anywhere. Were the gains as good as AEM or Injen, maybe not. Hard to tell as the plots were on the DC5R which is already more refined and making more HP than the RSX-S. I can see both sides. Definately a lot of money goes for the name. I keep going back to their body kits. $5K or something for the full RSX Kit. How much $$ material is in that? I don't know, but the fact that no one wind tunnel tests, they can charge that much because no one has a product to compete against them.

Kind of diminishing returns, you know. Other companies will get you 80% there for 50% of the price, but if you want that last 20%, you have to pay a LOT more. That's where all the debating on buying it comes in I guess. I've had a ton of parts on my cars in the past. One thing that I LOVE about the Mugen pieces is that they always fit perfect. I can't say the same for AEM, Apexi, and some seat rails I've had, etc.

87gn
10-26-2003, 09:25 AM
I don't know, but the fact that no one wind tunnel tests, they can charge that much because no one has a product to compete against them.

lmfao, we both know that every single one of those kits are going to be put on street cars so WHY do they need to be wind tunnel tested? its not like your going to be racing in the datona 500:rolleyes: face it the only reasion there even wind tunnel tested is so that they can advertise it and sell more kits to suckers who dont know any better.

00-ITR-373
10-26-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by 87gn
WHY do they need to be wind tunnel tested? its not like your going to be racing in the datona 500:rolleyes:
Here's the specs:
"Increases downforce by 168 percent
Reduces it's drag by 11 percent"
If I remember correctly this was at 60 mph.
So, it looks like you don't have to be racing in the daytona 500 to take advantage of the aerodynamics, unless a person never sees the highway.

Also there are many people on here who happen to track their car. And the people who want it for the street are likely not going to want to spend $5K on the kit.

IceD out N CALI
10-26-2003, 11:11 AM
pricey:confused:

rs_1101
10-26-2003, 08:44 PM
i must agree. at least quality is impeccable on most mugen stuff. but this thread was about the intake.. idk. i think they should ask more like 300-400 for it. that would at least be decent. but i guess part of the point of mugen is that not everyone can buy it..

IceD out N CALI
10-26-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by rs_1101
i must agree. at least quality is impeccable on most mugen stuff. but this thread was about the intake.. idk. i think they should ask more like 300-400 for it. that would at least be decent. but i guess part of the point of mugen is that not everyone can buy it..

yup, its exclusivity

EKON
10-27-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by 00-ITR-373
I can't believe how much you guys complain about the price....
Scott has been courteous enough to offer a 5% discount to the first few buyers of the intake. I've not seen that in the past.

I hope they don't come to this site as they'd see a lot of complaining. Personally, I'm hoping they make bolt on mods for the EP, but if I was them, I'd assume no one here would buy it. I'm all for inexpensive mods and YES I wish Mugen was cheaper.

I didn't post this to dog King and Mugen, because if I had the money I'd be the first in line to get one (same as alot of you here). Its just that the price is a little steep for me and a few other people on this forum, but I like the fact that King is applying time to getting us these parts (I'm waiting for the Mugen Front Lip). We all love Mugen, but not all of us can afford it.

MUGEN IS THE SHIT!:D

Later,
EKON

STP03BlueSI
10-27-2003, 11:55 AM
damn...thats pricy

02SilverSiHB
10-27-2003, 12:26 PM
not worth it at all.

tony speed
10-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by 00-ITR-373
That's awesome. Since the Neuspeed intake is the same for both RSX and EP, wonder if the Mugen one is. Nah, they'd say so if it were.

Not necessarily. The sway bars are listed as rsx but they fit the ep3. it probably does fit. mail them and see.

soniccar
10-27-2003, 07:21 PM
I emailed them some time ago. They said the following:

"Thank you for your email. Mugen does have plans to produce an airbox for the
USDM Civic Si. It will be based on the Mugen airbox for the RSX, but with
dimensions for the Civic Si.

We will post any information as it becomes available to the news section of
our website www.kingmotorsports.com

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,"

Don't worry about "dogging" on Mugen. They are having enough problems due to tax evasion. In fact Mr. Honda was forced to resign due to how much they owed. Could be they have less of a Honda focus now and less access to Honda R&D facilities. ... If they survive court.

soniccar
10-27-2003, 07:38 PM
oh, I see what you guys are talking about. They just added the USDM RSX airbox. Probably has a slightly different mount for the pipe to the engine bay.

Someone email them and ask. They are prompt in reply, and I need to tell my wife so it can be here by Christmas.

RMC22
10-29-2003, 06:20 PM
Um.. to maintain their reputation? To not release anything that doesn't live up to the standards of actually being 100% functional and productive. I'd offer a better response, but they don't make mugen parts for buicks, so maybe some other time.

Originally posted by 87gn
lmfao, we both know that every single one of those kits are going to be put on street cars so WHY do they need to be wind tunnel tested? its not like your going to be racing in the datona 500:rolleyes: face it the only reasion there even wind tunnel tested is so that they can advertise it and sell more kits to suckers who dont know any better.

SuperCoolBlueSI
10-30-2003, 11:30 AM
The thing is will the rsx box fit the 03 si?
ya the thing about it is its mugen the ultra bling for the honda racer. you open your hood and you see aem its a "me too part" but you see mugen youll be the coolest si in town.

potator
10-31-2003, 05:14 PM
Not surprising when they've got a $680 tool kit. :winkm:

87gn
10-31-2003, 11:15 PM
you open your hood and you see aem its a "me too part" but you see mugen youll be the coolest si in town.

see what i mean:rolleyes:

moodkiller
11-01-2003, 08:53 PM
I THINK IN THE END YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...WHETHER IT BE MUGEN OR SOME NO NAME GENERIC COMPANY.IM JUST SAYIN'

LHD_EP3
11-14-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by potator
Not surprising when they've got a $680 tool kit. :winkm:

I want that tool kit.

CIVICBOOST
04-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
yup, its exclusivity

and its now installed on my EP3:D

BISDAK-R
05-02-2004, 12:25 PM
you're not paying for the box you're paying for the name "MUGEN" if that were me I would save the money for cyberantion...............

CIVICBOOST
05-02-2004, 05:51 PM
I'm going the JRSC route, so I dont have to get rid of my Mugen airbox. I want my car to be faster but at the same time I'm not looking to be the quickest out there;)
Its just my daily driver:)
Side note:
The Mugen airbox and Hondata combo I'm running makes the EP pull really hard. It pulls way better than my AEM CAI/hondata combo or Injen SRI/hondata combo plus I've retained part throttle acceleration which is a blessing for daily driving. Mugen is pricey but I like it alot
-Rob

sspicollo8
05-04-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by CIVICBOOST
I'm going the JRSC route, so I dont have to get rid of my Mugen airbox. I want my car to be faster but at the same time I'm not looking to be the quickest out there;)
Its just my daily driver:)
Side note:
The Mugen airbox and Hondata combo I'm running makes the EP pull really hard. It pulls way better than my AEM CAI/hondata combo or Injen SRI/hondata combo plus I've retained part throttle acceleration which is a blessing for daily driving. Mugen is pricey but I like it alot
-Rob

Did you just use the RSX airbox or what? If so, did it bolt right in?

CIVICBOOST
05-05-2004, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by sspicollo8
Did you just use the RSX airbox or what? If so, did it bolt right in?

Yeah, I installed the Type S box not sure if it was going to fit and it does. The box fits perfect, I only needed to make a bracket to make the ram air tube stay put behind the grill. I ordered the Mugen grill from Kingmotorsports and it should be at my house by the time I get back from ShowstoppersUSA with my CTR valvecover and coilpack cover:D

-Rob

Rossco
07-10-2004, 12:16 PM
I spent

VietSi
07-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Rossco....at the current exhange rate, thats US$815 !!! You can buy a lot of stuff for that price.

tony speed
07-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Rossco....at the current exhange rate, thats US$815 !!! You can buy a lot of stuff for that price.
Plus, we don't have the R in the US. To get those kind of gains, if accurate, you'd need a k20a2 swap....it would not give the a3 that much of a gain...although that gain seems VERY high for an airbox mod.

STP03BlueSI
07-12-2004, 12:29 PM
damn talkin about Ass rapin. :shockm:

akatz22
07-12-2004, 01:00 PM
hehehe...funny!