PDA

View Full Version : Drilling for JDM sideskirts?

Jester
11-07-2003, 10:04 PM
ok... did a search and found no definate answer, how are people marking the holes for the clips that hold the sideskirt to the car? Also what is the bit size that people are using to drill?

513n179
11-08-2003, 12:37 PM
i wouldn't try to drill holes for the skirts... i've read that they hold up just fine without. besides, do you really wanna put holes in your car?

Jester
11-08-2003, 03:11 PM
yup!

Makross
11-09-2003, 08:39 PM
I drilled three holes in the bottom of each side and used doublesided tape to hold up the top end of the skirt

fsugatorbait
11-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Jester,
I had my sideskirts drilled. Took it to a body shop to do, im not gonna go anywhere near my car with a drill. I went the acrylic 3m auto body tape route and had a skirt actually fall off on me 3 hrs into a 24 hr road trip to fla, got to drive 3600 miles with two skirts sittin smack dab in the middle of my car, neeless to say not too impressed with the tape. Id highly recommed having them drilled.

Jester
11-12-2003, 04:57 PM
thanks for the info, you have confirmed my fear about the tape route and especially with the winters and such here...anyway is there any sort of gasket to keep the top of the skirt from rubbing on the car? Nothing came with the skirts but I'm just wondering if other people are using anything?

Mugen_EP
11-12-2003, 05:13 PM
Have had my side skirts on for 8 months now with double stick tape with no problems. Well my only problem was when someone tried to jack them and pulled up my drivers side. Still need to get that drivers side piece reattached by the body shop but the passenger side (which wasn't fucked with by the theif) is holding strong.

fsugatorbait
11-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Jester
thanks for the info, you have confirmed my fear about the tape route and especially with the winters and such here...anyway is there any sort of gasket to keep the top of the skirt from rubbing on the car? Nothing came with the skirts but I'm just wondering if other people are using anything?

The CTR skirts came with a rubber seal that goes the length on the top of the skirt.

Jester
11-12-2003, 06:29 PM
don't I feel like a fuckin retard!
yeah it's there, I didn't see it or bother to feel for it (black skirts)

Jester
11-12-2003, 06:30 PM
what steps did anyone take for rustproofing?
touchup paint, silicone etc???

Makross
11-12-2003, 06:41 PM
i used nail polish haha:smilem:

JaYdEeEm
11-13-2003, 12:10 PM
yeah i just got my sideskirts yesterday, and there at the body shop now getting painted. i was wondering, what do you guys suggest?? drill the skirts in and let the body shop do it? or just double stick tape it to the car??

oldschoolimport
11-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Jester
what steps did anyone take for rustproofing?
touchup paint, silicone etc??? silicone can actually make the rusting problem worse. use black 3m automotive windshield adhesive. it is made for automotive applications.

Mugen_EP
11-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by JaYdEeEm
yeah i just got my sideskirts yesterday, and there at the body shop now getting painted. i was wondering, what do you guys suggest?? drill the skirts in and let the body shop do it? or just double stick tape it to the car??

I would recommend having the body shop use their high quality double stick tape. Regular 3m that you can buy at a grocery store is not gonna hold.

JaYdEeEm
11-13-2003, 12:39 PM
oh so you think i should just double stick tape it to the car??

fsugatorbait
11-13-2003, 12:58 PM
id recommed drilling, but tony has had no problems with his double sided tape. You could always see what the body shop would recommed and then go from there. HTH

Jester
11-13-2003, 01:25 PM
I'm thinking about just drilling for one of the rear plugs (front being held by screw in fenderwell) and using tape on the rest...

anyone have a part # for the best tape to use?
I've seen the website and there are so many similar products and sizes of tapes available.

JaYdEeEm
11-13-2003, 06:37 PM
hmmm i see...i went to the body shop and they said they'll see what they can do. i heard that if you drill they have to take apart the panels inside the car in order to drill or something.

dustinhurley
11-14-2003, 01:42 PM
I had my skirts drilled and installed a couple months ago. Needless to say, no problems or regrets. As for the drill bit, I'm not sure. If you look at the clips, they aren't round. It is a + shape. My holes were drilled with a round bit, then hand filed to give the + shape. The clips then snapped in perfectly. The only thing you have to worry about is that the holes are drilled in the correct spot. It was tough for my body shop to make sure the guide marks for the holes were in perfect position. I believe they ended up making a big template out of paper and using that. And I'm not sure what they used for rust proofing. It was white and kinda chalky, that's all I know. Here are some pics:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/pe42ba92600dc8a59fe3f8d37ef1890da/fbdb1207.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/pfa8bc82485f26caca06c9eced1c3bb63/fbdb120b.jpg

JaYdEeEm
11-14-2003, 04:19 PM
thanks for the post and specifying it...but that looks like a lot of work to do..how much they charge you ???

hypnoj
11-16-2003, 07:54 AM
ya, I got some side skirts and one place quoted me $300 to paint and install them. Is that a good price?

JaYdEeEm
11-16-2003, 11:29 AM
eh? not bad i guess, mine is getting painted now and i'm paying $150 for both, but i dunno how much they're going to charge for install, i doubt it'd be an extra 150.

SiR_d1
01-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by JaYdEeEm
eh? not bad i guess, mine is getting painted now and i'm paying $150 for both, but i dunno how much they're going to charge for install, i doubt it'd be an extra 150.

So much did they charge you for the install, and did you drill them or not?

JaYdEeEm
01-17-2004, 12:20 AM
didn't get them to install them, i put them on. They're glued on nicely, looks like they are drilled on.

hypnoj
01-17-2004, 06:11 AM
just so everyone knows, I have yet to get my sideskirts installed. I ordered splitters for the front from a company and they were back ordered until last week. They've been shipped but I haven't received them in the mail yet. Once here I will have them put on.

My next question is... If you glued them on how much paint damage will that cause? I'm not so concerned having sideskirts drilled on, I expect them to be permanent fixtures, especially now that Honda is selling the new ones with sideskirts. It's all just an end result money issue, meaning what I will have to pay to repaint my car if the glue damages it. Do you think that will happen?

JaYdEeEm
01-17-2004, 09:48 AM
well, when you take off the sideskirts all you need to do is use an adehesive to get the glue off the car.

SiR_d1
01-17-2004, 09:53 AM
cool:D

I'm such a retard, I was probably the first Canadian member to have the CTR skirts but after realizing you would have to drill them I chickened out and sold them. If I had known you could of just glued it I never would have sold them. Who bought it off me agian here? can I buy it back?;)

fsugatorbait
01-17-2004, 02:57 PM
I dont know what everyones problem is with getting the skirts drilled on. If you bought the CTR or even an 04 si, there would have been holes for the skirts, so whats the difference adding the holes later? The body shop will apply a rust proof seal to the hole.

SiR_d1
01-17-2004, 03:18 PM
I dont plan on keeping my car for a long time, eventually its going to be past down to my brother or sold to a family member. When that time comes I plan to strip my car and sell all my mods including the sideskirts. If Im gonna pay $800CND for them I want to be able to have the option of re-selling them later but I won't be able to if I drill them.

Even if I were buying cheap fiberglass copies I still wouldn't want to drill them because it would probably cost twice as much to install

hypnoj
01-17-2004, 03:23 PM
Even though I'll probably still get mine mounted on, what type of glue did you use?

ULTRAMANIA
01-18-2004, 09:08 PM
5 months and going strong since ihad my sideskirts taped on. NO problems whatsoever.. drilling wholes into your car just sounds terriable.. i recommend using the tape. works well for me.

SiR_d1
01-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Yeah, Im almost positive I wont be drilling it

ep3hatchattack
01-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Black 3m tape is good for a car that may eventually go back to stock but otherwise you cant beat the stability of being drilled compared to stuck on..... thanks, dave

trk
02-28-2004, 07:06 PM
So I've chosen to tape mine... but I havent stuck them on yet. I put tape on the upper rear side skirt area and on each "clip" mounting spot on the body of the skirt. Hopefully this will hold? I also have the four clips (2 per side) for the bottom under car OEM holes. I am also going to put epoxy in the "taco" that attaches itself in two places to the metal undercar edge... Any pointers?... wish me luck

Si Death
02-28-2004, 07:54 PM
defn post pics when ur done!!!!:cool: :cool: