PDA

View Full Version : Got me some Tein SS's

GP Si
11-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Just installed my Tein ss coilovers i am so impressed with this product i feel nothing on the road and it rides nicely drop to 2.5 inches running the streets. 1 question can i used the EDFC and how much does it ussually go for thanx

Civicvtec1ps
11-01-2003, 08:35 PM
you can not use tein edfc with tein ss .
i had tein ss. its nice.
congratz

bobdobbs
11-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Like he said, you can't used EDFC on the SS. I have them too and they are the best.

Peking
11-01-2003, 11:41 PM
Cool, heard nothing but good things about Tein :)

Brettnyt
11-02-2003, 12:09 AM
Make sure to post some pics man! 2.5"? Thats pretty slammed! Right on! :D

LiveOptix
11-02-2003, 01:42 AM
So The Ride Is Perfect Even Slammed That Low?

I May Be Changing My Plans Of Eibach...

bobdobbs
11-02-2003, 02:20 AM
I'm not sure how much total drop I have, since I didn't measure before I installed the Teins, but my ride is better than stock. I remember hitting bumps with the stock shocks and feeling it much worse than I do now, especially in the rear (of the car, not me ;)). I have my coilovers set to maximum drop in the rear (the spring seats are at the bottom) and about 1/2" above the bottom in the front. Here's a recent pic (next to a co-worker's RX-8):

danoonez
11-02-2003, 11:50 AM
I dont know what it is about that shot but that is an amazing photograph...keep up the good work.

Brettnyt
11-02-2003, 12:07 PM
Bobdobbs>RX-8... I always expect the RX-8 to look so much better than the ep, but the EP looks so sexy in that pic!

bobdobbs
11-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Thanks, guys. Honda could have had a real winner if they'd set up the car with a decent ride height and serious wheels/tires. I think the problem is US headlight height requirements. Look at where the RX-8's headlights are, compared to ours. They put them way up top, almost flush with the top of the fenders. Ours are way down low. Why, I don't know.

IceD out N CALI
11-02-2003, 05:15 PM
nice blue ep

danoonez
11-02-2003, 06:55 PM
hey bob what kind of rims are those and more importantly whats the width and offset because it looks absolutely perfect--the rear is filling up that fender flare beautifully.

bobdobbs
11-02-2003, 07:14 PM
They're OZ Superleggeras 15x7, +37 offset with 205/55-VR15 ContiExtremeContact tires. I was worried that 15s wouldn't look good and I think they look great. Plus, it's nice knowing that (1) you're maximizing your available performance with light wheels (10.5 pounds a piece) and (2) not every ricer in your neighborhood is eyeing your rims. Plus, they look great with the stock brakes:

anjapower
11-02-2003, 07:36 PM
2 questions:

1. I have 45 offset slipstreams on my car vs. your 37. Does that mean my rims stick out further out of the wheel well or do yours?

2. I want to get a different suspension setup (currently on Prokits) and have read your comments on the multiple offerings from Tein. I live in the Northeast, with plenty of salt and snow. Which Tein will hold up for me? Which coilover would be the best for me?

bobdobbs
11-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by anjapower
2 questions:

1. I have 45 offset slipstreams on my car vs. your 37. Does that mean my rims stick out further out of the wheel well or do yours?

I need to know your wheel width for sure, but +45 means closer to the wheel hub than +37 (by 8mm). I.e., my wheels stick out 8mm further, assuming you have a 7-inch wide rim.

2. I want to get a different suspension setup (currently on Prokits) and have read your comments on the multiple offerings from Tein. I live in the Northeast, with plenty of salt and snow. Which Tein will hold up for me? Which coilover would be the best for me?
Either the Tein Basics or SS would be great on a mostly street car. But, you might want to consider the KW V2 since they are stainless, if salt is an issue. I went with Tein SS because I've owned them before and I've always been very happy with them. If I couldn't get the SS, I'd probably get the KW V2 and then the Tein Basics.

anjapower
11-02-2003, 08:01 PM
I have a 16x7 rim. When I was ordering my wheels, the machiii.net rep told me to go with 45 instead of 40 because they would "look better on a Civic." I assumed that meant they would stick out further...

My car is a street car but will see atleast 5-6 autox's a season. It is also a daily driver...They definitely use salt up here in MA for the ice in the winter...so I can't have things rusting up on me. Do you think the concern of KW being a German company, thus not having much experience with a Japanese car such as the EP3 has any merit?

Edit: so the smaller the offset number, the further it sticks out?

danoonez
11-02-2003, 08:25 PM
They're OZ Superleggeras 15x7, +37 offset

Alright, im not gonna bite your style too much and buy the OZ's but I'm now settled on size and offset...bobdobbs is the man--thanks for the info.

bobdobbs
11-02-2003, 08:34 PM
I have a 16x7 rim. When I was ordering my wheels, the machiii.net rep told me to go with 45 instead of 40 because they would "look better on a Civic." I assumed that meant they would stick out further...
I disagree with him. I think +37 is the most you'd want to go outward, and +40 would be perfect. +45 on a 7" rim would be too far in. I would have gone with the +40s on that rim.

My car is a street car but will see atleast 5-6 autox's a season. It is also a daily driver...They definitely use salt up here in MA for the ice in the winter...so I can't have things rusting up on me. Do you think the concern of KW being a German company, thus not having much experience with a Japanese car such as the EP3 has any merit?

I wouldn't worry about that. I've heard nothing but good things about the KWs. I prefer the Teins because of their reputation, etc. and I figured I could always sell them easily if I wanted to. The KWs are a little more expensive, but them being stainless justifies that. However, the Teins have chromed threads, so I wouldn't worry much about them rusting.

Edit: so the smaller the offset number, the further it sticks out?
For the same width rim, yes.

bobdobbs
11-02-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by danoonez
Alright, im not gonna bite your style too much and buy the OZ's but I'm now settled on size and offset...bobdobbs is the man--thanks for the info.
Cool, post pics when you get something. Consider getting the Superleggeras, if they fit your budget. They're one of the best lightweight 15x7 wheels you're going to find. Rotas will be cheaper, though, but a couple pounds heavier.

chunky
11-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Cool, post pics when you get something. Consider getting the Superleggeras, if they fit your budget. They're one of the best lightweight 15x7 wheels you're going to find. Rotas will be cheaper, though, but a couple pounds heavier.

i second the superleggeras. they're awesome wheels. my only complaint is that they should be offered in a 15x8 size as well. :D

they look very good on the ep3's as well. granted, mine aren't as clean as mr. dobbs', but they look good nonetheless. click on link in my sig for a picture.

anjapower
11-02-2003, 08:54 PM
any particular advantage for me by going to 40s now instead of 45? I mean its def. not worth the trouble to sell my rims for that, or is it?

bobdobbs
11-02-2003, 09:05 PM
An endorsement from Chunky means a lot. That guy has forgotten more about car performance than most of us ever knew. :D

Chunky's got the light grey finish and I've got the bright silver.

bobdobbs
11-02-2003, 09:11 PM
any particular advantage for me by going to 40s now instead of 45? I mean its def. not worth the trouble to sell my rims for that, or is it?
It's up to you: A wider track will give you better handling. In this case, you'd get an additional 1 cm total, front and rear. Chunky, how much difference would this make?

danoonez
11-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Cool, post pics when you get something. Consider getting the Superleggeras, if they fit your budget. They're one of the best lightweight 15x7 wheels you're going to find. Rotas will be cheaper, though, but a couple pounds heavier

Well to be honest with you, I've always been a big fan of OZ (since they had that ad with the silver Ek) and I love the superleggera in that sort of black color and the silver too (for my white Si)... so I guess now that I have your encouragement, maybe the OZs are back into consideration:D Oh and yeah I think they'll fit in my budget...actually quite a big step down from what I was originally looking at...Mugen MF10L--forever my dream rim.

chunky
11-03-2003, 06:32 AM
It's up to you: A wider track will give you better handling. In this case, you'd get an additional 1 cm total, front and rear. Chunky, how much difference would this make?

the technical color name is titainium grey. i didn't even know that they made a bright silver color. cool. I see you also put the OZ decals on the lip of the rim. tire rack sent mine to me, but I never put them on.

as for the offset, going from +45 to +40 will give you a wider track by 10cm. You can feel that sort of difference if you drive the car at the limit. But be wary of rubbing on the outer fender. I had to trim/roll my fender to accomodate the camber settings I wanted in the rear with the 225 tires & offset combo.

but for hte most part, offset is primarily about fitment, you just need to have an offset that is within range, so I wouldn't bother with it. There are far more imprtant things in auto-x than a 10mm difference in track.

chunky
11-03-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by danoonez
Well to be honest with you, I've always been a big fan of OZ (since they had that ad with the silver Ek) and I love the superleggera in that sort of black color and the silver too (for my white Si)... so I guess now that I have your encouragement, maybe the OZs are back into consideration:D Oh and yeah I think they'll fit in my budget...actually quite a big step down from what I was originally looking at...Mugen MF10L--forever my dream rim.

as far as professional racing goes, there are two companies that dominate, OZ and BBS. from rally to CART, LeMans, and F1, those are the guys that supply the wheels.

For the most part, oz & bbs are kind of lacking in their wheel options for the tuner market. Their wheels tend to be made for larger cars that need a heavier stronger wheel. But for OZ, that all changed with the superleggera. The wheel IMO has the perfect look for the ep3, and is among the lightest cast wheels you can find. And you won't bend them or break them very easily at all. Quality control is also excellent on all OZ wheels.

they're worth the extra money over rota or any lesser brand wheel. Once you've owned a good set of wheels, you'll never want to go back.

i-WERKS
11-03-2003, 07:42 AM
Are the SS made specifically for the EP or is it for 2001+ civic?
It's adjustable as well right?
Any experiences with it bottoming out?

Civicvtec1ps
11-03-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
Are the SS made specifically for the EP or is it for 2001+ civic?
It's adjustable as well right?
Any experiences with it bottoming out?
there are tein ss that are specifically made for ep3.(im 99.9% sure on this) anyways tein ss is height adjustable and dampenig setting(which tein basic doesnt have).
i had tein ss on 02 ex. no bottoming out, very stiff for daily drive imo. went with soft tein s tech springs on ep.

bobdobbs
11-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
there are tein ss that are specifically made for ep3.(im 99.9% sure on this)

No, there is not an EP3-specific application for the Tein SS. You have to use the EM2 application and widen the lower bolt holes on the front to 16mm to use them on an EP3. It's an easy modification; just pay a machine shop to do it. Other than that, they're bolt-in.

bobdobbs
11-03-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by chunky
I see you also put the OZ decals on the lip of the rim. tire rack sent mine to me, but I never put them on.
Yeah, but you got the cool red-lettered center caps. Grrrrr....

as for the offset, going from +45 to +40 will give you a wider track by 10cm.
There are far more imprtant things in auto-x than a 10mm difference in track.
Just to clarify for anybody wondering what the actual difference in track is, it's 5 mm per side, or 10 mm total, which is 1 cm. (I have an easier time visualizing X centimeters than Y millimeters).

Civicvtec1ps
11-03-2003, 04:26 PM
No, there is not an EP3-specific application for the Tein SS. You have to use the EM2 application and widen the lower bolt holes on the front to 16mm to use them on an EP3. It's an easy modification; just pay a machine shop to do it. Other than that, they're bolt-in. thats new to me. i shoulve kept my tein ss haha, oh well i needed downpayment for my ep.so i sold it:D

scwafish
11-05-2003, 06:50 AM
bobdobbs-Car looks great in the photo, do you have any other angles with the new wheels and suspension.