PDA

View Full Version : CEL came on at autox

SSMep3
10-26-2003, 05:54 PM
today i went to my 2nd autocross event and it was raining most of the day, i was proceeding on my 2nd run when i lost control due to my lack of experience and the rain, and spun out. the car rotated so i was facing the opposite direction and i stalled. As i tried to start the car again it took a while for it to turn over. Immediately after that the check engine light came on and i could not rev over 3,000 rpms
just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and if it could have caused some damage.
I was talking to some of the guys a the event and they said it could have been from a drop in the oil pressure as the car spun. one of my friends also has an ep3 and he spun out as well but he was fine.....
also the oil level was fine and i checked the gas cap and it was on tight. I reset the ecu and it was fine the whole way home.

BlasTech
10-26-2003, 06:01 PM
:eek:

I think it was the oil thing, but who knows.

Just remember, "going 'round, put two down"...that means try hard to remember to clutch and brake when you spin... the transmission hates to go backwards when its in 2nd! If you do it right, the engine wont stall, and you'll look like a studball when you just keep going like you meant to do it for style points. :D

Anyways, is it still in limp mode? I hope its ok!

JSIR
10-26-2003, 06:28 PM
stalling the engine probably caused a misfire type of reaction triggering the CEL, putting the car in limp mode after you tried to start it. Unburned fuel in the cylinders likely caused a rough start. I wouldnt worry about it, you did the right thing resetting the ecu. Next time that happens take the advice given above and push in the clutch before your rotate completely. good luck..

SSMep3
10-26-2003, 06:46 PM
ok thanks for the heads up guys:)

ep pilot
10-27-2003, 12:28 AM
Actually what you had done was.... you were probably in rotation, then the spin out coupled with a sudden stop cause all the oil to spill to one side of the sump for a second to many. I believe the K-series motors have a built in sensor, that triggers the CEL and tells the engine to limit revs until suffecient oil builds back or registers normal. If I'm correct your car was fine after you drove it around for a while.

-Ryan