PDA

View Full Version : Broken CV Boot?

SilVic
10-28-2003, 10:46 AM
There is an oil/greasy residue on my front passenger wheel. The CV boot does not look torn or anything. Possibly a small leak. I'm not sure what it is.

dtexan
10-28-2003, 11:57 AM
CV grease will be thick check the boot seals clean everything and keep an eye on it in the future. If you dont see any tears or obvious grease coming out if the edges its prob something else. Also you never know you could have ran over something or had grease from another vehicle hit it.

dchu
10-28-2003, 03:42 PM
I had the same problem on my driverside outer boot and had it fixed last week. The most of the boot itself was bone dry except around the clamp area. It looked like the it either cracked around the clamp area or the clamp cut into the boot. I only have 4200 miles on mine and it was covered under warranty.

SilVic
10-30-2003, 10:55 PM
I don't think they would cover it under warranty for me b/c my car would be discriminated b/c it's lowered and rims. They did that last time... oh well.
The boot looks normal though but there's nothing else in the engine near the passenger side or near the front passenger suspension that's greasy. Whatchu guys think?

dchu
10-31-2003, 03:47 AM
I forgot to mention I'm lowered on H&R Sports :confused: . My dealer sells and installs mods, so they were more lenient towards mods. I got quotes from three different dealers and prices ranged from $225-$275. So it wouldn't hurt to try to get it fixed under warranty. Check between the clamp and closest boot rib for grease. You can always try bitching at them if they refuse. After all it's a [b]rubber[b] boot. They shouldn't fail like that on a new car even if you were lowered.

Beachya
10-31-2003, 02:17 PM
i had one rip as well, lowering the car and wheel hop increase the chance of having a torn boot. easy to fix though. just check inside the boot if its torn to make sure theres no dirt or small rocks inside. the boot will cost around 20, a new cv joint around 270, the whole assembly new will run close to a grand (all are honda prices). if it's damaged and you want to replace everything...try to find one remanufactured and with a life time warranty.

dave