PDA

View Full Version : help my axle popped out during my spring install

4g63dsm
11-01-2003, 11:17 PM
hi ugys my axel pooped out during my spring install on the pasenger side. i've justg about finished all the other spring with out a problem. i've tried to search for a thread about how to put it back in and they haven't helped. i've been turing it counter clock wise and puchin in for like 3 hours. i'm stumped. to put the axel back in how hard will i have to push it before it pops? really hard or will it just click in? and what will it feel like when it goes in the groove? my girlsfriends dad is a profesional mechanic, i talked to him on the phone and he said the i would need to use a specail tool to get it back in, i'm thinkin mabye he doesn't quite understand what happened.thanks i'm so frusterated

Brettnyt
11-01-2003, 11:32 PM
Hmmm... I cant help ya, but what springs are u puttin on? How has the install been up to now? I dunno if i wanna instal mine on my own or not... I might just have a shop intall a bunch of stuff at the same time...

andy
11-01-2003, 11:43 PM
Ah, Brett, you're just torturing the guy. Here he reads a new post
has been added...and it's nothing to help him. ;) j/p
Seriously, spring install isn't thaaat bad, but it can be time consuming
and a pain if you do it yourself (without a lift). Also, this axle
thing seems to happen a lot.

4g, did you see this thread yet? (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5913&highlight=axle+AND+spring+AND+install) - I know you said you searched, just trying to help. From
that thread, it sounds like you may want to make sure the axle is
level before pushing it in. Also sounds like you may want to get a
partner to help push in the axle while you spin it, or vice versa.
I have no good knowledge of how to fix this (just what I read), but
from the sounds of it, you probably have to give it a solid push.

Good luck, let us know if/when you get it back in...

4g63dsm
11-02-2003, 12:19 AM
ya i saw that thread and i was tyring to put it in and still cant', i wish htat picture was showing. i have no idea what i am feeling for by fondleing the boot

bc2k20a3
11-02-2003, 01:28 AM
you can do it 2 ways 1: keep tring to force it with the boot on or 2: slip the big end of the boot off being very careful not to lose all the grease. then all you hve to do is look which way to hold and place the 3 joints in. strap the boot back with a zip tie until you can go to the dealer and pick up a metal zip tie. i think i got 2 for like 5 to 8 bucks.

4g63dsm
11-02-2003, 02:37 AM
i dunno what to do its 1:30am and i'm finally giving up, i've spent 5 hours on the brake its self, most of the install is already done exept for this

ConeCrazy02
11-02-2003, 03:29 AM
I give it a try. After doing springs and coilovers (today too), I found what seems to be the best or the fastest way to "rotate" the axle back. I begin by putting my gear to reverse, use my right-hand(with gloves) to hold the handle looking thing and use my body to lean into the axle. Now use your left hand w/o gloves to rotate the rotor FORWARD at a slow pace, allowing your fingers and palm to feel any click or unsettle movement of the rotor. When you feel the click, apply extra force into the handle and rotate the rotor back and forward. I also notice that sometimes you have to position and reposition the rotor once I feel the click. If done correctly, you should be able to push in the rotor just a tad. Repeat the rotation of rotor, but in the reverse direction, do the same thing and you are just one click from finishing. Now once you get this far, you would repeat it rotating it the opposite direction, and with some luck and experience, the rotor should pop back in in no more than 15min :D

Ps once you got one in the other one is hard to put in for some reason, but remember to put ur gear into reverse and rotate at a slow pace, or else it will take an eternity.

Mad02Si
11-02-2003, 09:18 AM
Yeah the rotate push method works best, And put in gear so the tranny doesn't move as you doing it cause it will take forever.

Jpax
11-02-2003, 09:24 AM
So did you get it in yet?
are you in the seattle area? i can help you if you are, PM me, and i could come over and help. I m not doing anythign today.

bioevolve
11-02-2003, 09:44 AM
If it doesn't work, do this:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S5S01_B21.gif
Basically the CV boot fights against you when trying to line up. The splines line up with no prob, it's inside the CV boot is the problem.
Remove #9 or #10 boot band, which ever end is popped out (I used needle nose pliers and a flat tip screw driver). Fold back the boot, and you should line up the #6 and #7 tri bearings into the cavity end. Lube will be everywhere, so have lots of paper towels and extra lube on stand by. After you line it up and push it in, secure it in place and put lube in it and the #9 or #10 boot band back on. Take your time, make sure the band is tightened to maximum. Basically you squeeze as hard as you can with the needle nose, click, click, click....till it clicks no more.
I had to do that to both sides of mine when I did my swap, both R & L inners popped out on me.

Hope that helps ya.

4g63dsm
11-02-2003, 12:42 PM
pax thanks! please help! you get my pm?

NuG
11-02-2003, 08:49 PM
We had the same problem on my sister's rsx and on my ep. We finally got it by using the stock jack and raising the axle up a bit and then sliding it in. Good luck, I know how frustrating it can get.

Brettnyt
11-02-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by NuG
We had the same problem on my sister's rsx and on my ep. We finally got it by using the stock jack and raising the axle up a bit and then sliding it in. Good luck, I know how frustrating it can get.

He got it fixed last i heard... (local chapter) :D

NuG
11-02-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
He got it fixed last i heard... (local chapter) :D

Then let this be a heads up to people that might run into the same problem :cool: