PDA

View Full Version : k20 Gone Wild...

k20hatch
11-08-2003, 02:40 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/jsalicru/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2003-07-27%2021.53.15%20-0700/Image-4E62A6F8C0B711D7.jpg
http://www.hybrid-racing.com/k20/Picture001.jpg
http://www.hybrid-racing.com/k20/Picture008.jpg

Dyno Run (http://www.hybrid-racing.com/k20/dynorun.wmv )

Pulling on a wrx (http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTc3MDMxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D )

Lost03si
11-08-2003, 02:49 PM
Holy fuk....Thats gonna rip up the damn road..

SoCaLep3
11-08-2003, 02:58 PM
check out the video http://www.hybrid-racing.com/k20/dynorun.wmv

Peking
11-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Wow, nice fit :D and I enjoyed the vid alot.

Civicvtec1ps
11-08-2003, 03:04 PM
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23747

k20hatch
11-08-2003, 03:08 PM
I had some wierd feeling it was gonna be a repost..oh well now everyone that didnt see it can! My bad fellas..

SoCaLep3
11-08-2003, 03:19 PM
lol my bad i dint see that dyno run link at the bottom

Peking
11-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by k20hatch
I had some wierd feeling it was gonna be a repost..oh well now everyone that didnt see it can! My bad fellas..

The link is relative, not really a repost to me :D

Zero Three Si
11-08-2003, 04:45 PM
I'm impressed!!

chubbychu
11-08-2003, 04:49 PM
this is a ctr motor with ITB on an eg? yike

Brettnyt
11-08-2003, 06:48 PM
DAMN! Thats awesome! The torque it has on the dyno is pretty sick! So cool... Why cant i pull on WRX's? :D

HokieSi
11-09-2003, 08:55 AM
Has anyone seen frame warping involving h22a's with these little tin cans known as eg's and ek's? If so its probably safe to assume the k-series engines will do the same thing. I'm thinking that is one reasons why honda decided to reinforce the frame in the ep and dc5 and in the process making it a heavier car.

eurosteez
11-10-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by HokieSi
Has anyone seen frame warping involving h22a's with these little tin cans known as eg's and ek's? If so its probably safe to assume the k-series engines will do the same thing. I'm thinking that is one reasons why honda decided to reinforce the frame in the ep and dc5 and in the process making it a heavier car.

Damn:eek: still badass though. I wanna see some 1/4 times!!!

Zero Three Si
11-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by eurosteez
Damn:eek: still badass though. I wanna see some 1/4 times!!!

I'm assuming his 1/4 times are like in the 13's.

RockEP_SS**
11-10-2003, 02:41 PM
DAYUM!!! I like the sound when it hits V-TEC! And those ITB'S are crazy!

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

Zero Three Si
11-10-2003, 02:55 PM
I just noticed those sound/video clips! AMAZING!!

yellerep3
11-10-2003, 04:51 PM
Dam arent you guys scared as freakin hell!!!!! We gotta figure out something better to swap inta ours, something seriuous.

bioevolve
11-10-2003, 06:10 PM
Yummmmmmmmm, (droolin):cool:
I was wondering how those TB's would do, where are the Dyno #'s?

audomatik
11-10-2003, 09:59 PM
did you guys notice all the check lights that were on... haha... sounded bad ass and he fuckin tore that wrx a new one, too bad he couldn't have embarassed him more

rs_1101
11-10-2003, 11:44 PM
i am scared. i am so scared its beyond understanding.. god help them if they figure out they can put a turbo a3 in there and put out even more power.

HokieSi
11-11-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by audomatik
did you guys notice all the check lights that were on... haha... sounded bad ass and he fuckin tore that wrx a new one, too bad he couldn't have embarassed him more

Looks like he was just barely ahead. I'm thinking that the k20a has too much torque for that little car. The gearing needs to be revised. I'm assuming he is using the ep3-r tranny too. Yea that combo was built for a car that weighs 2600lbs not 2100lbs. If he made the gears longer he could make the car much faster.

simann
11-11-2003, 10:08 AM
Hey K20 Hatch, whawt throttle bodies did you use? And is that a type-d motor with a Hondata Reflash? Vtec sounds like it engauges at 5200...:rolleyes: :D ;)

rs_1101
11-11-2003, 11:40 AM
its the k20a bro.. and i think those are the toda indivdual tb's

AntiReality
11-11-2003, 01:12 PM

That's not going to happen. If you do your research, the K series is actually LIGHTER than a B series.

eurosteez
11-11-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by AntiReality
That's not going to happen. If you do your research, the K series is actually LIGHTER than a B series.
Its not the weight that will do that. Its the Torque of the K that the frame couldn't handle

AntiReality
11-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Care to elaborate? If that were true, then wouldn't all the people running around with turbos have frame problems as well?

yellerep3
11-11-2003, 05:16 PM
anyone have an idea what we can swap inta ours, that'll hang now>?

HokieSi
11-11-2003, 05:35 PM
I don't know whether or not that will happen thats why I was asking whether or not anyone had seen frame warping/cracking with the h22a. You better believe that frames can twist, bend and crack though.

My '88 crx body started cracking right around the hatch area and it was causing water to leak in.

HokieSi
11-11-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by yellerep3
anyone have an idea what we can swap inta ours, that'll hang now>?

Yea that k24 w/ type-s head and JRSC :)

eurosteez
11-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Care to elaborate? If that were true, then wouldn't all the people running around with turbos have frame problems as well?

Well, I'll try :banana:
The only frame damage I've heard of was a hot-rod(57 chevy I believe) with a 700hp V8 that cracked the frame cuz of the massive amount of torque it had. Basically a 1/4 run cracked a part of the frame cuz it couldn't handle that amount of power being delivered and the tires couldn't spin out cuz they were so grippy.
I think this is unheard of in the import scene but I'm prolly wrong.
I just don't see how motor weight would damage a frame?
Care to elaborate?

yellerep3
11-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Yea that k24 w/ type-s head and JRSC :)

i dunno that might not cut it:o

AntiReality
11-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Well...I never said that weight would do anything to the frame, I was replying to someone else's statement. Anyways, its not like the K20 has a "massive" amount of torque anyways. It's a Honda engine for christ's sake. =P

civicSIracer
11-11-2003, 07:17 PM
OMG that is some INSANE video!!!!!
that car is crazy.. would like to see some more footage on that car.. maybe some specs.. and some other races .. that WRX got the banana on that one:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

yellerep3
11-11-2003, 07:18 PM
:'( 12 hondas later and i still miss the first one my eg:'(

HokieSi
11-12-2003, 11:42 AM
Well...I never said that weight would do anything to the frame, I was replying to someone else's statement. Anyways, its not like the K20 has a "massive" amount of torque anyways. It's a Honda engine for christ's sake. =P

You are right it is a Honda engine, it is a Honda engine that was designed for a capable chassis too. I'm sorry to say but those egs were spec'd out to handle a whopping 100hp 80ft-lbs torque (si) to the wheels. I can imagine it will take the power up to a certain point. I don't know that point and I really don't care. Eventually he will have performance and or structural related problems. Do you think that you can just magically swap in any performance motor and be done with it? The answer is no you can't. So, answer me this. Why does Honda even bother to reinforce the body of their performance cars and sacrifice weight?

I think chassis modifications are just something people over look in their interest of speed.

AntiReality
11-12-2003, 03:03 PM
You are right it is a Honda engine, it is a Honda engine that was designed for a capable chassis too. I'm sorry to say but those egs were spec'd out to handle a whopping 100hp 80ft-lbs torque (si) to the wheels. I can imagine it will take the power up to a certain point. I don't know that point and I really don't care. Eventually he will have performance and or structural related problems. Do you think that you can just magically swap in any performance motor and be done with it? The answer is no you can't. So, answer me this. Why does Honda even bother to reinforce the body of their performance cars and sacrifice weight?

I think chassis modifications are just something people over look in their interest of speed.

I do agree with you that chassis modification can be something that is easily overlooked. But IMO, saying that a "magical engine swap" will eventually somehow warp the chassis is kind of wrong. Yes it does have the potential to if you made that much power. But so far, I haven't heard of many street cars having that much power as to where that sorta things happen. Hell...ground zero motorsports has a 712whp DAILY DRIVEN street EK hatchback and it doesn't seem that they have chassis problems. Another case would be my friend's EG turbo GSR hatch, his car has been fine for over a year now, and he's even done a front end conversion to a 98-00 front (that conversion itself IMO would challenge the structural integrity of his frame since a lot of cutting and welding should be in involved, as far as I know).

note: My point isn't to argue numbers that'll break chassis(sp? plural). I'm saying that you'd have to make quite a huge number of HP and/or TQ to damage one, and I'm quite confident that a mere engine swap wouldn't affect it. And besides, if you were going for some wild HP or TQ number for drag racing, I think you'd be quite the idiot to not beef up other parts of the car (chassis included).

Why does Honda reinforce their cars instead of sacrificing weight? I can't tell you with confidence but I can give you my opinion. IMO, the reason for reinforcement is for (obviously) safety. You can't think running around on a (exaggeration here) papepclip thin frame is safe at all. Also, a stronger chassis helps improve the car overall, especially for such purposes as racing. I sure wouldn't want my chassis flexing around some crazy turn.

HokieSi
11-12-2003, 06:52 PM

Why does Honda reinforce their cars instead of sacrificing weight? I can't tell you with confidence but I can give you my opinion. IMO, the reason for reinforcement is for (obviously) safety. You can't think running around on a (exaggeration here) papepclip thin frame is safe at all. Also, a stronger chassis helps improve the car overall, especially for such purposes as racing. I sure wouldn't want my chassis flexing around some crazy turn.

You said it. Having a 712whp DAILY DRIVEN street EK hatchback is like having a super model for a wife but never bangin her. He won't have problem with it either unless he races it. But with 712whp he best have a roll cage not just a few welds and bars here and there. Also, I'd love to see this guy drive in the rain!

Honda provides their sporty cars with a beefer chassis because they know the cars handle abnormal amounts of force whether it be cornering force or the amount of torque the engine puts out.

Stiffer Chassis = Better Performance (don't you want better performance?)

yellerep3
11-12-2003, 08:38 PM
didnt vthe egs in japan come with b series motors, and i know the eg can handel a b18c5 wit no prob i think the only issue in terms of structual damage is the torque. I thin it could handle the k series motor without much problem, uess time and research will tell, cant help it wish i had an eg lying around now

AntiReality
11-12-2003, 08:54 PM
EGs in japan came with the B16a aka the torqueless wonder. And of course I agree w/ you Hokie, stiffer = better.

Edit: About that guy driving in the rain...he lives in oregon lol..so I'm sure he has to deal w/ it quite often.

Brettnyt
11-12-2003, 10:17 PM
EGs in japan came with the B16a aka the torqueless wonder. And of course I agree w/ you Hokie, stiffer = better.

Edit: About that guy driving in the rain...he lives in oregon lol..so I'm sure he has to deal w/ it quite often.

Make sure to check out our local chapter every once in a while so u can come to our next meet, whenever it is...

AntiReality
11-12-2003, 10:21 PM
Haha..I'll be sure to, I would've gone to some earlier ones, but work and stuff...but I'll try and show up to the next meet.