PDA

View Full Version : use base rsx oil filter???

2fastcivic
09-12-2002, 03:00 PM
should i use the base rsx oil filter? i went to honda today and asked for a oil filter and they gave me the big normal filters. so i walked out of there. is 2000 miles too early for an oil change?

02blksi
09-12-2002, 03:42 PM
when i went to my local honda dealership, i asked for a replacement honda oil filter, and the one they gave me is the same exact one that was on my car ! (1st oil filter) From what i was told ( i asked the shop mechanic) the bigger oil filter is for the sohc civic, and the smaller one is for the dohc k20a3. So i was happy with that answer, made sense to me... IMO the bigger one is the dealers way to try to cut costs, ie. they have one filter for all the civics, instead of making a specific order for the k20a3 smaller ones. just my thoughts -joe

ps - i changed my oil my car had 2300 miles on it and i was already a tiny tiny bit below the low level on the dipstick..

Idonthaveahatch
09-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Makes no difference, I change oil on those cars all the time.

02blksi
09-12-2002, 08:31 PM
what do you mean it makes no difference??? why would you say that? Why would honda make a different filter for the K20 if it was the same as the older style?????? doesnt seem to cost effective to me. And since you change oil filters in the civic si's all the time which ones do you use? Or do you use whatever you have in stock that day?--joe

Hondatech
09-12-2002, 09:38 PM
Makes no difference, I change oil on those cars all the time.

This scares me. Hit your IDrive system (you guys in the states have IDrive at the dealerships don't you?), and look for a bulleten on using the PLM filters with the K series motors. You'll find out why they're supposed to be used.

2fastcivic
09-12-2002, 11:27 PM
so HondaTech, are you saying i should use the base rsx oil filters.

Mechanic
09-13-2002, 04:14 AM
The correct Honda oil filter for the K20 series is Honda part number 15400-PLM-A01.

There may be other sizes & manufacturers' filters out there that can be screwed onto the back of your engine, but if you do that, you're assuming that the Honda engineers who designed your engine - guys who have a world-wide reputation for brilliant engineering - suddenly became too stupid to figure out the best oil filter for their car.

Now, having said that, the guys who wrote the owner's manual apparently have yet to get together with their counterparts who set up the Honda's "official" webpage. The manual for our cars indicates that, for "severe" service (i.e., stop and go driving, repeated short trips) the oil and filter should be changed at 5k intervals; otherwise 10k intervals. The website, however, specifies 3.5k for the former, and 7500 for the latter. Go figure.

The website also indicates that Honda cars are delivered with a "special break-in oil" that is not supposed to be changed before the specified intervals (above). Check it out.

Idonthaveahatch
09-13-2002, 05:13 AM
The only difference between the stock filter and the other honda filters we use is about a total of 1 inch in diameter, make no diff.

Hondatech
09-13-2002, 06:39 AM
The only difference between the stock filter and the other honda filters we use is about a total of 1 inch in diameter, make no diff.

Lets try this again. You say you work for a dealership. Do some research on IDrive, and you'll find out WHY there is that 1" difference in the filters.

JSIR
09-13-2002, 07:45 AM
I know it happens, my Honda dealer only stocks the larger b-series oil filters and supplies them to the k20 engines. They tried to sell me one for my SiR , they told me the smaller filter is only to be used for break-in period, after that we are to use the larger filters. I just knew they were bullshiting me, I walked out of there and went to Acura and bought a couple RSX filters. If Honda designed the smaller filters for the K20 engine, use the smaller filters IMO. The dealer just doesn't want to stock the smaller filters for a low production run vehicle like the SiR, so they try to sell you the larger filter which they think fits okay, but I wouldn't trust them. hth.

02blksi
09-13-2002, 08:53 AM
hondatech (thanks for the reply), what is this IDRIVE system you are refering to?? JSIR well said, if you read my post that is exactly what i thought the dealers where doing, trying to save some money by stocking one "universal" filter for the civics, im glad on the onther hand that i was supplied with the correct oil filter when i needed it! --joe

02blksi
09-13-2002, 08:59 AM
as posted by hondatech:
"There really shouldn't be any deabte. The smaller diameter filters are designed to clear the right inner CV axle on the K series motors (RSX, CR-V, Si/SiR, 2003 Accord 4 cylinders). An older "normal" sized Honda filter (which fits pretty much everything since 1988, and all current motors, excluding K series motors and Insights) may come into contact with the axle, and get a hole chewed in 'er. Not good. I've heard of other dealerships selling those "normal" sized ones to Ep owners, sating that the smaller ones are just for break in. WRONG! Warranty might not cover a wrecked motor from a holed "normal" filter that someone installed them selves, even if it was your local jackass parts department that sold it to you. You'd own them if their service guys put one on though... makes me sad that it seems to be an issue for other dealerships, tarnishing the already somewhat beaten image of dealers... If all else fails, get them to look the part # up on their computer. That'll learn 'em!"

Hondatech
09-13-2002, 05:50 PM
as posted by hondatech

Yeah, what was quoted there ;)

what is this IDRIVE system you are refering to??

IDrive is great. It's a computer terminal at the dealership in the service department tied directly to Honda with a high speed connection. It has all our manuals, service bulletins, "Shop Talk", accessory install guides online, so rather then lug around a bulky manual, we can print off whatever we need. We also get instant updates of service bulletens, rather then having to wait for them to be mailed out like the good ol' days. We've had our system for a little over a year now, and it's made life a whole lot easier.

If you're on good terms with your local service department, they'd probably even print off a small section if you need some instructions for doing something yourself. I did that for a guy today who wanted to install a new stereo and speakers in his 2002 Civic sedan, but didn't know where to start.

02blksi
09-13-2002, 08:40 PM
nice nice, hey i was wondering about your exhaust setup, where is the midpipe exactly, and how is your exhaust system setup(what was replaced)?? thanks ..--joe

CgSi
09-14-2002, 12:51 AM
I got an oil change at 2700, they used the larger filter. About a thousand miles later and no probs. I brought up the smaller filter and even the part number and they said it is for break in period only and threw on the bigger one. Hell, if something happens, new engine :D

Hondatech
09-14-2002, 02:19 AM
hey i was wondering about your exhaust setup, where is the midpipe exactly, and how is your exhaust system setup(what was replaced)??

From the cat to the flex gasket at the muffler section is the mid pipe. Stock is pretty dinky. We tossed that entire chunk, and the exhaust shop made a whole new pipe from aluminized pipe and mandrel bends. They only charged me $180 cdn (~115 US) Breathes better, nice deep sound. The stock muffler is all 2.25" plumbing, and it looks great so I stuck with 'er. Cheap mod, looks stock, not loud, can't beat it ;)

02blksi
09-14-2002, 03:21 PM
are there 2 inline resonators? the large one directly underneath the car(is this a resonator or the cat?) and the one right before the muffler. are those resonators? and is the cat before the first resonator, going into the first resonator the piping looks like 2 12 inch then after the resonator it comes down to like 2 inch it looks like all the way back into the 2nd resonator then into the muffler. im thinking of putting on 21/2 all the way back to the muffler, and just today i picked up a apexi N1 (N/A model) and ill throw that on also.. what do you think?thanks --joe

Hondatech
09-14-2002, 06:16 PM
Only one resonator. The one right before the muffler at the back. The cat is the big implement at the front. The resonator necks down inside to an ugly 1 1/2"(!). Bleah. 2 1/2" with the APex'i muffler should work out great, a little louder then I'd like, but it's not my car ;)

2k2civicSi
09-14-2002, 06:44 PM
i got my oil changed at the dealer how do i know what filter they put in

CgSi
09-15-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by 2k2civicSi
i got my oil changed at the dealer how do i know what filter they put in

Doesn't matter, if it is the wrong one and something happens. You are covered. Call them up

02blksi
09-15-2002, 06:37 AM
thanks for the reply HONDATECH. --joe

smapzy
09-16-2002, 04:59 PM
I'm thinking to buy the fram oil filter, anyone know what's the part number? I try it online, and they don't have that in the computer yet...

Ritteri
09-18-2002, 06:52 AM
HondaTech. I got my 2002 Si about 3 weeks back, I got roughly 1500 miles on it. help me get rid of the myth here. I am going to full synthetic on my first oild change.

The question is WHEN should that first oil change be done and WHY??

I have heard the stuff that a "special" breakin oil is used etc etc. WHats the scoop here really?

Also I have heard alot of rumors that honda uses a 5-20 weight oil for emission reasons, but if Im right 5-20 is a thin oil and probably isnt best for wear. I live up in NH where winters are long and was thinking of doing 10-30 synthetic or 5-30 synthetic. WHats your take on this?? I just want the best protection for the engine period.

Mechanic
09-18-2002, 03:54 PM
Retteri,

There are several threads on this, so I'll assume you've looked and still want an answer to your question.

If you want to read about the maintenence requirements for Hondas generally, the "official" Honda website (Honda.com) discusses the oil change intervals for new cars. As I pointed out on another thread, the website calls for a an oil change at 3500 miles for "severe service" (defined as stop and go, short trips [less than 10 miles]) and 7500 miles for "normal service." These mileage ranges, as you may know, are at odds with your owner's manual, which specify 5k and 10k, respectively.

I'll leave it to you to decide when to change the stuff. But, more importantly, the official site states that THERE IS A SPECIAL BREAK-IN MOTOR OIL IN NEW HONDA VEHICLES AND THAT IT SHOULD NOT BE DRAINED BEFORE THE SPECIFIED INTERVALS.
Here again, it's up to you to decide whether you want to follow Honda's recommendation or go for a shorter interval.

Ritteri
09-18-2002, 04:04 PM
Yah I know, but thats what bugs me. Is there really a "special oil" or is it propaganda? You work for Honda, so I would think that you have the inside scoop on this. WHat would you do?

Let me put it this way, when would be the EARLIEST you would recommend? I can say that Im not easy on an engine and have been through alot of "lights" so to speak. I have seen alot of folks change it out after the first 500-1000 miles. Wondering if this was smart or not.

Also as for the oil weight, what would you do?

BTW what do you do for Honda? Are you actually an ASE certified mechanic?? What certifications do you have?

thanx!

Mechanic
09-18-2002, 04:39 PM
My days as a mechanic are VERY far behind me, sir. As in decades. I got through undergraduate school working as an engine mechanic in a small "foreign car" garage in Columbia, SC, in the late '60s and early 70s. The last time I had to depend on my mechanical skills was in support of a Bilstein-Cup V-dub I ran in the '80s. I, however, have zero Honda professional qualifications -- other than having owned 10 or 12 of 'em (Hondas & Acuras), several of which went over 100k without a single mechanical failure. That I attribute to four things: I change motor oil & filters often (3k for the oil changes; 6k for the filters, after the initial change at 1k); I use only Honda filters (if you doubt they are worth the money, cut one open and compare it to the junk sold at Pep-boys); I use only Mobil 1 (and have since it first came on the market); and, finally, because I know what holds 'em together, I don't beat 'em up.

Hondatech
09-18-2002, 10:45 PM
Is there really a "special oil" or is it propaganda?

Yup, it does indeed contain additives designed to aid break in. I kept mine in until 3200ish miles, and then changed to 5W30 Castrol Syntec full synthetic. The 5W20 is a fuel economy based oil, and there's nothing wrong with using 5W30 in your K series motor for imporved protection (at the cost of 2-3% worse fuel economy over the life of the car)

rick77f
09-23-2002, 12:17 AM
I went to 4 different Honda dealers and only one of them had the correct filter. The other dealers were insistant that the larger filter was fine. None of them would even order one for me. The parts guy at Honda World in Westminster knew exactly what I needed. They have plenty of filters and crush washers in stock.