PDA

View Full Version : how to install a type s head?????

Ep3_kid
11-02-2003, 03:11 PM
ok.. i just bought the head.. and i would like to know.. what i need to make it fit on the a3... should i keep my pistons?? or put some a2 pistons on it...what ecu?? i need help.. please

here is the head http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p71c7278de0577511ceeaa70f23c86e96/faaa4bc9.jpg

andy
11-02-2003, 03:30 PM
You'll need an RSX-S ECU, I know that.
You probably want to check Sport Compact Car, Super Street or
Honda Tuning's (there's one more...) websites for their old article.
Sport Compact Car, I know for sure, had an article on how to swap
an A2 head onto a K20A3...unless it was Super Street. Damn, I can't
remember.

You may also want to do some research on honda-tech as well.

chubbychu
11-02-2003, 04:24 PM
whats the difference between swapping the head and swapping the entire motor?

Ep3_kid
11-02-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
whats the difference between swapping the head and swapping the entire motor?

this will answer your question.. "$$$$$$$$$$"

chubbychu
11-02-2003, 04:30 PM
really thats it?!

andy
11-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Just the head is cheaper than the whole A2 block.

However, the A2 has lightened/stronger internals (I dunno how to
describe it exactly, but it's built more for the higher redline)
and has a few other small differences. More detail at k-series.com,
probably.

D16Y8_Turbo
11-02-2003, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't say the K20A3 and K20A2 are the same internally. Look for a back issue of the installation of the Type S head on a Si. I believe it was a August or July issue. The car gained 20 hp at the wheels with hondata ECU. It should be a pretty simple head swap.

Where did you find the head? I have been looking for one for 3 weeks.

javi2002whitesi
11-02-2003, 08:13 PM
yeah ive been looking for one also but i cant seem to find just the head only the entire motor which is too much $$$$$ im down in miami so lemme know where u got yours..im tired of my brother talkin shit bout his type s. lol

chubbychu
11-02-2003, 10:17 PM
so how much does that cost anyways? that sounds like a good future project if the price is right

DavidT
11-03-2003, 02:00 AM
If you're not mechanically inclined or don't know what you're doing please don't attempt to do it. If you are mechanically incline, the whole head swap shouldn't take too long. Go get yourself a headgasket "kit", it should come with all necessary gaskets. Pull out a good service manual and go at it. Pretty simple and straight forward. But again, if you don't know much don't mess with it. Not for the average do-it-yourselfer. You'll need to realign the timing chain, make sure everything is torqued to spec, etc etc. You need a Type-S ECU also because VTEC operates around 5800 RPMs on the A2 motor and the fuel mapping is totally different when the A2 is in VTEC mode.

You don't need a2 pistons unless you want the a2 compression ratio. The difference between the a3 and a2 is the a2's bottom end is built to take the higher RPMs (Better balanced crank, stronger rods, stronger bearings, different pistons, etc). I don't know about you all, but I don't really trust revving my a3 block to 8k everyday (If it was ok to do so, Honda would of put a 8k redline on it). I'm sure it can take it if you did it once in awhile...but everyday, you'll probably spin a bearing or something. Just my 2 cents.

chubbychu
11-03-2003, 05:00 PM
davidt...this is why you will be doing it for mE =oD

Ep3_kid
11-03-2003, 05:35 PM
hey davidt.. that was some helpful info there..:D :D .. do you think if i keep my stock rods and pistons for a while.. and reflash my stock ecu like somebody else told me.. i wont damage anything?
im not doing it by myself.. im doing it with my friend carlo.. he used to work for cybernation and he was the one that boosted the 500whp+ rsx-s, the nsx and some other cars... but i would like to work on this also.. and i need to learn more about this mod..the pros and cons... before i install it.. not after i put it in.. you nkow what i mean..i want to do it right the first time;) ;)

ps: my brother bought the head, i dont know how much did he pay for it.. but it was from a local kid

Rey
11-03-2003, 05:41 PM
http://www.hybridgarage.com/

This may help, I don't know about the swap tho...............

DavidT
11-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Ep3_kid
hey davidt.. that was some helpful info there..:D :D .. do you think if i keep my stock rods and pistons for a while.. and reflash my stock ecu like somebody else told me.. i wont damage anything?

I'm sure your stock rods and pistons will hold up for awhile. Our motors are still too new on the market to tell really. If you think about it, the A3 Hondata reflash sets the rev limit at 7700 RPMs and everyone using it here hasn't had a problem yet; so I guess just make sure you don't go past 8k just for incase. We have a sweet rod/stroke ratio to rev high, but Honda didn't build the crank/rod/pistons to rev to 8k everyday. The a2 block has different rod journals, oil squirters, crank bearings, etc, all of which will take more revs than the stock a2 valve springs can handle.

You can use your stock ECU as long as it's reflashed with a Type-S ECU program. Reason being is VTEC engages at 5800 RPMs with much more aggressive VTC and fuel controls vs. our A3 2200 RPM VTEC. The fall back with having say, Hondata, reflash your A3 ECU with an A2 program is the amount of money, plus additional down time. For the $500+ they're asking to reflash, you could probably buy a use RSX-S ECU with less down time.

Doing this swap always reminds me of the old LS/VTEC hybrid. While the head has potential, the downfall is the block. I know our rod/stroke ratio is identicle to the A2 vs. the LS block and the GSR block ratios...but a lot of LS blocks end up spinning bearings, breaking cranks, smudging sidewalls and all that because the block wasn't built to handle 8k revs that the head needs to preform optimumly. Like I said, our motors have little history so I'm not too sure on how well our a3 blocks will handle the revs. Good luck ;)

chubbychu
11-03-2003, 10:30 PM
dude, david...theres this guy who lives in chico talkin smack about you...telling me that a "free install" doesnt mean its a good install. Man this guy is acting like he knows everything lets get this spring thing done ASAP just to shut him up.

DavidT
11-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
dude, david...theres this guy who lives in chico talkin smack about you...telling me that a "free install" doesnt mean its a good install. Man this guy is acting like he knows everything lets get this spring thing done ASAP just to shut him up.

That "dude" doesn't have real friends ;) I never charge to work on my friend's cars...only if I'm desperate poor. I'm open ALL week this week, so anyday is good.

chubbychu
11-04-2003, 05:08 PM
you called it bro...truthfully, he only has like 3 friends lol...everyone else i know hates him. friday around 4:30?