PDA

View Full Version : Tint ticket question

VividFL EP
10-29-2003, 06:31 AM
Does anyone know if you get points on you lisence if you get a ticket for your tint being to dark? If so, how many.

ryanjennings
10-29-2003, 06:41 AM
phawk tha policeeeeee :cool:

RiceCzechs
10-29-2003, 06:57 AM
That would vary from state to state, I would imagine....

STP03BlueSI
10-29-2003, 07:13 AM
IF I AM CORRECT!

I dont think so(on the points), it is just like a "Fix it" Ticket(example Exhaust, neons, and ect). But one thing about Tint tickets, did he have a gun that stated the % of darkness? or did he just flash his flashlight?

I know i would take it to court, because in St. pete, 50% of the cops are not certified in Radar handling(ie Laser/bandwith guns), Sound dbs(measures exhaust sound), Tint verification, and Light and lowering specs.(ie Tape measure to measure the hight of the lights off the ground).

Check with a lawyer(i know one as a friend), if you know one that is better. But find out.

VividFL EP
10-29-2003, 07:19 AM
Yeah, the cop had one of those things that he put on my window, and it registered at 7%. I have no problem with paying the ticket, but I was just wondering about the points.

Brettnyt
10-29-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by VividFL EP
Yeah, the cop had one of those things that he put on my window, and it registered at 7%. I have no problem with paying the ticket, but I was just wondering about the points.

Ah yeah... then u cant take it to court... How much was the ticket for? 7% is pretty dark... I highky doubt that you will get points... I think that is reserved for moving violations.

VividFL EP
10-29-2003, 07:53 AM
Yeah, it is pretty dark. The ticket is for $49, and I asked the cop if I had to take it off, he said no, but if you dont you will keep getting tickets. So I am taking my chances, and rolling with the windows down alot more.

Zero Three Si
10-29-2003, 09:45 AM
It is a non moving violation! No it doesn't get sent to your insurance. It's in the same class as "seal belts, no front plate, something hanging from your mirror "obstruction of view"" all that nonsense.

It's a cheap way for the city to make some revenue.

Chrisbgft
10-29-2003, 10:25 AM
my eclipse has LIMO tint(3%) all around and i have never been pulled over for it in IL. I will be getting it on my EP very soon. I love the darkness..lol.

Brettnyt
10-29-2003, 11:19 AM
Yeah, it is pretty dark. The ticket is for $49, and I asked the cop if I had to take it off, he said no, but if you dont you will keep getting tickets. So I am taking my chances, and rolling with the windows down alot more.

Haha, yeah, I always roll with my windows down, even when it is lightly raining...

Zero Three Si
10-29-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Chrisbgft
I love the darkness..lol.

Most serial killers are between 19-35, white cacasian single males. and they too love the darkness. Are you trying to tell us something Chris???lol:cool:

STP03BlueSI
10-29-2003, 12:45 PM

Take it to court.(thats just my opinion) Make sure they do a look back at all the Certification and see how long he has been certified on that sensor.

MrCivic03
10-29-2003, 01:01 PM
i dont understand is a lower % darker tint??? if so would 1% be like black cant see in.

VividFL EP
10-29-2003, 01:18 PM
1% would be pretty dark, it would definately be hard to see in, but it would probablly be hard to see out as well. At night, when I am backing up I have to roll my windows down to see, and that is only 7%.

Zero Three Si
10-29-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by ryanjennings
phawk tha policeeeeee :cool:

That's the ATTITUDE you tell'em!! Make sure you tell'em where you live too!

dj addicted
10-29-2003, 02:55 PM
no it doesnt count for points because it is a non moving violation. Its exactly that.. a fix-it ticket.. the downfall is you will have to fix the tint when you go in a pay the fine.. and I dont think they will just take your word for it either.. hehe

BarracksSi
10-29-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by MrCivic03
i dont understand is a lower % darker tint??? if so would 1% be like black cant see in.

Usually, yes, the percentage is the amount of light that gets through. 0 % is obviously pitch black, while 100% would be transparent.

The EP's windows already come with a bit of tint, something like 11 to 15% blockage (put another way, that would be 89-85% transmission). You'll have to factor that in with whatever aftermarket tint you add -- for example, if you buy tint that's 35% transmission, the "installed tint" would be darkened to 20% or so.

When a cop's decision to write a ticket hinges on a couple percentage points, the OEM glass's tint can certainly make the difference if it's not accounted for at installation.

madbrain
10-29-2003, 08:43 PM
the downfall is you will have to fix the tint when you go in a pay the fine.. and I dont think they will just take your word for it either.. hehe

Dude if you go to your doctor you can get a medical exemption for light sensitivity that way you can keep your tint and not worry about the cops. Most states have this exemption in their criminal code, check it out.