PDA

View Full Version : My EP in the cold weather

Gs02SiR
10-26-2003, 04:32 PM
Last winter before I discovered ephatch, I left my car outside during one of the coldest days of the year (Canadian winter). While I am used to having the shifter feel VERY stiff in these conditions, I was surprised when my clutch pedal also became incredibly stiff.

When I depressed the clutch, it didn't pop up on its own. Instead it rose up gradually. This occured on two other occassions, only when the car was left outside in the very cold weather.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is this common to EP's? I have never experienced/heard of this on any other car.

I thought I would ask, as the cold weather is coming. This feature is very annoying, but it does make for an interesting morning drive to work.

Thanks
G

JLannoo
10-26-2003, 04:58 PM
I live in michigan,So I know what your talking about. While I did notice my EP get a bit stiff last winter. My del Sol gets super stiff in the cold. LOL I mean you push down the clutch and it like SLOWWWWWWLY rises. Like you said it really makes it interesting sometimes. :)

Zero Three Si
10-26-2003, 05:40 PM
I haven't expierenced this yet....I live in Chicago...so the ICE COLD days are coming very very soon. It's supposed to snow in the Chicagoland area on Tuesday so I'll let you know. I park my car in the garage though so I might skew the results.

IchBinEinSiR
10-26-2003, 07:02 PM
Hey guys, in severe cold, any hydraulic actuated clutch will act in this way as the cold has effected the viscosity. Your engine oil, and brake fluid also react in the same way. A block heater would be recommended for your engine, not so you can start it (Japanese cars ALWAYS START), but so that you minimize oil starvation at startup.

Brettnyt
10-26-2003, 07:07 PM
Woah, thats all news to me... Thanks for the info!

oldschoolimport
10-26-2003, 11:58 PM
yeah, its down to 55 here, and I am FREEZING :smilem:

blueiedgod
10-27-2003, 05:49 AM
I agree with the oil heater, but you may want to use synthetic oil in the winter as well. It is less affected by the low temps.

Gs02SiR
10-27-2003, 05:59 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. Its great to have a resource where you can find out what is "normal"

I have thought about purchasing a block heater, but for some reason I associate them with K-Cars from the late 80's.

Is there any +/-'s to owning a block heater (I am most intersted in the downside) as the gains are fairly obvious.

STP03BlueSI
10-27-2003, 06:06 AM
Man I guess I dont have to worry about that..living in Florida and all, and the coldest it will probably get is like mid 50's:blushm: :angelm:

IchBinEinSiR
10-27-2003, 07:53 AM
I have already had tempuratures dipping below 30'F, and we see at least once or twice a winter down to -30'F or less... it can get cold occasionally!

Civicvtec1ps
10-27-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by IchBinEinSiR
I have already had tempuratures dipping below 30'F, and we see at least once or twice a winter down to -30'F or less... it can get cold occasionally!
yea no kidding. cold...
i didnt notice anything about clutch. seems fine but good informations