PDA

View Full Version : midpipe with stock muffler?

03ViVBEp
10-27-2003, 05:09 PM
how does a 2.25 midpipe with stock muffler compare to "lets say" the comptech cat-back? feedback would be great. thx!

andy
10-27-2003, 05:12 PM
They are probably pretty similar. I haven't seen just a Comptech dyno
(I think someone had a comptech and i/h and had a dyno of that), but
just a midpipe has shown good gains. And the stock muffler has been
proven to flow pretty well.

DyNastySi
10-27-2003, 05:44 PM
The bills. I wanted to get a exhaust system made by a company, but couldnt bring myself to do it when i saw the charts.

Zero Three Si
10-27-2003, 05:45 PM
Do a search!!! This subject is being beaten to death! I'll make this short.

If you want LOUDER sound...go with the Comptech cat back. You'll get some minor gains. You'll pay some good money though. I'm assuming you'll play close to 300 dollars for this.

2 inch or 2.25 midpipe will give you better sound than stock but it won't be as loud as the comptech. However, you'll get some minor power gains and you'll only spend 75 bucks.

Tenacious G
10-27-2003, 09:29 PM
i also would recommend a search ...

and the comptech exhaust is some $600 ... pretty pricey, but no doubt a good product.

03ViVBEp
10-27-2003, 11:31 PM
well see i hate the muffler "deep to high pitched" sound and if a midpipe is fairly loud then i wouldent want it.

icegrill
10-28-2003, 12:02 AM
Midpipe + stock muffler = good. Make car sound growley like big machine. :rolleyes:

02SilverSiHB
10-28-2003, 08:39 AM
I had a dyno with i/h, and a comptech...here it is, it was June in Texas, pretty hot:
http://a3.cpimg.com/image/57/FA/21680983-c044-02000176-.jpg

Now that I have a midpipe with my i/h I can compare it to the comptech. The comptech in my opinion was better. I could feel a bit more of a rush feeling at the higher rpms. One day I'll get around to dynoing my car with the mid pipe now for comparison, but by the time I do it will be cold out, so the results won't be that great for comparison.

The comptech is pretty expensive though, it cost about 600 bucks.
The midpipe is nice, but not as much in the top end as the comptech gave

fsugatorbait
10-28-2003, 09:12 AM
You are not going to get the same gains from a mid-pipe that you would from a full cat-back. The companies that produce cat backs all have mendral bent piping have done hours and hours and hours of R & D that you cant replicate by taking your to meineke and having them bend up a pipe to fit in a couple hours. If you dont want the sound associated with a full cat back then buy one that comes with a silencer. If you want the same design of the stock muffler then buy the neuspeed, magnaflow or borla cat-back. More than enough options for everyones needs. Just my .02.

03ViVBEp
10-28-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
You are not going to get the same gains from a mid-pipe that you would from a full cat-back. The companies that produce cat backs all have mendral bent piping have done hours and hours and hours of R & D that you cant replicate by taking your to meineke and having them bend up a pipe to fit in a couple hours. If you dont want the sound associated with a full cat back then buy one that comes with a silencer. If you want the same design of the stock muffler then buy the neuspeed, magnaflow or borla cat-back. More than enough options for everyones needs. Just my .02.

thx! this is great advice and just what i wanted to hear. again thx!

B18CXr
10-30-2003, 05:58 AM
keep the stock can and just replace the B-pipe

both runs with 2.25" crush bent b-pipe

only change was the removal of stock can, very, very little gains.

sounds/looks stock :)

http://www.p1auto.com/jack/pictures/epwithnocan.jpg

Zero Three Si
10-30-2003, 07:31 AM
Now when you say B pipe. Are you refering to the pipe from the cat to the muffler.

Or are you refering to the pipe from the Header to the Cat? Also, why did you white out the HP numbers?

02SilverSiHB
10-30-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
Now when you say B pipe. Are you refering to the pipe from the cat to the muffler.

Or are you refering to the pipe from the Header to the Cat? Also, why did you white out the HP numbers?
he's referring to the mid pipe. He whited out the numbers because he's using a mustang dyno I believe, so the numbers aren't as impressive as other dynos so people will go nuts saying that sucks.

Also, it's been proven over and over again, that a midpipe doesn't really do shyt when it's just the midpipe that is upgraded...thus the reason for such a small gain on that dyno.

When you have a complete setup like i/h/e(or midpipe) then it helps.

kelphead
11-03-2003, 07:18 AM
I have 2.5" midpipe and it runs great. I have headers and filter, and the added 2.5" pipe has helped to lean out the engine a little bit and has added great power and soound. I figure it was a 5-7 HP gain from adding this. This is with the help of the increased air flow from the header and filter though as well. The K20 actually runs a little rich so if you can lean it out it runs a little better. I recomend getting a 2.5" midpipe with Spoon Sports N1 exhaust.

03ViVBEp
11-04-2003, 10:25 AM
thank u guys for the replies and the dyno sheets. its helped me alot and i now know what im getting. hehe thx!:D