PDA

View Full Version : Need some help plz...

LI03SI
11-06-2003, 01:33 PM
THANK YOU in advance to anyone who reads this and helps me, much appreciated.

OK, Here is the deal... I smacked my car up awhile ago... Like 2 months ago and I messed up the Front left corner, not bad, but not good either. Because I hit the corner It messed up the Light, bumper, fender and hood. Since its a unibody the frame had to bend a little, but It didnt look bad from what i saw.. just the bracket that holds the headlight looked like it was bent and the reinforcement bar had a small area (about 1 1/2 inches)that was scratched and bent a a little. SO to get to the point, I ordered a body kit for the car (figured since its messed up I might as well make it nicer) and then gave it to the auto body shopwho is supposed to be doing the work.

NOW here I am at least 6 weeks later maybe more and the car isnt done yet, all that is on is the rear bumper and the side skirts are "almost" on. So what Im here to ask is How Much Should This Cost Me In Labor????

This guy has been telling me next week for a month now and my F'ng car still isnt done. About 2 weeks ago he finally ordered a god damn fender and supposedly it was damaged and had to get another one which they didnt have for a few days.

So to get to the main point now, How Long does it take to sand/fit/paint Side skirts, rear bumper, fender, front bumper and a hood?

How many hours am I looking at in labor so I know what this guy actually did and didnt do? The hood is carbon fiber so no painting there.. and supposedly he gave the bumpers and side skirts a coating under them (rubber or something) so that rocks dont fly up and hit the inside, hence making the paint chip on the outside.

He is my neighbors brother-in-law so he was "giving me a deal" at $30 an hour on labor... But I dont think im gonna get a deal because this asshole is gonna take twice as fucking long, SO someone who is in the autobody business, has been in it, or knows anything about it PLEASE HELP ME. Give me an estimate to the best of your knowledge as to how long each of the given tasks take.

SORRY FOR BEING SO LONG AND THANKS FOR READING AND REPLYING.

esmith13
11-06-2003, 01:41 PM
I looked at a respectible body shop in my neighborhood (Philly, PA) for body kit install prices and they told me that 2 bumpers, 2 skirts and a wing would cost me about $1000 to prime, paint, and install. About $700 of that was prime/paint costs and about $300 to install the whole schabang...

two things to note tho...

1. $300 is prolly dirt cheap to install, cause they would make money off painting the parts too.

2. There are no Performance shops in Philly, so $1000 may be alot higher than some one in Cali. (for example) will tell you.

Dude, you should have gotton a time estimate before you gave up your car.... That was REAL stupid.... Seriously...

Eric

jdmsi
11-06-2003, 01:53 PM
you are looking at 800-1000

ULTRAMANIA
11-06-2003, 01:58 PM
hey w'sup man.. first of all, sorry about the crapp ass situation that you are in.. but hopefully i can help i little.. i was in a simliar situation as you over this past summer getting my CTR kit installed.. i had all the add ons (front and rear lip, and two side skirts) painted from another shop for a total of $500.. i dunno maybe thats a good deal, i thought so at the time.. anyways.. that should give you a rough estiment on how much that is going to cost.. but as for the bumpers.. you should NOT pay more then $250 per bumper.. that is sanding, painting and putting a clear coat on the bumper.. again this is $250 per bumper and that does not include labor..

as for labor in general.. $30 per hour is pretty damn cheap.. i got a decent deal for $50 per hour where i got my crap done... here's the thing though.. all i wanted was them to paint the JDM bumpers, (again that includes sanding off the orignal black paint, painting it the color i wanted and clear coating it.)and to put the lips on the new bumpers and as well as adding the side skirts on my car. that should not take tooo long, i was estimating a week or 2 at the max.. it took them a month to do.. and i was pretty pissed that i was carless for that long, and more worried that i was goign to get raped on the "labor" charges.. it turns out that they only charged me what they were suppose to charge me.. just for the labor alone on doing whatever on the car.. it was about 7 1/2 hours of labor total.. so you can do the math on that.. no waiting for parts or crap like that.. sooooo in your case.....

i dont think you should worry about them raping you on the labor charges... by them ordering parts for you and crap, that should not come out of labor charge.. and i don't know the whole situation but by my story you can guess what to expect..

i paid $500 for two side skirts, and two lips for the bumpers to get painted, another $500 for two JDM bumpers to get painted, and around $450 (7 1/2 hours at $50 per hour) for the total labor to put all the stuff on my car.. at the total of $1450.. i hope this helps you out.. and more importantly, hopefully your situation ends up at least to par without getting raped on the prices.

blueiedgod
11-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Dude, didn't you get a writen estimate before you left the car there? On a similar note, my CR-V was stolen last year and recovered in the south bronx. Long story short, the shop where it was being fixed gave me a writen estimate for the whole shebang and the time, 10 days. After 21 days they kept feeding BS that Air bags were not available still. I called my friend at the dealership in CT, was told air bags are available in 3 days anywhere in the country. Anyway, I took the car out, after a small battle with him, and sued the shop in small claims court (don't need lawyers) for $3000 (max in NY) for breach of contract. I won $2500. I hope the bastard learnt the lesson "DON'T MESS WITH PEOPLE'S HEAD, I may be Blonde but I AM NOT STUPID!!!!"
In the end it cost him over $3500, because he refused to pay, I had the sherif seize his account which tackled a ton of charges against him.

crex2nr
11-07-2003, 02:35 PM
to be honest, you should only pay around 1,0000 for everything. i work in the auto repair industry, especially body shops. a normal job should be no more than a week. as far as parts are concerned, ordering honda parts takes no more than 2-5 days depending on availablity and what not. so 2 weeks is more than enough time to get your car done. he is just putting it to the side for other things probably. i would tell him that im going to pick up the car the next day, and no matter what he says, go through it because it might light a fire under his ass, and either he gets it done, or you take it somewhere else without paying him.