PDA

View Full Version : ep3 owners

Ep3_kid
11-09-2003, 06:52 PM
hey.. why is everybody getting rid of their cars?? " im trading in my ep".... "i sold my ep and these are the parts i've got left from it"
why???

02civicSI
11-09-2003, 06:58 PM
not me...even if the type-r comes out i will still keep mine but that is because i am going to put a k20a in mine and i will be modding it anyways so whats the sense in getting a type-r. just my .02

civicSIracer
11-09-2003, 07:18 PM
sellouts

thats why

BarracksSi
11-09-2003, 07:23 PM
It's because it's newsworthy to say that you're trading or selling your EP. It's kinda boring to read a post that says, "Still have my EP."

Look at the size of the threads of drivers who love their EPs, though. People will always sell their cars, but be happy -- there are plenty here who love theirs.

IceD out N CALI
11-09-2003, 07:48 PM
ep is a niche car, that might have something to do with it. its a type of car that people will probably get rid of realtively quick. i remember a dude on here selling his car after like 3 weeks. I guess the minivan jokes got to him:confused: j/k

ryanjennings
11-09-2003, 08:04 PM
i wouldnt come to this forum if it wasnt for all the oldschoolers :D

ep pilot, and all the smart ppl :D

Zero Three Si
11-09-2003, 10:23 PM
I'll be keeping mine at least until 2008. That's when she'll be paid off. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

RiceCzechs
11-10-2003, 07:12 AM
To be honest, if I could dump mine (I'm leasing) in a vaguely cost-efficient manner, I probably would consider it. Don't get me wrong... there are a lot of great things about the EP - Driving position (shifter/wheel/seats/pedal placement), novelty (rareness), rear-seat space (I have a 9-year old that plays hockey), and as yet *knock on wood*, I've had no problems with the car or the dealer. That said, it appears that Honda is largely falling behind in the hot hatch market, and some of the Si's charms wear seriously thin after a while if you don't throw money at it (suspension, tires, etc.). Granted, I knew all of this going in to the purchase, and I don't regret it exactly, but there are are a growing number of more and more compelling products from other companies that, at least from a performance standpoint, are starting to make the Si look amateurish. That's the way I see it.

Additionally, quite often people's needs change, or their financial picture changes. Si's are often owned by younger enthusiasts, who are commonly either a) Financially volatile in a negative sense ("I need to sell my car, the payments are killing me!"), or b) Rising in their young careers, and with more $$$ comes the desire to have more toys in their hobby of choice(hence the "I'm getting a WRX/EVO/S200!" posts). I think that's normal... it isn't like we're a bunch of empty-nester retirees buying Thunderbirds, y'know?

Anyway, just my .02 cents.

Gasp23
11-10-2003, 08:02 AM
I think of of the things with "selling my car" "traded my ep3 for..." is because this site is only dedicated to the EP3 which is only one car so people sometimes change their minds and such.

I won't be selling/trading my car in a looooooong time. I want to show my childrens' childrens what a car looked back in the 2000's

BlackNRedSi
11-10-2003, 08:04 AM
Who knows, people do rash things all the time...

my opinion is...

did u all (that want to trade in your ep) actually test drive it when you went to buy it?! I dont know maybe its me, but when i buy something like a BRAND NEW CAR i dont go selling it, or trading it until its no longer moveable or it NEEDS to be sold...

owell the people that SELL their ep and state it on this site will be replaced by others that buy those sold eps! :)

Eric

blackyEP3
11-10-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
I'll be keeping mine at least until 2008. That's when she'll be paid off. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We are in the same boat! It better last me till 2008!!!!

Finger
11-10-2003, 08:21 AM
And we are seeing more and more threads "I bought a used ep!!" so these are not lost. Chances are the new owners will come around here. It keeps these forums fresh :D

Finger
11-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by RiceCzechs
... are starting to make the Si look amateurish. ...

You're right about this one, when a corolla is announced with a 180hp motor, it's kinda a slap in the face :'(

I won't get rid of my car anytime soon, but it will piss me off seeing that corolla.

blacksihatch
11-10-2003, 08:57 AM
I almost sold mine, cuz I wanted something cheaper, but since I already invested $2500 down and have made 10 $266 a month payments and the fact the highest offer I got was $13K I decided to get out of my lease and buy it for much the same the month. There not a bad car, but a lot of people still don't like the look. I have had more Focus comments about my car then I can count, but I like the car and now plan on keeping it for at least a few more years.

Z26
11-10-2003, 09:36 AM
I will only keep my SI for a couple more years. I love the car but need something with more funk in the trunk. I have had my eye on a S2000,STI,350Z or RX-8. All could be had for around 30k. I hope honda will come out with a hotter accord coupe that I could get.

k20hatch
11-10-2003, 09:40 AM
Alot of the people who sold there si's i have spoken to were just the people who said theres no parts for our cars...Well no shit it will take some time to come out with them parts...and when they come out there will just tons just like every other civic made. And on the issue about if the type-r came..Id still keep the si, mod the engine, and pull up to one of them type-r's and have my way with it..Now wouldnt that be fun!!!!!! :D

BarracksSi
11-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by k20hatch
Alot of the people who sold there si's i have spoken to were just the people who said theres no parts for our cars...Well no shit it will take some time to come out with them parts...and when they come out there will just tons just like every other civic made.

No kidding... Nobody can convince me that 7-10 years ago the aftermarket for EGs, EKs, and Preludes was even half the size that it is now. The K series is going to do just fine, and I'll even believe what Honda Tuning had to say about the engine.

And, yeah, if the CTR comes to the US, I'll keep my Si, and maybe start swapping parts into it while keeping its sleeper status, just like BMW owners who have M-series or Alpina cars with no fancy wheels, bodywork, or badges. It's one thing to show off what you've got -- but I prefer to keep the secret to myself. ;)

Ep3_kid
11-10-2003, 01:53 PM
i love my car.. and it was kinda weird looking all those posts about "getting rid of my car", now i see that there are a lot of people like me out there... i'll keep my car at least 4 years.. and if i modify it a lot.. i'll keep it for the rest of my life.. lol.. it's my first car (own car) and it would be cool showing it to my children.... they will love it... ok ok.. too much fantasy..

eurosteez
11-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Gasp23

I won't be selling/trading my car in a looooooong time. I want to show my childrens' childrens what a car looked back in the 2000's

LOL I've always thought about that too.

I'm keeping my car forever. I wanna turbo the a3 when warranty runs out. When the turbo a3 is dust, its time for a k20a :smilem:
Hopefully k20's are still around in 10 years:confused: :banana:

Zero Three Si
11-10-2003, 02:21 PM
I take that back...I might sell my car in 2 years. I figure in two years I'll only owe like 13,000 for my car. Assuming that the EP keeps it's value and I can sell it for 13,000 and break even on the car....I might do that.

enecks
11-10-2003, 04:45 PM
If the EP were rear-wheel drive, I would never want another car. As it stands, though, I'd like to get a Lotus Elise once the EP is paid off.

fishboy
11-10-2003, 06:24 PM
because the ep just isn't what they want anymore. maybe they want something faster or with 4 doors? AWD turbo maybe? i hate my car. :(

siver-SI
11-10-2003, 09:52 PM
I think it is because it is taking so long for mods to come out for are car. I bet there were a lot of people on this board that wanted to get modding fast and I car is just taking for ever. Biggest example is shocks.

FlatFour
11-11-2003, 02:44 PM
Wow, I seriously did consider on trading my WRX with an 04 EP next March. Now here I am reading about some people trading their EP for another car, maybe to a Turbo AWD. Bought the WRX Wagon for a future family but since my fiancee decided to get the Matrix **flame suit on** I figured we wont be needing another wagon, my wagon. So, I said to myself, I need to find a coupe thats around $18K and make less payment than my wagon. ($422/mo X 60tabs @ 3.99%apr and a $500 down)I was talking to my friend who owns one and an avid member of this Forum, all day yesterday drooling on a 2004 Vivid Blue EP (an equivalent of WRB color on Subarus) but after asking my fiancee with her opinion, she said NO! With a big N.O. and looked/sounded so shocked :eek: Now, after readin thru this thread, I am more convinced than ever that I wont be getting an EP, but I really like the 2004 with factory underspoiler.

And yes, it seems like aftermarket response is really slow for EP. That could be one of the reasons why. Yes, the EGs and early Hondas back then were on the same boat as EP now. But you have to look at the size of the aftermarket industry right about now. There should be no excuse why they cant expedite R&D for aftermarket parts for your EP. Heck, even WRX and EVO had parts available within 6 months of their release. Maybe aftermarket manufacturers are eyeing on a different car model instead of the EP.

Just a thought...goodluck EP tuners. :cool:

Ep3_kid
11-11-2003, 04:01 PM
well.. may be you should check this out.. you may change your mind again about the wrx ;) ;)

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTc3MDMxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

andy
11-11-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by FlatFour
Wow, I seriously did consider on trading my WRX with an 04 EP next March. Now here I am reading about some people trading their EP for another car, maybe to a Turbo AWD. Bought the WRX Wagon for a future family but since my fiancee decided to get the Matrix **flame suit on** I figured we wont be needing another wagon, my wagon. So, I said to myself, I need to find a coupe thats around $18K and make less payment than my wagon. ($422/mo X 60tabs @ 3.99%apr and a $500 down)I was talking to my friend who owns one and an avid member of this Forum, all day yesterday drooling on a 2004 Vivid Blue EP (an equivalent of WRB color on Subarus) but after asking my fiancee with her opinion, she said NO! With a big N.O. and looked/sounded so shocked :eek: Now, after readin thru this thread, I am more convinced than ever that I wont be getting an EP, but I really like the 2004 with factory underspoiler.

And yes, it seems like aftermarket response is really slow for EP. That could be one of the reasons why. Yes, the EGs and early Hondas back then were on the same boat as EP now. But you have to look at the size of the aftermarket industry right about now. There should be no excuse why they cant expedite R&D for aftermarket parts for your EP. Heck, even WRX and EVO had parts available within 6 months of their release. Maybe aftermarket manufacturers are eyeing on a different car model instead of the EP.

Just a thought...goodluck EP tuners. :cool:

FlatFour, when I saw your username I figured you'd have a boxer engine...you make it over from nasioc?
Anyway, I traded my WRX for the EP3 - mainly for the cost, as you
mentioned. I can't really say I'm dissapointed in any way with the
car - sure it could be faster, but if straight line speed was all I
wanted, I'd be driving an older V8. In time, we'll get more parts
for these Si's - I'm trying to spend less on my car anyway, so for
me it works out okay (even though I say that, I'm probably going to
order something in the next week...heh).

FlatFour
11-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Ep3_kid
well.. may be you should check this out.. you may change your mind again about the wrx ;) ;)

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTc3MDMxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D Is this the same reason why most EP owners tries to rev at me on the street?! :rolleyes: anyway, Im not looking to be fast, its more of convenience. just like what andy said, "but if straight line speed was all I wanted, I'd be driving an older V8." ;)

you got it exactly right andy

But anyway, I love the Vivid Blue EP :cool:

andy, Im a member of NASIOC as well but dont post too much. I only post whenever I have a question, but search function always beat me to it. I really wanted to trade my WRX with the EP but the payment difference would only be $100.00/mo plus my fiancee reminded me that she will not be the only one driving our kid to and from anywhere. So she said, stick with a sedan or my wagon.

I really hate my tranny...