PDA

View Full Version : Rotten Eggs Revisited

LACH
10-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Hey everyone back again with the same problem different day, heres the deal. EVERY TIME I drive my EP hard or somewhat hard (spirited driving) I get a nasty rotten egg smell from the car that lasts quite ahwile. The last time I posted this some other ep drivers switched to higher octane gas which I did and it seemed to have helped for only about a week or so. Last time I went into Honda I asked the service guy whats up with that is there a problem with the cat converter? He told me its normal with a high performace engine to do that.
So here I am asking for your input are you guys and gals having the same issues??????

bigcase
10-28-2003, 12:03 PM
i get that rotten ass smell after i have punched it a few hard times. i think its just the cat working overtime what with the volume of spent air going throught it. the "catalytic" converter is just that, it converts gas smell into something else via a chemical reaction. in our case rotten eggs. would you rather get out and smell gas? dont answer that.

BlairSpeed
10-28-2003, 12:17 PM
well, ive never had that smell before. Well, actually i can remember once or twice before the 10k mile mark, i had a faint smell after driving hard but it was only for a short time. I think your cat might be bad or you have an exhaust leak.

bigcase
10-28-2003, 12:58 PM
i get that rotten ass smell after i have punched it a few hard times. i think its just the cat working overtime what with the volume of spent air going throught it. the "catalytic" converter is just that, it converts gas smell into something else via a chemical reaction. in our case rotten eggs. would you rather get out and smell gas? dont answer that.

JLannoo
10-28-2003, 02:39 PM
I only got that smell when I was using low octane gas. Try running 93

dannysi
10-28-2003, 04:18 PM
I get the same smell when I drive the car hard, doesn't matter the octane of the fuel in the car, smell still comes out. The smell only lasts for a few minutes though.

IchBinEinSiR
10-28-2003, 04:34 PM
Mine smells as well, after driving hard... I thought that smell only came out of chev's and pontiac's.

styllinep3
10-28-2003, 04:45 PM
just your cat breaking in . gonna after like 1500 or so. i got 21,000 on mine never smelled it since then.

chibianh
10-28-2003, 05:06 PM
i thought that smell was your clutch burning.. or at least that's what I've been told..

dj addicted
10-28-2003, 08:53 PM
I dont have any of this smell you all are talking about...

Brettnyt
10-28-2003, 09:56 PM
I havent smelled it recently, it used to smell before 6k miles tho... It just kinda stopped... Oh well, I am not complaining... Still smell is a little bit if i get out of my car after driving hard...

LACH
10-29-2003, 07:16 AM
it seems some people do and some people dont i just didnt want honda to bs me and thought id come to you guys first.
thanx for the help everyone

IchBinEinSiR
10-29-2003, 07:59 AM
I have over 16,000kms and it still smells, high octane fuel from Shell or Sunoco seems to decrease or eliminate the problem, but I have neither in my home town...

r3p00c
10-29-2003, 11:46 AM
i use 89 octane on a regular basis, and i still always get that smell. it does go away if i use 93 or 94. is there maybe a tsb on this? i've been considering taking it in to honda to get checked out. the smell is pretty strong sometimes, especially when i'm backing up into my parking spot at home.

jerky
10-29-2003, 12:23 PM
i used to get a weird smell when i would go up somewhat steep hills. the freeway leading to my house is pretty steep and if i took it at 75 to 80 by the time i got home it would stink. i tried dropping it down a gear and cruising 65 and the smell would be less. then after a while i didn't care and now the smell has completely gone away. i have 35k + miles so maybe your car will cure itself. it smelt like burning oil to me.

esmith13
10-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Their are three things that can cause that smell:

1. Break-in of a catalytic converter and/or HARD driving. (breakin is about 2,000mi and hard driving smell can last 30,000mi or forever)

2. Break-in of new exhaust (same rules as above).

3. Learn how to use your clutch better! It's burning!! OR is starting to slip or the pedal tension is fucked up and it's not fully engaging (would smell all the time after driving tho)

I had this smell when car was new under 5,000mi. Also for a couple thousand mi. after new exhaust, and also after beating on it at the track, autox or car meets/drives. Since I hit like 25,000 mi it dosen't happen at all any more.... Now I'm @ 32,000mi. no smells ever...

Oh, and lower octane gas increases the potency/noticability of the smell.... Another reason to stick with 93 ;)

Eric

Dunrick
10-30-2003, 08:42 AM
mine still farts when i have 87 octane gas.

esmith is gay :)

simann
10-30-2003, 12:24 PM
Here in good ole' Tennessee we have the 93 octane shizznit, i have never had mine smell.....you shure you guys are cleaning your cars out properly?:confused:

Zero Three Si
10-30-2003, 12:26 PM
I use 87,89 and 91...I don't ever have that smell. May it's your upper lip..ehehe

DownTheHatch
10-30-2003, 04:48 PM
I use regular octane and I was driving hard last night in the high rpm range, when I slowed down and stopped I noticed a nasty smell in my car, I went back while the car was still running and smelled the exhaust and it smelled even worse. It has to be the Catalytic Converter...I'm gonna try higher octane fuel next time.

Vivid-Cruz
10-30-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by JLannoo
I only got that smell when I was using low octane gas. Try running 93

93 ... must be nice

finalhour
10-31-2003, 01:10 PM
I've never had a burning clutch that smells like rotten eggs o_O

I smelled it last night also. And I know I wasn't riding the clutch :\ At least I don't think so. First time i've smelled it after 3500 miles.

r3p00c
10-31-2003, 07:48 PM
update... i'm taking my car in for this. I used to smell it every so often, but now i notice at least once everytime i drive my car. i wouldn't mind it so much if it was every once in awhile, but i'm tired of smelling it. i'm sure i'll at least get a new cat out of it... i'll keep everyone updated.

one2chi
11-02-2003, 06:14 PM
i get that smell after (spirted driving) its kind of ebarassing thogugh. pulling up next to my friends and they alwayw think ive been farting up a storm.

Brettnyt
11-02-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by one2chi
i get that smell after (spirted driving) its kind of ebarassing thogugh. pulling up next to my friends and they alwayw think ive been farting up a storm.

Yeah dude! I hate that! I show up to my girlfriends house and it suddenly smells like ASS... I hate it...

yellerep3
11-03-2003, 08:03 PM
use 93 or 94 from day one and you should not have a problem