PDA

View Full Version : tire pressure for 17's?

r3p00c
10-29-2003, 11:40 AM
does anyone know what my tire pressure should be set at for a set of 215/45/17 tires? the max. pressure on the sidewall says 35 psi, but i was always told not go by the pressure listed on the tire, but the pressure listed in your manual.

also, should i go by the pressure reading on a cold charge (sitting for awhile) or on a warm charge (after driving for awhile)? The other day after driving my car for awhile with a warm charge of air, I adjusted my pressure to 34 psi... but when my car sits overnight, the pressure looks extremely low, and reads about 29 psi. what should i do? i don't want to overfinflate/underinflate them. thanks in advance :)

mrfixit687
10-29-2003, 01:35 PM
read and inflate pressure while tire is cold, dont do it after you've driven. if your tire says max 35psi i'd go with 30 psi, since you have lower profile tires u gotta run the tire pressure higher so when you hit a pothole you wont bend your rim

r3p00c
10-29-2003, 01:55 PM
thanks for the info. i was just concerned because i read my pressure this morning.. it was pretty cold out... and they read about 28-29 psi and looked pretty low. I guess I'll go put a couple more psi in them so they are around 31.

bobdobbs
10-29-2003, 02:20 PM
I'd run as high a pressure as you want, up to 35 psi cold. The manufacturer's rating on the sidewall is conservative. Think of it this way: If you run it at 35 psi and have a blow-out, you can blame the tire manufacturer, who said you could run 35 psi. However, if you run at 30 psi and bend a rim, who are you going to blame (but yourself)?

There are performance reasons for not running 35 psi, but if you're mainly concerned with bending a rim, those should be secondary.