PDA

View Full Version : a few questions...

djaaronk
10-25-2003, 06:25 PM
Sup guys...I'm new here to ephatch.com. I currently drive an '01 Civic Ex Coupe and am seriously wanting to sell and get an Si. Would you all recommend the Si? I am just looking for fun/reliable transportation...maybe some mods way down the line. I was wondering what kind of gas mileage can I expect with a stock Si? I am trying to wait for an '04 cause I love the new wheels and head/tail lights. Oh yeah, one more thing, and I did search...What does EP stand for? Thanks.

shimmy_yaz
10-25-2003, 06:58 PM
Yes you would be great getting the SI. It is a very fun to drive, smooth riding car. You can expect to get around 30mpg depending on how you drive the car. EP is simply the chasis style of the car, the SI is an EP3 the RSX is a DC5 and so on so forth.

IknowApirate
10-25-2003, 08:22 PM
The Si is a lot of fun, especially for the price. Compared to a Civic EX, it's just a better car all around. If you haven't already, take one for a spin. Should you take the plunge, you'll definitely be glad you got it.

As for fuel economy, it's probably not as good as the Civic you have. Aside from that, of course it's going to depend on driving habits. I'm getting about 26-28mpg and my Si only has 2500 miles, so I'm hoping it will improve. I also don't drive as conservatively as I could, it's just too hard to resist the high RPMs.

To sum it up, great fun, decent fuel economy and great price.

djaaronk
10-26-2003, 03:26 PM
Actually I have already test driven a couple Si's. The Si seems to be completely superior to my coupe...very solid and tight...smoother riding...smoother engine. My gas mileage right now sucks. I am supposed to get 32/38 and I normally only get 26-28 and I drive very "grandma-ly" with most shifts at or before 3k rpm. Like I said, I am only looking for a good everyday fun solid reliable car...I have never modded any car...yet. I have been over on the nextgencivic site for 2 years now and they have the "issues and problems" forum and there are millions of problems with the coupe and sedan. Seems like there are very few problems with the EP.

Civicvtec1ps
10-26-2003, 03:48 PM
im happy that i got rid of my 02 ex. VERY happy with new si's you will not regret

SiR Medic
10-26-2003, 04:46 PM
Okay, it's a given that the EP is a more "fun" car than an EX. More power, better suspension tuning, cooler interior, etc.

But don't forget that the Si is also a more practical car than an EX coupe! That hatchback design means it can carry more stuff, and it also means that people sitting in the back have much more headroom than in the coupe. Also its slightly smaller size makes parking a breeze!

One of the coolest things about the Si though, is it's relative rarity. On a recent trip to Montreal, I say countless Porsches, BMWs, and Benz's... But only 3 other EPs!:cool: With all the EX coupes around, you are fairly anonymous, but in the Si... You will definately stand out more!

djaaronk
10-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I used to LOVE my coupe...but now every stoplight I'm at there are at least 5 others right next to me. Here in San Diego if I see 1 EP in my daily travel that's it. They are so much more unique. I haven't really heard anything bad about the Si, only good...and am very excited to check out the '04's when my dealer gets them in. I just wanted to thank you all for your info and advice...I really appreciate it.

raiyo
10-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Yes, sell the couple, get the Si and join the family. It's an uncommon car, so when you turn your head you don't see it everywhere.

Buy any color you want, just don't buy silver. Why? Already to many of of em (yes, I have one and I don't like it anymore, sad....custom paint soon), even old ladies drives a silver EP.

Gas? I think it sucks. I'm only getting 23ish per gallon, I shift around 3-4k rpm, close to no modd on the engine. I drive like 80% local. I have 8500 miles on my car.

Zero Three Si
10-26-2003, 05:38 PM
I have exactly 10006 miles on the car. I have a blast driving it. I traded in my 94 civic ex coupe for it. LOVE HER....would never leave her.

djaaronk
10-26-2003, 05:43 PM
I am almost 100% certian that I will buy an Si. I am going to try to wait till the dealers are willing to be a little flexible on the new '04s and for the car tax here to be repealed. As for colors, I absolutely love the Si in black...the best color on the Si I think...however black shows way too much dirt/scratches and is way too hot for San Diego. Silver is just blah and that blue is way to bright for me. So I am left with the white. My current coupe is white and I like it. I think the Si looks good in white with tinted windows. I was really hoping that Honda would include the new magnesium metallic color for the Si. No such luck. Oh, one more question, were your floor mats included with the car or were they extra? Thanks again.

IknowApirate
10-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by raiyo

I'm only getting 23ish per gallon, I shift around 3-4k rpm, close to no modd on the engine. I drive like 80% local.

Most of my miles are highway so that's going to make a big difference. As I said, I get about 26-28mpg. That's some city driving but predominately highway. I have a tendency to get on it and rev it up, which merely serves as a depressing reminder of my Type R...

I have a silver one but I wanted white. I haven't seen a silver one yet, though. I wouldn't have settled for anything less than Championship White had it been an option.

Once again, I highly recommend the Si.

You should be able to get floor mats and wheel locks included. Just tell them that's what you want. You could probably even go for tint.

blueiedgod
10-26-2003, 07:00 PM
Si is a very good car, but if your main concern about the Ex its reliability, the Si is no better. Being made in UK it us not your usual Honda. Engine is known to burn oil, in fact Honda states that a quart every 1000 miles is normal. I have had a few niggling minor problems (windows, door handles, ect.)
As much as I love driving mine, had I known about the "issues" I would have went with VW. At least I would have known what to expect. The major reason I got the Si, is the price. When compared to anything in the market, the price was unbeatable, I got mine for under $15K and still don't regret getting it.

It offers almost as much head room up front as the CR-V. With the seats folded you can carry a lot of junk. Even with the seats up you can load up the trunk with alot of stuff. The front seats are the best seats in a compact or full size car ever. The shifter is what people as about the most. And it is one of those things that make you say: "why haven't have they thought about it before?" Gas mileage is not the best, but the gearing is so low that if you have to spend time in traffic jams, you will never regret driving a manual. I just leave mine in 1st and do the 5-10 mph crawl with the throttle alone.

Good luck

pLopSI
10-26-2003, 08:00 PM
fun + reliable transportion= si. Those are the best words in my opinion to describe the si. W/out a doubt, the si is better in every aspect against the civic ex. An ex civic w/ minor bolt-ons will never be able to keep up w/ an si. But if u want a lil more oomph n' happen to have a lil extra money to toss around, i'd say go for the rsx-s (also a great car).

O btw on the gas mileage... i have horrible mileage only because i drive my car hard. It's really difficult to drive slow in these cars. But hey... our cars only require 87octane so that's not bad.

djaaronk
10-26-2003, 08:04 PM
I am not looking to buy an Si to have a fast car. I actually think my current Ex is fast enough. The fact that the Si is faster and more powerful is just an added bonus. The build quality of the Si's that I've test driven seems so much better than my Ex coupe. One thing that I love about the Si is that the moonroof controls are in the correct location...not hidded on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

IknowApirate
10-26-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by djaaronk
The build quality of the Si's that I've test driven seems so much better than my Ex coupe.

The Si definitely has a more solid feel than the other Civics. You won't regret upgrading at all.

IceD out N CALI
10-26-2003, 08:39 PM
EP is the chassis code for this model of civic. Think long and hard before u get outta your ex for an ep cuz it seems like every week 1 or 2 people get rid of their ep for something else. It is not for everybody. however it is pretty quick and much torqier than the ex:p

djaaronk
10-26-2003, 10:25 PM
My family has always owned hatchbacks...they are a very practical design. Up till '99 I have always driven a HB. Then I switched to a Civic sedan, then in '01 I got my coupe. I like my coupe but it seems that the Si is just so much more versatile with it's fold down seats and removable cargo cover. Seems that some items would fit in my trunk but the opening is just too small. The coupe style seems a little more grown-up and sofisticated but I really don't care about that or if other people think the Si is ugly. I think I have fallen in love with it!

So EP is the chassis code...but does it stand for anything? I was actually thinking it stood for European since it was designed and is built there.

IceD out N CALI
10-26-2003, 10:36 PM
thats a good question. I dont kno what the actual E and P stand for if anything. cuz they got the ES, EM (1,2), EF, etc.

Prob jus 2 letters assigned to be the chassis without any meaning behind those 2 letters, but i could be wrong

djaaronk
10-26-2003, 10:44 PM
Oh and while I am at it...does "Si" actually stand for something or is it just a model designation? I've wondered about that one for years! :)

IceD out N CALI
10-26-2003, 10:46 PM
yeah the si does stand for something i forget exactly, but if memory serves correct it is sports injection or injected

blueiedgod
10-27-2003, 06:18 AM
OK, I think we have discussed this before, but the story is:

In 83 Honda, like everyone else had carbeurated engines. As a matter of fact, Honda had carbeurated engines until the 90's. Anyway, they came out with an "S" which stood for "Sport". Then in 85 they introduced an "S" with fuel injection, thus "Si". Same "i" in the "LXi" meant that it had fuel injected engine.

By the way the "i" in BMW's nomenclature is for fuel injection as well.