PDA

View Full Version : Help the Turbo Noob

LsVtecStolen
11-08-2003, 04:25 PM
I am going to get a Greddy Turbo kit this winter and put it on in the spring time. Stupid NJ weather is preventing me from boosting early.

I was wondering how hard the Greddy turbo install is? I have two friends, one is an ASE certified mechanic, but only in brakes and steering, and the other is attending an auto mechanics school. Would I be better off spending the money and having a professional performance shop install it?

Thanks for you help guys..

SilVic
11-11-2003, 11:54 PM
If you do it yourself, you know where the problem is and where/how to fix it. I read about the Greddy kit and it is easiest out of all the others because no drilling in oil pan for oil return line, etc. The only time consuming part is wiring/sautering ecu together. It should take about 4-5 hours, but just set a whole day for checking over after installation. Oh yeah, if any of your friends that did a turbo install before, ask them. They'd know what to expect or ask a fellow EPhatch member to come down and help out.

K-Series
11-12-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by SilVic
If you do it yourself, you know where the problem is and where/how to fix it. I read about the Greddy kit and it is easiest out of all the others because no drilling in oil pan for oil return line, etc. The only time consuming part is wiring/sautering ecu together. It should take about 4-5 hours, but just set a whole day for checking over after installation. Oh yeah, if any of your friends that did a turbo install before, ask them. They'd know what to expect or ask a fellow EPhatch member to come down and help out.

You might be thinking of a return FUEL line, but you still have to tap the oil pan and run a line to the turbo. You have to replace the injectors, install the manifold, turbo, wiring, intercooler piping if you're getting that.

No way it's 4 to 5 hours for a novice. I'd say a weekend easy.

LsVtecStolen
11-12-2003, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.. I'll most likely take it to a shop to do the turbo install.:cool:

bgsteve523
11-12-2003, 06:41 PM
I was wondering where in NJ you are? Im in centeral Highlands NJ to be exact. I was also wondering why you have to wait untill the spring for the turbo? Is it bad for a turbo in the winter and one last thing bro do you know of any good shops that can install a turbo in NJ? Thanks
Steve O

esmith13
11-12-2003, 07:58 PM
Sparks Auto Performance
5321 rt 42 South
turnersville, NJ (Blackwood)
1-856-228-6801

Ask for Harry. Tell him Eric Smith sent ya.

He installed my Cybernation Stage I kit. It's the most complicated installation of any of the available turbo kits and he did the whole job for $600. That included electronics, guages, soldering, trimming the bumper for the intercooler, oil pan tap, fuel return, guages... I MEAN EVERYTHING (including mounting my S-AFC in my dash under the stereo)!!

He's a great guy and builds turbo'd civics ALL THE TIME.

I HIGHLY recommend him!!!

Lemme know if ya go there ;)

Eric

LsVtecStolen
11-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by bgsteve523
I was wondering where in NJ you are? Im in centeral Highlands NJ to be exact. I was also wondering why you have to wait untill the spring for the turbo? Is it bad for a turbo in the winter and one last thing bro do you know of any good shops that can install a turbo in NJ? Thanks
Steve O

I live in Clifton.. thats up north, Passsaic County. I'm waiting to do the turbo install in the spring because I don't have all the money right now, and I hate driving in the winter.. If I installed it now, I'd probably kill myself.

Originally posted by esmith13
He installed my Cybernation Stage I kit. It's the most complicated installation of any of the available turbo kits and he did the whole job for $600. That included electronics, guages, soldering, trimming the bumper for the intercooler, oil pan tap, fuel return, guages... I MEAN EVERYTHING (including mounting my S-AFC in my dash under the stereo)!!

Thanks for the recommendation dood.. I'll probably most likey be giving them a call February/March.

Also, what other parts would you recommend getting along with the turbo kit first.. boost controller, BOV, turbo timer?

Sorry for the stupid question.. I don't know much about turbos
:confused:

Thanks..

esmith13
11-13-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by LsVtecStolen
Thanks for the recommendation dood.. I'll probably most likey be giving them a call February/March.

Also, what other parts would you recommend getting along with the turbo kit first.. boost controller, BOV, turbo timer?

Sorry for the stupid question.. I don't know much about turbos
:confused:

Thanks..

Hmmm.... accessories, accessories.....

Well, if the kit don't come with a BOV, get a different kit ;) that's an essential piece to make it all work correctly and last a long time...

Next, I would say a big brake kit ;)
Turbo timer is nice, but technically not necissary -- I'm just lazy ;)
Boost controller is a good idea, but i would think you don't need one if you 6psi or under. I'm runnin 9psi now on stock internals without one... If your boost spikes on the greddy kit, you'll still hit lower psi that I run daily, so you fine without one.
From what I understand you don't get guages with the kit.
Get yourself an A/F guage and a boost guage. If you REALLY wanna go all out get an EGT guage too (Exhaust Gas Temp) and or a water Temp guage. With the CN kit I have A/F guage and Boost guage are used in the tuning process to make sure you don't blow the car up... Their really important, not just for showing off...
Aside from that I would say to start saving for Rev Hard's upgrade to the greddy kit -- The add on Intercooler, since greddy has none. You'll get ALOT more HP out of the car on the same boost level just by adding it -- and you WILL get addicted to boost and want MORE :)

Good luck pinchin the pennies to get it, you won't regret the cost at all once you drive it ;)

Eric

bgsteve523
11-13-2003, 03:18 PM
Hey thanks for the info bro where in NJ is that shop at and do you have a phone number? I am in Highlands by sandy hook and sea side about how far is it from there if you know? I was also wondering if you had your car dyno to see how much whp you are running with 9psi I always thought that all of the kits for our cars ran about 7psi.
Thanks,
Steve O

esmith13
11-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Sparks Auto Performance
5321 rt 42 South
turnersville, NJ (Blackwood)
1-856-228-6801

no dyno yet... Hopefully before Xmas.
Kit is meant to run @ 7.5 psi.
Wastgate controls boost. It comes with a 9psi spring
and you can adjust it 1.5psi each way.

I just left mine @ 9psi ;)
Stock block has been proven to hold 12-15psi with no upgrades

Steve dyno'd @ 262 WHP @ 7.5-8.0psi... I'm hopin for about 280WHP between the 9psi and my catback...

We'll see soon

Eric

bgsteve523
11-13-2003, 05:48 PM
Hey thanks for the info Eric! I am going to save that info and as soon as I have enough money I am going to get my kit and drop down to that shop. I am glad to know that he can install a CN kit I was under the impression that the guys at CN in FA were the only ones who could do it. We should try to get a NJ meet together sometime should be cool. I just need to start hooking up my car.
Thanks again,
Steve O

esmith13
11-13-2003, 06:19 PM
you could repay me by comming to the ATCO track meet tomorrow... 10-15 EPs and counting!!!

Read the Thread here

Click Me (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21867)

Eric

LsVtecStolen
11-13-2003, 07:51 PM
esmith13 , dood.. your awsome:cool: Thanks for all the help!

All your talk about boosting is making me want to max out my credit cards right now!

Wish I could make it to the ATCO meet, I would love to see your car.

esmith13
11-13-2003, 07:57 PM
no prob. dude., Thanks...

Just show up for an hour or so and hang out with us, or meet us when the track closes for dinner!!

Track is open till 11pm tomorrow!! ;)

If you want I'll give u my cell and you can call and see where we are when your free ;)

Eric