PDA

View Full Version : which is harder to install front or rear springs?

4g63dsm
10-30-2003, 03:00 PM
hey i'm plannin on instaling my tein stech this weekend and i'm not sure what kind of grease i need? also which is hard to install the front or the rear? THis is my first time doing any suspension work, but i'm not a total newb when it comes to working on cars.( installed my cai and exhaust, and worked on my old dsm)but is this even a good idea to do it myself? i've been reading alot about the diy and thinkin i have a good idea of what to do. has anyone else ran ito any major troubles doing this install?

02SilverSiHB
10-30-2003, 03:27 PM
I use white lithium grease for mine. I get it from autozone, it comes in a green spray can.

The install is basically easy. Last time I did it, I didn't even remove the tie rod. I just broke the center nuts on all four shocks loose while the car is on the ground.

Then for the fronts I took out the bottom two bolts to the rotor (also the two lines 12mm and 10mm screws). Then I just unbolted the three nuts that hold it up to the frame. Then let come down and hold it there while I unscrewed the top center nut and the top part came off...there's not that much tension, so I didn't really need the compressor for the springs. Then I just took the spring out, replaced it with the aftermarket one. The when I went to put the center nut on, I had to push a little to get the spring to compress so I could thread the center nut on. That's was basically it for the fronts, put everything back together and was done.

The rear is very easy taking out once you take off the two top nuts. The one bolt on the bottom you take out then the shock comes right out. Since I had already broken the center nut loose, I just went ahead and unscrewed it all the way, took the top part off and switch the springs. Then had to push down on the springs while I put the top part back on, just enough to start the threading on the center nut. For the rear (and the front), I made sure I got the top nut pretty snug. The put it back in...getting the bottom bolt back in can be a pain, you have to make sure it's lined up pretty good. I just use the jack and a piece of wood or rubber mallet to jack it up by jacking it up from the perch, just enough to get the bottom bolt to line up, slip it in and start screwing it back in, making sure it's thread in some before I remove the jack.

So basically I guess the rear is the most pain for me.

Civicvtec1ps
10-30-2003, 04:11 PM
i thought front was alot harder. installed about 2-3 times already. but i didnt have tie rod seperator so damn thing wouldnt really come off easier. just follow direction you will be just fine. i used spring compressor just in case. i dont think i will use it on next install.

Si_Rider
10-30-2003, 04:45 PM
use a tie rod puller it'll make the install so much easier. get it at autozone for $40 deposit.

NamingException
10-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Yeah, get a tie rod puller. I bought general purpose grease, but I didn't use any and I don't have any problems.

Dunrick
10-31-2003, 08:35 AM
I thought you were already dropped....

I had Gilbert do it, for like 130 bucks....I didn't know much about mcpherson strut at the time. Wish I sorta diy

ohwells...

chunky
10-31-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Si_Rider
use a tie rod puller it'll make the install so much easier. get it at autozone for $40 deposit.

just buy one for like 10-15 bucks, it's a worthy addition to a toolset.

front was the difficult one for me b/c unless you take out your hub nuts, you have to worry about the axles popping out. it happens, but it's no big deal, just grab the rotor and turn clockwise while pushing in.

the most important things to remember are

1) gread the plastic bushing on top of the strut
2) seat the springs properly
3) seat the bushings with the little arrow pointing out to the side of the car, and line the two arrows up. or, just mark everything so you remember how to put it back together.