PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tire Comparison

SiR_YO
10-27-2003, 04:58 PM
I'm looking at 4 brands right now that I'm gonna slap on my stock rims for Winter

1. Kumho KW11
2. Toyo Observe G02 Plus, or Toyo Garrit HT
3. Pirelli W210
4. Nokian Haka 1

prices are ranked in order (1 being cheapest) however I'm not all that concerned with budget.. but would still like to pay for what I'm getting..

Nokian's I know by far are the best, but they're almost double the cost of the Kumho's (which have gotten decent reviews)

Just wondering if anyone would share some testimonial's or offer some advice?

SiR_d1
10-27-2003, 05:42 PM
By the looks of things I'll most likely be getting Kumhos KW11 and black steelies for this winter. I have been told that they are not the greatest winter tires but not the worst and because I'll probably only be driving my car the most twice a week they will do.

SiR_YO
10-28-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by SiR_d1
By the looks of things I'll most likely be getting Kumhos KW11 and black steelies for this winter. I have been told that they are not the greatest winter tires but not the worst and because I'll probably only be driving my car the most twice a week they will do.

what size are you going? and who did you talk to about them? (someone from Wheels Direct?) ... in your case, ya.. I would suggest the KW11's too.. best bang for your buck.. however with my situation I will be driving my car every day.. so I'll need that extra piece of mind... and if you've been told they're not the "greatest nor the worst" winter tire.. well then that's not piece of mind for me (not enough at least) :p

the toyo's, w10's, and nokian's I've heard nothing but good from them.. so maybe I'll choose one of those...

SiR Medic
10-28-2003, 05:48 AM
I just got a set of Crappy Tire Nordic IceTracs.

Stock size on the stock rims.

They are kind of squirrely on dry roads, but they are AMAZING in the wet!

They were real cheap too, less than $400 installed. (I paid for balancing with my saved up Canadian tire money)

Extra bonus: They are "S" speed rated (110mph) which means they can handle high speeds better than the typical "Q" rated winter tire.

stephen
10-28-2003, 07:09 AM
The Hakas are by far the best tires out of the group. However, unless you are driving in Alaska or through a Scandanavian winter, you could do with any of the other four.

stephen
10-28-2003, 07:10 AM
One word of advice. When picking out snow tires, go with the narrowest tires possible, which will reduce your contact patch and also reduce slipping.

In other words, go with 190 width tires.

Cuprsnel
10-28-2003, 07:46 AM
I have studded Nokians and it is funny how good they are in the snow. They are loud, slippery on dry pavement, and overkill, but I love beating subaru's in the snow.

2QK4U ALLWAYS
10-28-2003, 09:06 AM
What about Michelin Pilot or Blizzaks extremely good teire wet and dry and Gezzwald or something like that they put them on Volvos and Mercedes

SiR_YO
10-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by stephen
The Hakas are by far the best tires out of the group. However, unless you are driving in Alaska or through a Scandanavian winter, you could do with any of the other four.

ya.. I just went with stock size... and I've decided on the Hakka 1's ... although I'm not gonna be rallyin' er anything, I want that piece of mind that I have the best.. summer tires you can argue over and over which are the best, winter tires = nokian...

I didn't know they had a 190 width??

SiR_YO
10-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by 2QK4U ALLWAYS
What about Michelin Pilot or Blizzaks extremely good teire wet and dry and Gezzwald or something like that they put them on Volvos and Mercedes

Both those tires wear out a lot quicker... compared to the ones I listed above...

trabadoo22
10-28-2003, 11:26 PM
Is there a site that sells these tires? I've been going to tirerack.com, but they don't have any of the ones listed above except for the Blizzacks and Pilots. I can tell allready the stock tires are going to suck bad in the snow. Thanks.

SiR_YO
10-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by trabadoo22
Is there a site that sells these tires? I've been going to tirerack.com, but they don't have any of the ones listed above except for the Blizzacks and Pilots. I can tell allready the stock tires are going to suck bad in the snow. Thanks.

Here (http://www.proparts.ca/front_products.asp?BrandID=54)

we can get any size .. so if the size isn't there that you're looking for, email us, or call 1-800-569-2202

AkronSi
10-29-2003, 11:47 AM
I don't know where the bad reviews from the Kumhos are coming from (other than the people on tirerack who are using them as all-season tires) but they were rated EXTREMELY well in Consumer Reports.

They broke the test down by speed rating. In the lower speed ratings, the Kumhos were rated number 1. I think their total score was just as good, if not better, than the top rated tire in the higher speed bracket.

I don't always agree with Consumer Reports choices in brands/models to test....but I think their testing methods are tops!

Go with what you want, but dont' totallly discount the Kumhos because of price. That's what I plan on getting.

SiR_YO
10-30-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by AkronSi
I don't know where the bad reviews from the Kumhos are coming from (other than the people on tirerack who are using them as all-season tires) but they were rated EXTREMELY well in Consumer Reports.

They broke the test down by speed rating. In the lower speed ratings, the Kumhos were rated number 1. I think their total score was just as good, if not better, than the top rated tire in the higher speed bracket.

I don't always agree with Consumer Reports choices in brands/models to test....but I think their testing methods are tops!

Go with what you want, but dont' totallly discount the Kumhos because of price. That's what I plan on getting.

lemme know how they run... I can't wait till I get the Nokian's on my car... and the first major snow fall to test it out.. I'm sure the KW11's will hold up well too...

Loudpedal
10-31-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by 2QK4U ALLWAYS

You're thinking about Glasveds, and indeed you only see them on Volvos and old M-B's. I've never known anyone who has driven on them however, a little too obscure in my opinion.

Loudpedal
10-31-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by SiR_YO
and I've decided on the Hakka 1's ...

Can't go wrong with the Hakka's in the winter. One of the best wearing winter tires I've owned. You just have to love the tread design. :D

kadafi
11-02-2003, 08:47 PM
I'm living in a region that has lowest temp. about -40. and nokian hakka(studless, forgot is it '1' or 'q') can get me out of any snow/ice banks.