PDA

View Full Version : Good winter tires that still have great dry traction?

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
11-08-2003, 02:50 PM
EDIT:
*** Sorry I wasn't clear, I don't want "Winter Tires", I want All season tires that are good in the winter.

Well I'm on my 5th set of wheels after only 1 yr. w/ my ep.
I think I have a problem...LOL.
I just traded my 15" Concept Pro's/Azenis for some stock alloys + cash today, actually about an hour ago...LOL...and I'm already thinking of getting set number 6.
I can't beleive I didn't remember how truly crappy the stock Michelin tires are.
They have horrible dry weather traction even being BRAND NEW.
Even though winter's coming up SOON (low of 26 degrees for tonight) I think I might have to ditch these, or at least swap out the tires for something better.

So here's my question:

What is a good all around tire that will perform well in the horrible winter weather of the NorthEast, while maintaining EXCELLENT dry weather traction. I guess I was spoiled running on the Azenis because their dry weather traction is simply UNREAL, though i'm sure they suck in the snow.

Let's hear some input from the Canadians/Alaskans.

TIA

---Adam---

Back to stock:

Civicvtec1ps
11-08-2003, 03:05 PM
Falken ziex 512. m+s Tires
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15050

bobdobbs
11-08-2003, 03:17 PM
Continental ContiExtremeContacts:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiExtremeContact

Great do-it-all tire. I have them on my car.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
11-08-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Continental ContiExtremeContacts:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiExtremeContact

Great do-it-all tire. I have them on my car.

These seem to have gotten some really good reviews.
What size do you have, i'm looking at 205/55-15.
Have you personally driven them in the snow? How are they?
The tread pattern almost looks like a snow tire in a way so they're probably pretty good for that.
Now as far as dry traction is concerned (a huge factor when i choose a tire) how are they?
I'm more concerned with grip during acceleration as opposed to cornering hard.
For instance, if youre creeping at say 10mph in 1st and punch it (w/o getting on the clutch) will they break loose?
How's the tread wear been for ya?

bobdobbs
11-08-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
These seem to have gotten some really good reviews.
What size do you have, i'm looking at 205/55-15.
Have you personally driven them in the snow? How are they?
The tread pattern almost looks like a snow tire in a way so they're probably pretty good for that.
Now as far as dry traction is concerned (a huge factor when i choose a tire) how are they?
I'm more concerned with grip during acceleration as opposed to cornering hard.
For instance, if youre creeping at say 10mph in 1st and punch it (w/o getting on the clutch) will they break loose?
How's the tread wear been for ya?
I have them in 205/55-VR15 and I have about 2000 miles on them. I've never driven them in snow and probably never will. I've driven them in rain and they were great. Grip felt almost as good as on dry. On dry, I've yet to reach their limits laterally, even with some very fast driving through some mountain roads. They howl only when they're really pushed. They're very quiet all other times. You can still get them to break-away in 1st, but I doubt it if you're going 10 mph, and the tires are warmed up.

I bought them because I wanted a high-performance tire that was still quiet and these seemed to be the best compromise. I will likely buy them again, unless something better comes out. Here's a pic I took right now, to give you an idea what they look like on-car:

chubbychu
11-08-2003, 04:59 PM
dang bob...you are so helpful. this is what i have been looking for for the longest time....do you think these are better than potenza s03?

or better than parada spec 2 or avs es100

and whats this i hear about rolling resistance on these tires?

bobdobbs
11-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
dang bob...you are so helpful. this is what i have been looking for for the longest time....do you think these are better than potenza s03?

or better than parada spec 2 or avs es100

It depends what you mean by "better". The Contis are quieter and better in the wet and snow and will probably last longer than all those tires. I think they're also cheaper. All those tires you mention will have better dry performance.

and whats this i hear about rolling resistance on these tires?
Which? The Contis? I dunno. They seem to roll fine. Have you heard they have high rolling resistance?

The Contis are a GREAT all-around tire, much better in every way than the stock tires. They're not the absolute BEST at anything, but they do everything very well.

chubbychu
11-08-2003, 10:52 PM
It depends what you mean by "better". The Contis are quieter and better in the wet and snow and will probably last longer than all those tires. I think they're also cheaper. All those tires you mention will have better dry performance.

Which? The Contis? I dunno. They seem to roll fine. Have you heard they have high rolling resistance?

The Contis are a GREAT all-around tire, much better in every way than the stock tires. They're not the absolute BEST at anything, but they do everything very well.

yea...those other tires are probably more season/performance specific

but, if they last longer than those ones and perform better than stock and dont cost so much $$...than im sold

and yes. on the bottom half of the link you gave. the 2nd response describes "rolling resistance"

chubbychu
11-08-2003, 11:17 PM
also, do you get "flat spots?"

bobdobbs
11-08-2003, 11:36 PM
also, do you get "flat spots?"
I haven't noticed any.

bobdobbs
11-08-2003, 11:47 PM
and yes. on the bottom half of the link you gave. the 2nd response describes "rolling resistance"
Hmmm... I hadn't even read those reviews. It's hard for me to confirm or deny his claim that they have high rolling resistance, since I got them just a couple weeks after I got my car. Probably any sticky tire is going to have more than average rolling resistance. They definitely don't feel like an off-road nobby, if that's what you're worried about. The chart on this page helped me make my decision:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/uhpas.jsp

The Contis are #2 and I would have loved to get the Pirellis, but they aren't available in 205/55-15.

chubbychu
11-08-2003, 11:48 PM
well, i just went to tirerack and did some research,

yoko avs db s2 are pretty good.

Kuhmo Exsta hp4 716 are very cheap and seem to be pretty good for the price

and the turanza ls-z are very expensive but nice.

bobdobbs
11-09-2003, 12:05 AM
The Yokos are pretty comparable to the Contis, but they're not available in 205/55-15. The other two tires you mention are not as performance oriented. i.e., they're touring tires (H-rated, where the Contis are V-rated).

chubbychu
11-09-2003, 12:19 AM
all 3 of the tires i mentioned and the contis are better than stock right?!

im just gonna be cheap and go for the 30 dollar kuhmos.

but maybe next time ill get the contis or the avs db s2. thanks bobdobbs

bobdobbs
11-09-2003, 12:33 AM
all 3 of the tires i mentioned and the contis are better than stock right?!

im just gonna be cheap and go for the 30 dollar kuhmos.

but maybe next time ill get the contis or the avs db s2. thanks bobdobbs
The Kuhmos are going to be comparable to stock tires. They're both in the same category. The Kuhmos will be slightly better, but you're going to be stuck at 195 width, so why bother? If you just don't have the cash for better tires, go for it and let us know how you like them. But, the Contis will be much better at everything, and are worth the extra $$$. ;)

trk
11-09-2003, 09:24 AM
EDIT:
*** Sorry I wasn't clear, I don't want "Winter Tires", I want All season tires that are good in the winter.

Well I'm on my 5th set of wheels after only 1 yr. w/ my ep.
I think I have a problem...LOL.
I just traded my 15" Concept Pro's/Azenis for some stock alloys + cash today, actually about an hour ago...LOL...and I'm already thinking of getting set number 6.
I can't beleive I didn't remember how truly crappy the stock Michelin tires are.
They have horrible dry weather traction even being BRAND NEW.
Even though winter's coming up SOON (low of 26 degrees for tonight) I think I might have to ditch these, or at least swap out the tires for something better.

So here's my question:

What is a good all around tire that will perform well in the horrible winter weather of the NorthEast, while maintaining EXCELLENT dry weather traction. I guess I was spoiled running on the Azenis because their dry weather traction is simply UNREAL, though i'm sure they suck in the snow.

TIA

---Adam---

Back to stock:

im confused? What happened to your Forrester 2.5XT?

Loudpedal
11-09-2003, 10:18 AM
EDIT:

So here's my question:

TIA

---Adam---

Back to stock:

I understand what you you are looking for, however, it's the equivalent to asking for a brand of beer that tastes good when warm.

Not very many a/s tires are worth a squirt of piss in the winter. What makes a tire good in the dry makes it crap in the winter, and visa versa. In short, you can't get a single tire that will make you happy for year round motoring (in climes that experience winter and below freezing temps. especially) The Nokian WR tries to be that. http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm

Yokohama AVID's currently seem to be a popular choice in Canada for those who must run a/s tires.

My Canadian input however is to get a set of winters and a set of summers. Why compromise grip in any season when for a couple of hundred bucks you can get the best in both seasons.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
11-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by trk
im confused? What happened to your Forrester 2.5XT?

haha, i had that car for a total of 4 days...
dealership tried playing games with my payment so i gave it back...
i wasn't "in love" with it so i didnt put up a stink...

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
11-09-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Loudpedal
I understand what you you are looking for, however, it's the equivalent to asking for a brand of beer that tastes good when warm.

Not very many a/s tires are worth a squirt of piss in the winter. What makes a tire good in the dry makes it crap in the winter, and visa versa. In short, you can't get a single tire that will make you happy for year round motoring (in climes that experience winter and below freezing temps. especially) The Nokian WR tries to be that. http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm

Yokohama AVID's currently seem to be a popular choice in Canada for those who must run a/s tires.

My Canadian input however is to get a set of winters and a set of summers. Why compromise grip in any season when for a couple of hundred bucks you can get the best in both seasons.

I know i'm not going to get a tire that is the best at everything, what i'm asking for is a great dry traction tire that is good in the snow because we're supposed to get a bad winter. Just remember, I usually change wheels every 2-3 months so they'll prolly be gone before summer gets here anyway! I'm leaning toward the Continentals right now.

JLannoo
11-09-2003, 05:31 PM
well, i just went to tirerack and did some research,

Kuhmo Exsta hp4 716 are very cheap and seem to be pretty good for the price

I was looking at these as well. As I'm going to need new tires soon.
I was actually looking at them on the discount tire site and they list this size 205/60-15 as a plus Zero size compared to the stock size of 195/60-15.

Would that size work ok on the EP? would it throw the speedo way off?
I like that its a little wider but that makes it taller as well, correct?

icegrill
11-09-2003, 07:28 PM
After we had our first shitty roads I just bought some blizzaks mounted on steels from the tirerack. $525 shipped they are really good on ice, decent in snow and pretty soft on dry. If you live anywhere with short bursts of freezing snow/sleet/rain I highly reccommend these tires. I was originally going to get new all season performance dunlop sp5000's or falken azenis st-512's but decided to just get what I really need for safe winter travel. :'( Oh well I hook it up with really sticky rubber in the spring.

chubbychu
11-09-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by JLannoo
I was looking at these as well. As I'm going to need new tires soon.
I was actually looking at them on the discount tire site and they list this size 205/60-15 as a plus Zero size compared to the stock size of 195/60-15.

yea i was also kinda wondering if we could get one size bigger

bobdobbs
11-10-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by JLannoo
You could go with that size. It's about 0.5 inch, or 2% taller, which isn't much at all. It's not ideal, but it's not terrible.

JLannoo
11-10-2003, 03:48 PM
You could go with that size. It's about 0.5 inch, or 2% taller, which isn't much at all. It's not ideal, but it's not terrible.

Thank you

chubbychu
11-10-2003, 05:59 PM
man...just venting a little. but big-o-tires suck. well not big o in general but this one salesperson i got (actually the manager there is SO nice). but anyways i spent like 10 hours researching my most compatible tire..and when i asked this particular guy he wasnt even open to the thought of those tires i suggested..instead he basically siad my tires are crap and threw the "get this tire" pitch at me. ::sigh::: screw you big o the only thing i need you for is rotating. im getting them from tirerack

civicracer1128
11-10-2003, 10:54 PM
hey adam. im LOVIN the wheels and even more the tires. they are awsome in the dry and i imagine not too bad in the wet but snow...ill post my wrecked ep pics when the time comes;) . but seriously, i wouldnt go with all out snow tires or anything. my suggestion is kumho 711s or the equivalent of another brand. i used em and they were just fine in every condition. think about it this way, if the road hasnt been plowed you might as well be on the falkens cause it wont matter. you hate the stock stock tires for obvious reasons....and the falkens are the other extreme. so sit somewhere half way. i liked my 711s and i also like my 712s and toyo fz4s. i used my paradas in the snow and they sucked about how id imagine the falkens do but they did get me home. ive also tried nankang but they have the shittiest sidewalls of any tire EVER....even worse than paradas. i know this now after using the falkens. so basically id try to compromise half way if i were you. ive had 12 sets wheels over the last 4 years and 3 cars(we have similar problems) and most the tires were fine in the snow. just remember snow driving isnt something that you have to do ALL the time. so dont punish yourself year around for that one time is snows a foot and you dont drive anyway.