PDA

View Full Version : Mugen Suspension 50000-XK2-KOSO EP3 Review

rswbrixton
11-02-2003, 08:00 AM
Mugen sport suspension for my EP3 was installed yesterday by the good people at Speedstar , located in Markham ( GTA Toronto ) .

I had a good 3 hours behind the wheel following the install of the suspension , and at time of install a 22mm JDM CTR sway was installed ( in places of stock 15mm ) , also a Spoon rear lower tie bar ( replacing my Dcpsorts tie ) .

The Mugen performance , certainly to some degree assisted by the 22mm sway , was absolutely fantastic . Steering feel , chassis feel and general suspension performance has improved significantly .

As some here knew , my previous setup was Neuspeed Race on oem shocks . Oem shocks at front were blown , springs had sagged and car was sitting far to low for my tastes and local road conditions . I am thankful yet a little sorry for my Neuspeed cross brace that has taken an awful pounding the last few months . And the suspension - steering - spring slap - shock cylinder rattle was becoming very annoying and even perhaps a little dangerous.

The Mugen was a direct bolt in , Strut assemblies were matched to strut hats properly and lubricated right from the box . Strut top is clearly marked indicating rear facing - engine facing and fender facing location . Even more fool proof is the fact that steering linkage arm from strut assembly faces rear of course and with that said everything right from the box is practically plug and play.

The ride is firm , almost stiff . Rough asphalt i encountered was felt in a positive response/feel , not a harsh crash as i had with the neuspeed race . The springs and shocks in the Mugen are certainly designed with spirited driving in mind , its like they know how to respond to certain conditions - speeds etc .

This is certainly a huge step forward versus my previous setup . Absoloutely no noise , binding , spring slap at all .

I will add more to this post in the next day , week and month as the Mugens get a taste of different roads , temps , speeds , etc . Again , this review also incorporates the fact that i have at same time upgraded sway bar to CTR 22MM .

More to follow later today as i put some miles on this system today .

Gs02SiR
11-02-2003, 08:54 AM
Its good to hear that your install went smoothly. Thanks for the review, I will be looking for you after the winter to get your opinion then, although I think my mind is set on Mugen. Just wait till u put your Rota's back on. I couldn't believe the difference in my ride despite my 4x4 setup.

Did you get the Spoon lower tie from Speedstar? Price?

And of course..pics?

Later
G

rswbrixton
11-02-2003, 09:26 AM
Hey G!! Was great to meet you Gs02 at Speedstar yesterday !!

Install was smooth , a couple tight bolts but the guys won out !

Yes , i got the Spoon lower tie from them also yesterday , 199.00 was the price and install was done ofcourse while suspension and sway bar were going on . The Spoon bar was one of William's November specials .

Im going to call him today - tomorrow and book a Spoon N1 exhaust . I was going to leave exhaust alone , but now i've opened a can of worms!!!!! T1R Earthing cables also .

I will add more review later today and over the next few weeks . Pics to follow soon i hope .

@doval
11-02-2003, 09:36 AM
Just ordered mine a couple of days ago....i heard a lot of good stuff about the mugen suspension kit....quality..price..ride...can't be beaten.;)

trk
11-02-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by @doval
Just ordered mine a couple of days ago....i heard a lot of good stuff about the mugen suspension kit....quality..price..ride...can't be beaten.;)

me too.. im sold.... Im buying tomorrow, id buy right now except its sunday :'(

Gasp23
11-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Any pics soon? I would love to see your ride on this bad boys.

Gs02SiR
11-02-2003, 01:28 PM
$199 damn thats a good price. Maybe I should make my way back there. The T1 ground system is also in the near future.

I guess so much for leaving the engine alone! Your heading down a long path that ends with boost.

Later
G

rswbrixton
11-02-2003, 01:48 PM
lol Gs02SiR !!! Spoon N1 and T1 earth cables were always on my "sort of/maybe/should i" list . William at Speedstar has great pricining on this stuff that has pushed me over the edge . Might do the c - pillar bar also .

But the new house remains first priority .

More Mugen Review .........

Spent a couple hours out and around town today , rainy and cool damp . Mugen suspension has made some of the worst city streets much more driveable versus my previous Neuspeed Race spring / oem shock combo . And again to this point no noise at all what-so-ever . Steering feel is so much improved . I took some rough city streets at higher than posted limits and the new suspension handled as i hoped for . Yes there is an impact , but indeed no bottoming out , Rebound is fast with no bounce and bump steer has decreased considerably also .

Mugen R&D worked to alleviate some of the bump steer issue and at present i think they engineered a great deal of that problem away .

Again , i will post more as time goes on . No pics available yet .

This suspension is worth every penny .

Tenacious G
11-02-2003, 02:33 PM
great review. it's nice to see EP-specific suspension pieces. did you get a chance to weigh the parts vs. the OEM setup? from what i've read before, the Mugen pieces are a lot heavier than the stock parts. could you tell a noticable difference?

rswbrixton
11-02-2003, 02:49 PM
^^ With the left front oem strut on my left arm and the left front Mugen strut on my right arm , the non-scientific method but none the less accurate , i would say that the Mugen is only slightly heavier at maybe 2-3 pounds .

In real world that means sweet f%$k all . If you wanna save weight and go fast , drive on 1/4 tank of gas , no washer fluid , get rid of the gym bag and the subwoofers and use lightweight forged wheels . Plus a 180 plus pound driver is a bigger load than a beefed up suspension .

Mugen review , 2 thumbs up , way up .

eurosteez
11-02-2003, 03:24 PM
nice post dude. makes me want em even more now. :o

trabadoo22
11-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Sweet. Good to hear another good review on this suspension. I got mine last Friday, but I'm debating wheather or not to install them before winter.

estebones
11-02-2003, 11:52 PM
so...when do we get pics?

02TafWhtSi
11-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Good review! It really is an awesome setup :)

rswbrixton
11-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Another day on the Mugens , still rainy and damp here in Ontario , been to work and back and downtown etc for errands .

Stop and go traffic , some high speed on the highway , some rough city asphalt again and ... the best ... 15 minutes in an industrial park to really let loose .

The firm/stiff suspension and the fact that my car now feels more firmly planted to the ground ( after blown shocks and neuspeed race springs removed ) helps in acceleration to some degree . A little less wheel hop and the relocated steering arm has decreased the amount of torque steer . Bump steer on the rough stuff as mentioned in previous post is much improved , much ! .

Some tight turns at speed , fast reverse while steering clock and counter clockwise , all occur with less body roll and better sensation of the road and steering . Again absolutely no suspension noise or any mechanical noise .

As mentioned also in previous post , a portion of suspension improvement during cornering / slalom type driving ,is attributed to the 22mm sway bar installed at same time .

Still 2 thumbs up and a big recommendation on a sway bar upgrade . EP stock is 15mm , Rsx i believe are 17 - 19 mm and jdm CTR IS 22 . At least try to do the 19 mm , but if avail for few dollars more do the 22mm .

more to follow ....

!@#$%
11-03-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by estebones
so...when do we get pics?

im wondering the same thing

rswbrixton
11-04-2003, 04:46 AM
Sorry guys , i have yet to get the camera out . If you see my members ride , red ep , it is on Neuspeed Race , now car is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 higher .

Back with updated pics soon i hope .

02TafWhtSi
11-04-2003, 06:10 PM
Here's my EP (R.I.P.) with the Mugens installed to tide you over:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/pa1833fdbda42ecfb27c024d4e10ec056/fb6dc65c.jpg

@doval
11-06-2003, 04:24 PM
I'm very happy to anounce my mugen suspension has arrive today....i'm sooo happpppyyyyy!!! so this saturday my uncle will install it plus the E.S. motor mounts inserts...i'll keep you posted about the ride and feelings.:) :) :)

trk
11-06-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by @doval
I'm very happy to anounce my mugen suspension has arrive today....i'm sooo happpppyyyyy!!! so this saturday my uncle will install it plus the E.S. motor mounts inserts...i'll keep you posted about the ride and feelings.:) :) :)

dude, you took the post right out of my fingers...

I ordered the susp today the motor mounts go in tomorrow.

:-)

Sweet.

william
11-06-2003, 09:39 PM
orderd susp, last week, should be in soon. Wondering if I should get the ES inserts. Cant wait to install, awesome post man

Hatch, Si Hatch
11-07-2003, 06:07 AM
*yoda*
Happy you all will be.

Nice Mugen is.

You I condradulate, for you were wise in your purchases.
*end yoda*

Nice review by the way. I'll probably highjack this thread for a split second next week after my first auto-x outing with the suspension.

rswbrixton
11-07-2003, 04:10 PM
Day 6 with the Mugen Sport Suspension .

God created this spring -shock combination . It is that perfect .

Im not a religious man , but you ought to here scream Holy Shit as i work this suspension .

Mugen . Perfect.

@doval
11-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Just my uncle decide to install my suspension kit today and the inserts and the sus. was a breeze but the front e.s. insert was a really and great pain in the ass....and the 15min. test drive ...was a pleasure...those mugens feel a lot better than anything...very happy indeed :)

trk
11-07-2003, 09:55 PM
Got the ES motor mount inserts installed ... damn, what a diff... makes car handle so much better... completely stops the violent understear induced shaking when you are at the cars cornering limits.... plus shifts are way smoother, car is way more solid. The idle is way rougher though, oh well, tradeoffs. Cant wait for the mugens.

@doval
11-08-2003, 06:50 AM
Nice dude....you won't regret it

@doval
11-08-2003, 06:53 AM
rswbrixton your mugens will get much better in a few more days..thats i heard

IceD out N CALI
11-08-2003, 09:46 AM
nice review, makes me almost want to get them

rswbrixton
11-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Still happy as the proverbial pig in shit . Added today the ALEX C-Pillar bar . Car is snug and tight.

rswbrixton
11-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Sorry , car is filthy and 14" snows dont help the appearence. But its also all in the feel .

rswbrixton
11-08-2003, 10:49 PM
another .

rswbrixton
11-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Big thanks Graham for the pics !!!

Tenacious G
11-09-2003, 03:31 PM
*pumps fists in the air*

damn you canadiens and your milano red SiRs!!! dang, even with the 14" steelies, the drop still looks good.

Civicvtec1ps
11-09-2003, 05:11 PM
RED color is dead sexy...
drop looks good

todaCspec
11-10-2003, 07:34 AM
Sweet looking ride! I didn't know you can fit 14 inch rims on our ride, thought it would get in the way of the brake caliper. Do you need a camber kit for the rear?

BlackHatcher
11-10-2003, 10:30 AM
where is the best place to order one of these kits?

Joe

rswbrixton
11-10-2003, 03:34 PM
No camber kit . And the 14" inch fit real nice , offset of the steelwheels is perfect .

02TafWhtSi
11-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Looks great! Some nice 16" bronze lightweights and you're all set :cool:

Heitzke
11-11-2003, 06:46 PM
Hey, awesome car, i hope to purchase the same suspension at some point. Do you think you could post a pic of the c-pillar bar, i dont think ive ever seen one before.

rswbrixton
11-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Yep , i will get pic of c-pillar up on here in the next day or so , another post on here at moment about a plug 0r cap to fill rear wiper hole shows a carbon hatch on an ep - and you can clearly see through the rear glas a c-pillar bar on that car.

trk
11-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by rswbrixton
Yep , i will get pic of c-pillar up on here in the next day or so , another post on here at moment about a plug 0r cap to fill rear wiper hole shows a carbon hatch on an ep - and you can clearly see through the rear glas a c-pillar bar on that car.

please post pics ... im very interested