PDA

View Full Version : First mech issue with my car, not really mech I guess...

ep pilot
11-04-2003, 05:39 PM
Thats right, last week I replaced my LT Brake lamp for the second time, due to the fact it was burned out. Well I failed to mention, the very day I brought the car home new from the dealer, I instinctively pulled into an AutoZone to get some tire dressing & whilst backing out of my park stall, I see my driver side LT brake-lamp out??? Well I thought nothing of it and purchased a bulb, as It would have been dick of me to drive 62 miles make to the dealer for a bulb, and even worse caught driving my brand new car with a lamp out. Well the bulb I replaced that I just told you all about, You guessed It freaking thing is burned out again. I changed it at work, and checked it when I got home, still working, but..... anyone got any clues as to why I keep burnning out LT <---side only brake lamp bulbs?

My first guess tells me something is not grounded right in the back? is there anything I can check first? or adjust? as I know the dealer will give me a hard time to inspect the problem, as the lamp ain't burned out yet and it would be hard to isolate the issue.

-Ryan

bobdobbs
11-04-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by ep pilot
My first guess tells me something is not grounded right in the back? is there anything I can check first? or adjust? as I know the dealer will give me a hard time to inspect the problem, as the lamp ain't burned out yet and it would be hard to isolate the issue.

I don't think it's a ground. An over-voltage condition would be my guess. Why it would only affect that bulb, I don't know. Just for giggles, I'd pull the bulb and measure the voltage across the connector with somebody in the driver's seat with their foot on the brake and revving the engine slowly increasing the rpms while you watch the meter. If it goes much higher than 12V, that could be your problem.