PDA

View Full Version : How will the leather wheel age?

snubnose
11-09-2003, 04:06 PM
I'm wondering if our leather steering wheel will improve with age and take on the patina of finely aged and cared for leather.

I'm reading about how BMW 3 series owners who ordered the high performance package regret getting the alcantara seats and steering wheel that come with that option. They wish they got the leather steering wheel and shifter that comes with the plain 3 series BMW.

crex2nr
11-09-2003, 05:21 PM
just to let you know, as leather ages, with the amount of grip applied, and persperation from your hands, over time it will become shiny and depending on how tight you grip it, it could dry and eventually tear. just clean it every couple of months or so and remember no armour all. i would recommend lexol cleaner and conditioner.

TheMutt
11-09-2003, 06:01 PM
Wonder if the oil/grease remover kinda like they use for paint prep would hurt the wheel?

icegrill
11-09-2003, 07:21 PM
I thought of the same thing. Use lexol leather cleaner and conditioner periodicaly and you won't have anything to worry about. The oils from your hands eventually lead to drying of the leather so just make sure to clean and condition it every month or so depending.;)

raiyo
11-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Where could I find those Lexol cleaner and conditioner? At my local Kragen or something? Will the product leave a greasy and slippery feel?

icegrill
11-09-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by raiyo
Where could I find those Lexol cleaner and conditioner? At my local Kragen or something? Will the product leave a greasy and slippery feel?

Ace hardware or other hardware type stores. Negative on the slippery feel. The stuff is sweet. Trust me.

yellerep3
11-10-2003, 02:09 AM
mine is cracking andi used lexol, probably gonna just get a sparco wheel or something.

civicSIracer
11-10-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by yellerep3
mine is cracking andi used lexol, probably gonna just get a sparco wheel or something.

why not bitch to honda?

yellerep3
11-10-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by civicSIracer
why not bitch to honda?

thats a good idea