PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying an EP... Worth getting a 2004?

io_burn
11-04-2003, 02:14 PM
I'm looking pretty hard at getting an EP Hatch. I've currently got an Integra Type R that is nearing the end of its warranty, so it's time for a new car. I figure with an EP I can have no car payment, and that will be pretty wicked.

Anyway, with the changes in the 2004 with the steering, wheels, etc... Is it worth paying the premium for the new model, as oppose to the $16.5 you can pay for the 2003 just about anywhere?

Civicvtec1ps
11-04-2003, 02:17 PM
no.
get 03.
nothing special with 04 ep anyway. just ugly headlights, taillights
5 lugs. woo pee doo ;) honda shoulve put k20a2 instead k20a3 on 04 si models then i would trade in ;)

Zero Three Si
11-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Get the 2003!

bobdobbs
11-04-2003, 02:20 PM
'03 all the way. There's nothing on the '04s that make it worth more.

shimmy_yaz
11-04-2003, 02:22 PM
Go with the 03 and then with the money you save and havin no payment as you said you can change some of the stuff from the 04 that you like if you like any.

io_burn
11-04-2003, 02:22 PM
Well, at the same time would you be able to pick up a '04 for as cheap as you could an '03? Or are the '03's only going for that much because of the dealer incentives?

Also... What should I insist on paying? I'm under the impression 16.5 is as low as almost any dealer will go on the car, and then another $500 is as low as they'll go for the extended warranty?

bobdobbs
11-04-2003, 02:26 PM
$16,871 is the going price for a car on the dealer's lot. That's invoice price minus the $1000 factory-to-dealer incentive. You won't get that deal on an '04 when they hit the lots, probably next month.

Skip the extended warranty.

io_burn
11-04-2003, 02:31 PM
Why skip the extended warranty? I've had really good luck with them in the past. (4WD transfer case went out on my Jeep... Warranty more than paid for itself.)

But, I suppose I haven't had to make a warranty claim on my Integra yet though :) I don't really plan to mod, just use as a daily driver.

And as long as I've got you guys answering questions, going 90-100mph in the EP, what RPM are you at? (I do a lot of freeway driving, speed of traffic around here is NUTS!)

andy
11-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Skip the warranty because for the most part, on a reliable car like
a Honda, it's not worth it. And chances are anything that you would
want your warranty to cover (i.e. transmission, engine) would be
a "wear" item, anyway. Plus, you can also get extended warranties
outside of dealerships that are sometimes cheaper...

As for 90-100, it's been a while since I drove my car, but it gets
up there in the RPMs when you are on the highway. I'd say about 5000-5500k, maybe a lil' more. I think most people tap out at 6800 (redline)
going 120ish.

bobdobbs
11-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by io_burn
Why skip the extended warranty? I've had really good luck with them in the past. (4WD transfer case went out on my Jeep... Warranty more than paid for itself.)

Because it's a Honda, not a Jeep.

But, I suppose I haven't had to make a warranty claim on my Integra yet though :)

See.

I don't really plan to mod, just use as a daily driver.

Mmooowaahahahaha! Right.

anjapower
11-04-2003, 02:51 PM
yea definitely get the 03..nothing is worth it on the 04...maybe the 5lug but hardly. At 100mph your RPM will be at ~5100.

io_burn
11-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Why do you guys crap on the extended warranty so much though? It seems kind of foolish not to buy. I've read a lot of good things with people getting things fixed with their warranties on Honda-Tech with Acuras... Is Honda's extended warranty different than Acura's? I don't see how that would be?

DavidT
11-04-2003, 03:00 PM
I'll trade you straight across, my 02 EP3 w/9k miles for your ITR w/no warranty...what do you say? :D :p

io_burn
11-04-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
I'll trade you straight across, my 02 EP3 w/9k miles for your ITR w/no warranty...what do you say? :D :p

HA! I'm going to try to sell my ITR to some rich yuppie punk for as close to 20k as possible :)

bobdobbs
11-04-2003, 03:06 PM
Why do you guys crap on the extended warranty so much though? It seems kind of foolish not to buy.
No, it's foolish TO buy. Extended warranties are a cash cow for the dealer. Why? Because they hardly ever get used. One of the things you get when you buy a Honda is reliability. Doesn't it make no sense to you that the dealer then tries to push an extended warranty on one of the most reliable cars you can buy? If you were buying a Dodge, it makes sense. It doesn't on a Honda.

DavidT
11-04-2003, 03:07 PM
I dunno about you, but if I were you I'd keep the ITR. They will be one of the very rare import classics one day and it will be worth a lot of money. The EP will be not be nearly as fun to drive (Although MUCH more comfortable) than your ITR. If I was to do it over again, I'd take my time to find a nice ITR and buy the ITR instead of my EP3. The thought of the B18C5 flying near 9000 RPMs is well...great. That's just me though.

Another thing, about extended warranties. I use to work at a Honda dealership. If you are one of those picky people, who need everything to be perfect the extended warranty is nice. If anything goes wrong with the drivetrain/motor etc, Honda will cover it. But if you don't plan on owning the car for a long time it doesn't really matter anyway. BUT, right now in your situation, if you were to buy an EP and not get the extended warranty, might as well just keep your ITR because another 3 yrs/36k miles on the ITR is nothing...and in that amount of time the EP's warranty will be over and you would of basically just traded for nothing.

io_burn
11-04-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
I dunno about you, but if I were you I'd keep the ITR. They will be one of the very rare import classics one day and it will be worth a lot of money. The EP will be not be nearly as fun to drive (Although MUCH more comfortable) than your ITR. If I was to do it over again, I'd take my time to find a nice ITR and buy the ITR instead of my EP3. The thought of the B18C5 flying near 9000 RPMs is well...great. That's just me though.

Ehh... I've kind of moved on from the whole sportscar phase of my life. I'm just looking for something to get me to and from work and get decent gas milage, but still have a fun side to it... Which describes the Si perfectly! :) Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome car, I've just kind of grown up and have different focuses in my life, like buying some property, stuff like that, and having an econonmical, reliable car fits in to that plan nicely :P

DavidT
11-04-2003, 03:14 PM
Ehh... I've kind of moved on from the whole sportscar phase of my life. I'm just looking for something to get me to and from work and get decent gas milage, but still have a fun side to it... Which describes the Si perfectly! :) Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome car, I've just kind of grown up and have different focuses in my life, like buying some property, stuff like that, and having an econonmical, reliable car fits in to that plan nicely :P

Amen, we all get to that phase...which is why I got rid of my beloved Prelude SH (cry cry) and got the EP for gas mileage and even though it was brand new, the payments and insurance was way less than my Prelude lol. Sure you don't want to trade for my EP? You can still op for the extended waranty :D Trust me on this, cause I was once in your situation, YOU WILL MISS 8000+ RPM REVS! :D Miss it enough to wonder why you even got rid of your old vehicle. Anyway, consider the RSX-S? It's just as fun as your ITR and more comfy :)

anjapower
11-04-2003, 03:27 PM
extended warranty is a waste...are you gonna be modding your car? It's a waste if you are and its a waste if you're not. Just maintain your car well and if it's not a lemon it will last you a long time w/o problems. Screw extended warranties. If you really want to spend the extra money, spend a lil more and get the rsx-s.

io_burn
11-04-2003, 03:33 PM
Meh, I might miss it... but ahh well :) RSX-S's are kind of over-priced, considering you can get WRX's for mid 22k's without any issue... Why would you buy a slower FWD coupe?

(Don't get me wrong, I really like the RSX, it just is a little overpriced I think.)

DavidT
11-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Meh, I might miss it... but ahh well :) RSX-S's are kind of over-priced, considering you can get WRX's for mid 22k's without any issue... Why would you buy a slower FWD coupe?

(Don't get me wrong, I really like the RSX, it just is a little overpriced I think.)

I thought we were looking for gas mileage and reliability? :D ;) Besides, the WRX has 4 doors...dunno about you but 4 doors is 2 too many for me :p The Type S actually has a better gas mileage rating than the EP because it's a 6-spd. 31 MPG vs the EP's 30 MPG...I know trivial but hey ;) And you know the K20A2 is a SUPERB motor, both very well balanced, super smooth, and very reliable.

WRXs are very nice cars, but I am not fond of boosted motors. Too much crap can go wrong, if you do consider a WRX definantly get the extrended warranty.

Anyway, back on subject. EP is no doubt a nice car, if you have your mind set on one. Go test drive one and get one. You'll love the low-end torque the A3 has to offer over the B18C's. 03 model is fine, 04 models just have different f/r lights, 5-lug and have the option for a $4500 factory bodykit, wheel, suspension deal...which would bring the EP into the Type-S price range. :D

anjapower
11-04-2003, 03:41 PM
so u modding it or no? considering your t1-r debacle;)

io_burn
11-04-2003, 03:41 PM
31 MPG but your gas costs 20 cents more per gallon :)

io_burn
11-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by anjapower
so u modding it or no? considering your t1-r debacle;)

God no :) (At least, one would hope not anyway.)

djaaronk
11-04-2003, 04:34 PM
I for one am waiting for the '04 models to hit. I happen to love the new headlights...they seem to look smaller than the 02-03's. I remember one magazine saying that it is a nice car, but has "gigantic peepers." The new tail lights are ok. The new 16" wheels are super sweet. I am just looking for the every day driver that is a little different and has a little power to it. I don't mod at all...maybe just a little tint someday. I know that since they have minor changes, dealers will try to get a premium for the '04s so I may have to wait for a few months.

bobdobbs
11-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by djaaronk
I happen to love the new headlights
The new tail lights are ok.
The new 16" wheels are super sweet.
Well, dude, you will be welcome here, even though you have really strange taste.

Peking
11-04-2003, 04:51 PM
I'm looking pretty hard at getting an EP Hatch. I've currently got an Integra Type R that is nearing the end of its warranty, so it's time for a new car. I figure with an EP I can have no car payment, and that will be pretty wicked.
Anyway, with the changes in the 2004 with the steering, wheels, etc... Is it worth paying the premium for the new model, as oppose to the $16.5 you can pay for the 2003 just about anywhere?

What :eek: , as much love I have for the EP3. Integra Type R is super sweet. Also don't go for the 04, 03 SI would be the better choice.

IceD out N CALI
11-04-2003, 05:50 PM
just keep the type r man. an ep would be a step down (even though the integra getting a lil old now)

djaaronk
11-05-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Well, dude, you will be welcome here, even though you have really strange taste.

Thanks bobdobbs. I know that with every year, facelift, change there are going to be those that like it from the start and some that is grows on, and some that never dolike it. Honda usually does styling things that look good for years to come even if they don't always appeal to the masses immediately. I have always liked the hatch since '02...I just alway thought it looked like an elephant in ballet slippers with those tiny 15" wheels. I am not a "modder" so I am excited to see the '04 Si look good stock. I can't wait to become "part of the family."