PDA

View Full Version : all motor a3

jdm03ep
10-31-2003, 03:19 AM
i am trying to put together a fast all motor a3 engine. if you guys have any ideas post them here.

my plan so far:
hondata air box mod with k&n air filter,bored out throttle body,dc5-r intake manifold,skunk 2 stage two cams and valvetrain when they come out,semi race porting and polishing, hondata tunable ecu program,rsx-s rods pistons and crank,bigger injectors,jackson racing race headers,custom made 2.25" mid pipe into stock muffler.

what do you think feel free to comment,criticism welcome:D

J.West

padelong si
10-31-2003, 07:30 AM
You can do a rsx type s head swap. saw it in a magazine. it was a skunk car i think. got about 20 or 30 hp gain

Silverstreak
11-01-2003, 04:15 PM
Do you want to keep the A3 head? If so you will need to wait for some cams to come out for it to see some real gains. I am thinking of going with the A2 head and wait to put it on when the new hondata comes out in february. I have found a used head with 6800 miles for only 850. I know you didnt need to know all of that i just wanted to say it.

BlasTech
11-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Dont forget Hondata programmable ECU coming soon, and the heat gasket thing as well. You should have a real nice setup!

jdm03ep
11-02-2003, 03:50 AM
are there more heads available for that price???

D16Y8_Turbo
11-02-2003, 08:54 AM
I have been looking for a head for 3 weeks and can't find a junk yard that will sell me just the head and ECU. Most don't want to break up the complete motor. Where did you find the head?

DavidT
11-03-2003, 02:19 AM
All motor a3 (Without anykind of swapping)...right now with what we got on the market the most you can probably get is about 160 WHP if you are lucky. And that's still about 10 WHP shy of a stock A2 motor. You'll be putting a lot of money into the A3 motor to get those WHP figures too. That's your option now with what we've got.

If you were to swap all your internals and stuff...it's better and cheaper to just start with a K20A or K20A2 motor. If I was motivated and had the money, I'd sell the A3 for like 2500 or so, add another 2500 and buy a A2 motor that you can find for 5k or less at various junkyards or on RSX boards or Ebay. Yah yah I know people don't trust ebay but it's always an option. A stock a2 motor will usually put 165-170 WHP easily. Plus go'n all motor with a a2 motor is MUCH MUCH more entertaining. Slap some Toda cams (more upper end power), valve/valve springs (Prevent valve float) and a Hondata ECU (Better fuel mapping plus higher rev limiter) on an A2 and you can do 9000 RPM shifts all day and the motor could care less.

Silverstreak
11-05-2003, 02:07 PM
The head is in canada. I found it through a used parts store.

simann
11-11-2003, 10:24 AM
uh ummm, get a head swap done buddy.;)

the JigGa mAn
11-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
All motor a3 (Without anykind of swapping)...right now with what we got on the market the most you can probably get is about 160 WHP if you are lucky. And that's still about 10 WHP shy of a stock A2 motor. You'll be putting a lot of money into the A3 motor to get those WHP figures too. That's your option now with what we've got.

If you were to swap all your internals and stuff...it's better and cheaper to just start with a K20A or K20A2 motor. If I was motivated and had the money, I'd sell the A3 for like 2500 or so, add another 2500 and buy a A2 motor that you can find for 5k or less at various junkyards or on RSX boards or Ebay. Yah yah I know people don't trust ebay but it's always an option. A stock a2 motor will usually put 165-170 WHP easily. Plus go'n all motor with a a2 motor is MUCH MUCH more entertaining. Slap some Toda cams (more upper end power), valve/valve springs (Prevent valve float) and a Hondata ECU (Better fuel mapping plus higher rev limiter) on an A2 and you can do 9000 RPM shifts all day and the motor could care less.

that sounds like a good idea...i think ill be doing that...i like that 9k rpm...it sounds like fun...i got 4.5 years left on the factory warranty...so after that the fun will begin..and ill have alot of money saved up by then

Vertigo
11-12-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
that sounds like a good idea...i think ill be doing that...i like that 9k rpm...it sounds like fun...i got 4.5 years left on the factory warranty...so after that the fun will begin..and ill have alot of money saved up by then
4.5 years left on the warranty huh.. Most warranty's only last 3 years(from day of purchase) or 36K miles, which ever comes first. Unless you got the factory extended warranty up to around 75k miles i believe.

02CivicSI-VTEC
11-12-2003, 01:55 AM
75k mile warrenty for 3 years??? lol i think that is a joke.. i dont know why i wasted my money for... im only at a year an a half and so far i've reach 50k =( said but true... i guess that 3 year will never come.. by then i'll be in the 120000k hehe

Vertigo
11-12-2003, 02:31 AM
I don't know if the extended warranty has a time limit(ie. 3 or 4 years). I think it's mileage only. I also think that extended warrantys are b.s. and just a good way to raise the price of the car. You've only had it 1 1/2 years and already 50K..Damn. I've had mine for 11 months and it's got 12.5K. It had 790 miles on it when i bought it.

Sorry about going off-topic and totaly high-jacking this thread!:o

HokieSi
11-12-2003, 06:53 AM
You need to get the a3 head flowing at high rpm. An extended rev limiter (hondata) will be the key, a high flowing intake ie sri, port and polished head, bigger TB, and larger intake and exhaust cams ought to do the trick. Oh yea, along with a good header and exhaust too. If you can get this done I predict low 14's and possibly 180-190hp up top.

Now, this setup would not be very good at idle/low rpm but it would smoke around a track.

the JigGa mAn
11-12-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Vertigo
4.5 years left on the warranty huh.. Most warranty's only last 3 years(from day of purchase) or 36K miles, which ever comes first. Unless you got the factory extended warranty up to around 75k miles i believe.

wait...how long is the orig factory warranty?...just subtract 7 months from that...and thats how many years i have left till i get a swap

Ep3_kid
11-12-2003, 05:58 PM
<<<---- 7 years warranty right here :D :D