PDA

View Full Version : Performance, Not Sound or Looks

Lynx
10-25-2003, 03:09 PM
I did a search on exhaust and all the post where about sound an looks.I wasnt looking to spend $300-$500 just on looks and sound. I was wondering what would be the best cat back exhuast for low end gains. Is the Borla or HKS systems worth getting for a performance gain? Or should I just stick with stock.

00-ITR-373
10-25-2003, 03:25 PM
I'm sure this is not what you want to hear, but e-mail King Motorsports and ask them to make a Cat Back for our EP! That would have to be one of the best systems out there period.

Zero Three Si
10-25-2003, 03:38 PM
You want performance for cheap.....you want sound for cheap???
Get a midpipe. You just don't get the looks. It won't run you more than 100 bucks.

SiR Medic
10-25-2003, 05:02 PM
If all you want is performance, not sound or looks, DON'T EVEN LOOK AT CAT-BACKS.

It has been found that the stock muffler is very free flowing, (it is the same as the Type-R muffler)

The Si's bottleneck is the mid-pipe, spend $100 bucks or so on one of these to get about the same increase as a full Cat-back.

Peking
10-25-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
If all you want is performance, not sound or looks, DON'T EVEN LOOK AT CAT-BACKS.
It has been found that the stock muffler is very free flowing, (it is the same as the Type-R muffler)
The Si's bottleneck is the mid-pipe, spend $100 bucks or so on one of these to get about the same increase as a full Cat-back.

If that's the way you want to go, then go for it:)
But then again cat-back has other qualities, like looks, and sound. Just got to ask yourself is it worth the extra money. Like so many I like my HKS exhaust.

andy
10-25-2003, 06:21 PM
The Magnaflow cat-back exhaust has a dyno, showing something like
a 10 hp gain (and gains throughout the RPM range). You can find it
on eBay for under 300.

rs_1101
10-26-2003, 12:30 AM
yea what he said. go with magnaflow. 10 hp across the chart cannot be argued with.
they actually did the test dyno on an ephatch members car too, so its definitly legit. magnet flow.

but the midpipe aint bad either. if you want to keep low end, get a 2 inch midpipe. ill give you props if you experiment with different sizes

Brettnyt
10-26-2003, 12:44 AM
I have heard nothing but praise to magnaflow... Sounds like a helluva deal for the cash... :D