PDA

View Full Version : How much to pay?

master7
10-27-2003, 07:09 AM
Peace Epers- I am ordering a magnaflow exhaust today and wanted to know since most likley i got to pay soembody to put it own- what is the most reasonable price i should pay to have it installed? and where are soemplaces i could go for better prices? THanks for all suggestions--Peace

Gasp23
10-27-2003, 07:32 AM
I say you save your money and install it your self. This is a bolt on which means you get to save on the installation and do it your self. It shouldn't be too hard. But I say if they charge you more than $70 it's too much. I shouldn't take more than an hour since they are doing it at a shop and the have air tools and stuff.

Civicvtec1ps
10-27-2003, 08:02 AM
i wouldnt pay more than $50 for catback installation., but just do it yourself.. save some cash.thats just me;)

master7
10-27-2003, 08:08 AM
I dont have a car lift - and what tools would i need???

Peking
10-27-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by master7
I dont have a car lift - and what tools would i need???

You don't need a lift (even though it makes things much easier), if you have two jack stands. That would be all you would need, next to a jack (which you already have).

Experience Level: Beginner and Up

Tools and Parts Required:
1. 12mm, 14mm ratchet and socket
2. Floor Jack and jack stands or an automotive lift

Step 1: Raise up and support the car and start by removing the stock muffler. You do this by removing the two 12mm bolts right in front of the suspension. Save all rubber hangers.

Tip: If you only have jack stands, raise up the right side of the car. This will give you the greatest level of access to the entire exhaust system.

Step 2: Remove the remained of the exhaust by removing the 14mm bolts at the cat or test pipe. These bolts are on pretty tight, so be prepared. Save all rubber hangers.
Step 3: Install the resonator onto the rubber hangers. You want to install this first to prevent the middle pipe from bending the cat or test pipe.
Step 4: Install the middle pipe to the resonator and to the cat or test pipe using the supplied gaskets and hardware. Do not tighten down the bolts, leave them a little lose to allow for future adjustment.
Step 5: Install the muffler using the supplied gasket and hardware.
Step 6: Now you tighten everything down as much as you can.

If you need some pics check these out...

http://performance.clubrsx.com/prsxinjensesexhaust.html

Hope this helps :D

Zero Three Si
10-27-2003, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't take it to any CHAIN muffler shop like a midas or minekei.

I would take it to a local in town muffler show. I would imagen their prices would be cheaper. About $50-75 bucks should cover the install. I know my midpipe was 50 bucks and it cost 25 for install. I got it from a local muffler shop in town.

furious
10-27-2003, 02:49 PM
I had VIP try to charge me $150 for 1st hour and $75 for each after...and the jackass told me he thinks it would be around a 3 hour job for my catback...

I told him my car is new...no rust, and that their price is a rip-off. I left, and had my father's friend do it for $30. I had a defect on one of the factory nut on the cat, and it took multiple torching to thread it off...1 hour, $30....DONE!

Zero Three Si
10-27-2003, 02:52 PM
It almost ALWAYS pays to call around! Somebody from EPhatch refered me to this place to get my midpipe done but they wanted like 175 bucks. I kept calling placed and finally found somebody for 85 and they gave me 10% off for being a fireman.

bobdobbs
10-27-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
I wouldn't take it to any CHAIN muffler shop like a midas or minekei.

I would take it to a local in town muffler show.
Yup. The mom-and-pop muffler shops are always cheaper and give better service. Most of the time they let you stand there and watch too. It seems like the chains have some corporate sales goals to meet or something and profit is their #1 motivation.

STP03BlueSI
10-27-2003, 02:55 PM
Install it your self learn whats underneath the car, and gain some wrench time:smilem: :winkm:

Zero Three Si
10-27-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Yup. The mom-and-pop muffler shops are always cheaper and give better service. Most of the time they let you stand there and watch too. It seems like the chains have some corporate sales goals to meet or something and profit is their #1 motivation.

It's funny that you say that...my shop actually gave me some welding goggles and ear plugs and I got to stand next to the guy while he did it.

Mad02Si
10-27-2003, 05:26 PM
I'm about 6'3 370 and I was able to get under my car with jack stands to do my own exhaust. Nothing beats doing it your self if you can. Biggest help with mine though was a nice wobble extension set I bought for when I did my springs. The clearance around the back of the cat is really close and easy to bust your nuckles up. I put on the wobble extension and got leverage on it and the nuts came off really easy. Took me 25-35 min tops to install mine. DIY saves the most money but make sure you do it right cause when you dont parts start breaking and then your screwed.

Peking
10-27-2003, 05:31 PM
Do it yourself, save the money. Cat-back exhaust is such an easy install. Intake would take more time, there are some installs that I do get someone else to do. Like my springs (and camber kit) will be done by Chunky, as soon as we can get together :D

Accordexcpe95
10-27-2003, 06:08 PM
you should try do it yourself if you have tools around you, the hardest part is to take out the top bolt on the triangular flange.. other then that.. everything is jus straight forward.