PDA

View Full Version : stupid mech where i got my oil changed

02situner
11-04-2003, 03:37 PM
took si for its first oil change. i pulled it on the lift for them and went next door to a hardware store came back he was just finishing up pulling it off of the ramp. when i look over and see him stop and i notice a big trail of oil from the car. then i look under the lift and there is a huge puddle of oil. i guess he didnt put back on some seal when he put the oil filter back on. now i have burning oil smell and i have to clean up the bottom of the motor.

Will it hurt the engine to run it for maybe 30 seconds at low rps with little to no oil in it? he only had it turned on for maybe 30 seconds and had only driven about 5 feet.

bobdobbs
11-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Yup, it will hurt it. You might not see any problems now, but you will when you start racking up the miles. I would demand they replace your engine and pursue legal action if they didn't.

andy
11-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by 02situner

Will it hurt the engine to run it for maybe 30 seconds at low rps with little to no oil in it? he only had it turned on for maybe 30 seconds and had only driven about 5 feet.

Nope, you should be fine. Several people on here have gone into "limp
mode" (engine will only rev so high) because of low oil. Just fill 'er
up (or do another complete change) and happy driving...

EDIT: I take that back, sort of agree with bobdobbs, but ONLY if there
really was NO oil in the engine. However, from your description, sounds
like you maybe only leaked a couple quarts, at most.

bobdobbs
11-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by andy
Nope, you should be fine. Several people on here have gone into "limp
mode" (engine will only rev so high) because of low oil. Just fill 'er
up (or do another complete change) and happy driving...
Low oil is different than NO oil. The chumps at the oil-change place did something supremely stupid. He could either forget about it and hope something doesn't go wrong down the road, or get a new engine. Better safe than sorry.

DavidT
11-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Shit happens all the time @ lube shops. That's why I always do my own oil change, so cheap and easy. I'd go back and have them throughly clean the bottom of your motor...they will/should do it free of charge b/c they messed up.

As far as the low oil pressure deal, if it sounds ok now you should be ok...don't worry too much about it. However if it sounds different, then it's not ok.

io_burn
11-04-2003, 04:16 PM
If nothing else get them to pay for a complete engine test at the dealership, compression, or leakdown tests. (Or whatever test would show whether or not the car running without/low on oil damaged anything.)

And THEN you could pursue any kind of damages as far as getting them to pay for a new engine is concerned.

02situner
11-04-2003, 09:54 PM
i am going to see how it sounds tomarrow so fare it sounds fine. i know there was some oil in it but i am not sure how much.

the JigGa mAn
11-04-2003, 09:55 PM
im with burn

LASI02
11-05-2003, 09:21 AM
I can't believe they would do that to a k20a2 . . . hint hint

Driftin SI
11-05-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by io_burn
If nothing else get them to pay for a complete engine test at the dealership, compression, or leakdown tests. (Or whatever test would show whether or not the car running without/low on oil damaged anything.)

And THEN you could pursue any kind of damages as far as getting them to pay for a new engine is concerned.

What he said, better safe then sorry. If crap starts going wrong down the road, you'll be SOL.

NemesisITR
11-05-2003, 12:46 PM
reminds me of when Honda blew up my 02 Ep:D

Zero Three Si
11-05-2003, 12:51 PM
NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER take your car to a jiffy lube or some shit hole like that.

I do 1 of 3 things...

Take it to the dealer(gags), Take it to my local Ma' n Pa' shop that I used to work at, or change it myself. I've been to a Jimmy Lube/aka 10 minute oil change once. They cocks left my oil engine cap off. Oil was splashed all over the underneath of my hood. Not to mention I had the oil pressure light on until I traded the car in. You got OWNED!!!

fishboy
11-05-2003, 12:55 PM
yeah you drove far didn't you?:) got your self the color you wanted though after all was said and done.

i agree with burn you should have them thoroughly test your car and pursue any action if necessary. i'd do this test at another location and send them the bill. i'm thinking you should be alright though. they only went a few feet and i don't think your car was completely out of oil or there would be a seriously huge puddle. it sounds like a trickle trail and a small puddle to me. my oil light has come on once a long time ago and my car is still fine. i was over 2 quarts low even. :)

BarracksSi
11-05-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by LASI02
I can't believe they would do that to a k20a2 . . . hint hint

Yeah, doesn't the shop know that they were working on an A2? ;) ;) ;) ;)

Shouldn't have even left the shop in the first place, though. Let us know if they accuse you of messing with it when you got home.

bobdobbs
11-05-2003, 04:26 PM
The problem with doing a compression test is the rings probably aren't bad NOW. But, instead of going bad at 160,000 miles, they're going to go bad at 90,000 miles, all because of their fuckup.

It isn't your burden to prove they damaged your engine. THEY RAN YOUR ENGINE WITH NO OIL IN IT. Period. If they did that to me, they'd have a letter from my lawyer in their mailbox the next day.