PDA

View Full Version : Someone tell me why (or why not) to save for Tein Basics or flexes.

jaydub
10-26-2003, 12:53 PM
Ok guys, I'm really looking for your input and insight. I've already got the tein s-techs on the car, but I've always wanted a full coilover setup. It'll take some time and saving, but the way I see it, I could get the basics for ~$900, or I could wait for an awesome deal like the one in the classifieds now and find a used set of flexes for ~$1300.

It's a lot of money either way, so help me figure out which setup would really be the way to go, for a straight street car which might see a track once in a great while.

bobdobbs
10-26-2003, 01:29 PM
For a street car that sometimes sees the track, the Basics are the way to go. For the additional money on the Flexes, you're getting more adjustability, firmer springs, and stiffer upper mounts. There's too much to adjust, IMHO, and the pillow-ball mounts are too stiff. At least that's the complaint I've heard from Flex owners.

The Basics will destroy the stock upper bearings eventually, but they're only 15 bucks or so to replace. But, the Basics will give you a more comfortable ride, but still stiff enough for autox. A larger rear sway bar is a must, by the way. I have the RSX 19mm bar with my Tein SS coilovers and it's Grrrreaattt.

I'm glad I got the Tein SS, but if I had to do it over again, I'd go for the Basics before the Flex.

beansbear
10-26-2003, 01:34 PM
I had the SS on my matrix before i get the ep. I also had cusco pillowball mount/camber plates.

even at the softest setting the SS was just stiff as ever. it was hell when riding on a bumpy road. i rarely ever adjusted the ride after a while.

i got the basics and they feel like stock but handle like the ss. i dont need the adjustablitily because i only street drive and wanted looks plus reliability.... but ride comfort was important as well. i love my choice.

i am thinking of looking for some pillowmount/camber plates but TEIN claims the one for the Flex wont work with the basics. i cant understand why they wouldnt. they are just pillow mounts.

bobdobbs
10-26-2003, 01:47 PM
It was the pillowball mounts, not the Tein SS that were the reason they were so stiff on your Matrix. If you add them to your Basics now, you'll get the same thing, a stiff ride. I also had a Matrix, with Tein SS and Hotchkis camber plates, which is also a stiff mount. The OEM upper mounts are a ball bearing surrounded by hard rubber and they absorb a lot of road imperfections. When you make that a solid aluminum bearing, all those bumps get transferred into the chassis and your rear end.

jaydub
10-26-2003, 02:00 PM
Excellent points, guys. Keep the ideas coming. :) Believe me, I can much more easily justify spending $900. :D

bobdobbs
10-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
Excellent points, guys. Keep the ideas coming. :) Believe me, I can much more easily justify spending $900. :D
Then what are you waiting for? Your only other choices should be the KW V2 or the Tein SS. The SS is about $1200 if you pay a machine shop to modify the lower bolt openings (like I did). The KWs are a little more, but you get stainless steel, which I don't think you need, being in Glitter City.

The only thing additional you're getting with the SS is adjustable dampers. That's a nice-to-have, but not if you're budget conscious. Get the Basics.

Civicvtec1ps
10-26-2003, 03:05 PM
ok i had tein ss fullcoilovers on 2002 ex. pretty much identical suspension setup as ep.( ep's front camber bolt is little bigger which is 16mm.) anyways personally i would go with basic. i never even adjusted dampening settings at all. but yea stiff ride. i love tein s tech springs though. alot comfortable than fullcoilovers. but i will need to get new shocks eventually .

ecsahs3
10-26-2003, 03:55 PM
This is really good info fellas. With the basics, what is the manufacturer recommended ride height? How long do you think the shocks last before they need rebuilding?

SiR Medic
10-26-2003, 04:35 PM
Have you thought about the Mugen suspension setup?

It's about the same price as the Tein basic, it's not adjustable, but it IS Mugen!

The advantages of the Mugen set up is that it is specifically made to rid the car of bump-steer, and it's non-adjustability means you don't have the typical alignment/camber correction headaches.

Civicvtec1ps
10-26-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic

It's about the same price as the Tein basic, it's not adjustable, but it IS Mugen!

The advantages of the Mugen set up is that it is specifically made to rid the car of bump-steer, and it's non-adjustability means you don't have the typical alignment/camber correction headaches.
well depends.. mugen suspension's springs rates are almost identical as stock springs. which is 283/439 while stock springs 248/440. so whoever are looking for nice minor drop then mugen suspenion would be nice. but for track use or autox. mugen would not be good choice. btw member from clubrsx weighted mugen suspension. its same as stock setup..

jaydub
10-26-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic

I can't get past the fact that it's non adjustable. I want that adjustability, and I've already got camber kits, so that's a non-issue for me. Personally I think Mugen and Spoon fall into one very distinct category: Nice stuff, but severely overpriced. I mean, $15 for a set of embroidered sweatbands for your engine bay? I think not. :D

There IS the appeal of the mugen name, however the spring rates being so close to stock turns me off.

bobdobbs
10-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
There IS the appeal of the mugen name, however the spring rates being so close to stock turns me off.
The F-ers are heavy, too. The Teins Basics and SS are lighter than stock.

tony speed
10-27-2003, 02:07 PM
If you have mad time to sit and spend adjusting your ride height, go for it. It's not exactly a quick process. It really depends on how much time you want to spend fiddling with your equipment. It's nice to have the option if you're into it. If you just want the easy, install and go, stay away from the flex.

The only things I don't like are:

pertches can get difficult to turn especially if you don't clean the entire thing often. You're supposed to clean and regrease them.

Still have bump steer issues.

Someother pitfalls:

If you adjust the ratios wrong, you're gonna notice eventually.

Good things:

I can adjust height and dampening for new wheels, tires, and conditions.
If I had the edfc, it would be even more gangsta. Adjust for that one corner you love...