PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hour Oil Change

labelhunter
09-11-2002, 05:20 PM
Well today ive decided not to go to honda and pay 85 bucks for the second service maintainence. they dont do much for 85 bucks it cost me a total of 15 bucks to do an oil change and i ordered the k&n drop in air filter which is coming saturday or monday (50 bucks) Im waiting for the icebox. Anyways so i jack my car up and i pull the plug.... flushhh theres the oil. ahhhh plug it back up. on to the filter. I bought the special wrench so I could get if off. Ok errrrrrrrr im trying and trying cant get the fucking thing off. i swear hurcules put this filter on I dont know if they guys at honda are fucking idiots but there is no reason for a filter to be that tight. no reason so i was out there for two hours till i finally grabed a monkey wrench an squeezed the shit out of it to get it off. FINALLY DAM well just wanted to let u know THE DEALERSHIP PUTS THOSE BAD BOYS ON THERE TIGHT!! BE CAREFUL!

SpeedRacer
09-11-2002, 05:23 PM
yea i had the same problem i would recommend getting the first oil change done by someone else then do all the rest yourself.

02blksi
09-11-2002, 05:42 PM
LOL, i to just got in from my oil change experience, let me tell you it was a f*cking nightmare!!!! it went as follows:
1. Drive car up on ramps
2. get on dollie slide underneath car to survey the situation
3. Done surveying, now get the tools
4. First put on my "mechanic" gloves (rubber grip etc)
4.5 Get back on dollie and slide underneath car
5. Try to loosen filter, no luck, that F*ckers on there! thats ok ill just get my universal oil filter wrench
6. put it on oil filter, F*ck its to small
7. CURSE ALOT, get my composure again and this time i think im a god damn genius, i came up with an idea! Off comes the mechanic glove (right hand) fold the glove over the oil filter grip side down and then put the oil wrench over it--- Still to big to grip the filter!
CURSE MORE! SLAM TOOLS ! HIT GROUND
8.get out from under car and try to grip the filter from above, no luck just as tight and forget getting tools in there
9. Kick the garage.
10. go inside get a beer....
11. sip my beer
12. place beer back down and get back on dollie, slide underneath this time with a phillips screwdriver and hammer in hand.
13. Laugh out loud and say a quick prayer i dont break anything.
14. cell phone rings, search my pocket and find my phone (its the girlfriend :) ) tell her im under the car with a hammer ill call you back. --hangup
15. position screwdriver tip on oil filter, hit with hammer, presto clean hit straight through the filter, oil spurts out and gets on my shirt.
16. Grab for the oil bucket and let the filter drain
17. Slowy free the oil filter from the deps of hell.
18. Curse at those bloody BLOKES that put it on there so tight and swear never to shake the person's hand that puts them on .
19. 1.5 hrs. later put my new filter on and continue with the rest of my "oil change experience" which took about 15 min to complete.

Lesson learned:
Buy that god damn oil wrench for this little bastard filters.

BTW: my oil filter was the same size as the one on the car. That is what my local honda dealership stocks as the replacement filter for the k20a3 ..

:p :D --joe

JSIR
09-11-2002, 07:24 PM
I finally broke down and bought the oil filter wrench from Honda that fits our stock filters. The filter comes of in a snap, entire oil change takes 10 mins max, and I can change the oil filter from above the engine, no need to go under the car.

Honda raped me for the filter wrench, but it works, and I had spent many hours looking for a proper sized wrench without any luck. Oh well its paid for itself already after a couple oil changes. If you want to do your own changes I highly recommend buying the proper wrench from Honda, or if you can find a 63mm 16 sided wrench in the aftermarket go for it.

02blksi
09-11-2002, 07:26 PM
how much did honda rape you for that wrench? i want to get one also. thanks --joe

greenguy
09-11-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
how much did honda rape you for that wrench? i want to get one also. thanks --joe

And how much are the filters?
Also I want to know what this wrench is. Can a strap wrench be used?
Anyone work for honda want to get a bunch w/ your discount and sell em to us:D ?

HondaMan
09-11-2002, 07:55 PM
Glad I got JiffyLube to take mine off the first time and now the easy Fram (SureGrip) filter is on there and I should be able to take it off with my bare hands.

BTW, JiffyLube didn't have the filter for our cars but I had the Fram oil filter (part# PH6607) on hand...its small just like the Honda filter. So, if I can get my ride up on some ramps I'll be good to go next go around but I also will be back in Georgia soon where family/friends have tons of tools/jacks to get the job done with ease. :D

whitehotEX
09-12-2002, 12:28 AM
the dealer RAPES you on EVERYTHING. thats why i try to take care of most of that stuff my self. it saves a LOT!

JSIR
09-12-2002, 06:21 AM
In US funds it will probably be around $25 down there, considerably more up here in Canada in Cdn funds. Its a nice piece in terms of construction, but over-priced like most Honda parts. Even though it was over-priced I'm still glad I got it because it fits perfectly, and allows me to change the filter from above the engine bay, I just torque the filter on to spec, easy on and easy off. I,m tired of working underneath the car. The wrench has paid for itself already. I checked the aftermarket wrenches and the smallest one I found was 64mm, the stock filter is 63mm, so they never quite fit properly. If you can find a 63mm wrench that would work, but I never found one.

I tried one of those strap wrenches but I didn't find one small enough to fit, plus the room in that area of the engine is very limited. When guys talk about oil changes taking 1-2 hrs, paying a few bucks extra for a proper filter wrench doesnt sound too bad. If anyone needs the part number let me know. I think I listed it in some other posts, but can do it again if anyone is interested.

SpacemanSpiff
09-12-2002, 06:31 AM
My local PepBoys had a cup wrench that fit perfectly for about $10. It was the smallest that they had. I tested it on the replacement oil filter before I left the store and it fit fine. Got it home and it fit on the stock filter no problem.

JSIR
09-12-2002, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff
My local PepBoys had a cup wrench that fit perfectly for about $10. It was the smallest that they had. I tested it on the replacement oil filter before I left the store and it fit fine. Got it home and it fit on the stock filter no problem.

I bought one from Autozone that seemed to fit fine on a filter that I took with me to the store. But when I got home and tried to wrench it on an installed filter it started slipping, so it was slightly off, which I found out was about 1mm difference - 64mm vs. 63mm. Have you tried taking off the stock filter yet ?, did it work ?, if so then $10 would be a decent price.

LateSleeper
09-12-2002, 07:07 AM
What's the Honda part # for the smaller stock filter? To be honest, I don't have a lot of confidence in Fram filters.

iHeartOxycotin
09-12-2002, 08:28 AM
i bought a honda oem replacement filter yesterday and i dont remember the code but it was $7.19 including tax.

SpacemanSpiff
09-12-2002, 08:56 AM
Yep, it took the stock filter right off. No problems. The stock filter was on there tight, but the the wrench didnt slip.
It was a Ritefit Oil Filter Cap Wrench, Size F from PepBoys. It fit the stock filter and the Mobil1 replacement filter.

labelhunter
09-12-2002, 02:23 PM
this is the part number for the filter from honda it was around 5 bucks #07HAA-PJ70100

labelhunter
09-12-2002, 02:26 PM
THATS THE WRENCH PART NUMBER

JSIR
09-12-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff
Yep, it took the stock filter right off. No problems. The stock filter was on there tight, but the the wrench didnt slip.
It was a Ritefit Oil Filter Cap Wrench, Size F from PepBoys. It fit the stock filter and the Mobil1 replacement filter.

that's great, one of the few aftermarket wrenches that actually fit right. This is good info for anyone that is looking for the right sized wrench, and its about 1/2 price of the Honda one. You guys should make note of this from Spacemanspiff, good info.

labelhunter
09-12-2002, 02:36 PM
this is the filter number #15400-PLM-A01

LateSleeper
09-13-2002, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the part number labelhunter.:D

Mechanic
09-15-2002, 02:35 AM
The CORRECT oil filter part # for the K series engine is 15400-PLM-A01.

As for Fram's filters, just for grims, invest in two oil filters, one from Fram (or whatever else Pep Boys has on sale), and a Honda filter. Then cut the two open. Pull them apart. Look at the difference.

Once you have done that, I doubt that you'll be buying many Fram filters.