PDA

View Full Version : Would an RSX-S or CTR rear sway bar be better for me?

FCobra94
11-10-2003, 09:40 AM
Sorry if it sounds like I didn't do a search but I've been following the posts on each very closely. The only problem is that people have been installing either one or the other and haven't had experience w/ both. Before I pick one, I am trying to get the one that is best for daily driving on stock and eventually aftermarket shocks/springs, tires, etc...

Will there be that much of a noticable difference between the two if I don't autocross, etc?

I'm also trying to avoid having to spend money on tie bars and stuff like that, so does that automatically rule out the CTR bar?

Thanks for the help!

BlasTech
11-10-2003, 09:49 AM
You'll be just fine with the RSX bar, and you can get it cheap... the CTR one is pretty extreme.

Peking
11-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by BlasTech
You'll be just fine with the RSX bar, and you can get it cheap... the CTR one is pretty extreme.

Agreed, and easier to get.

Dunrick
11-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Couldn't disagree more. How is 22mm extreme? In what way?

Your car will handle better w/ the 22mm versus the rsx-s 19mm

hands down. it doesn't effect daily driving whatsoever...doesn't make it ride harsh...it will just make your car handle better. Its a no-brainer imo

Burgh
11-10-2003, 02:20 PM
If he's not interested in autox/road racing, then it really doesn't make a difference which bar he gets IMO.

f4hondaphile
11-10-2003, 03:02 PM
I am also trying to decide which bar to get so I don't yet have experience with either. But here is part of my thinking: the CTR bar is not very much more expensive at about $100 from Hondawerx on the vendor page right now or around $75 for an rsx-s bar at an Acura dealer from what I'm told (rsx bar can be real cheap if you buy one off an rsx guy who has an aftermarket bar and no use for his stock obviously). So cost is not as much of an issue as which is better for what you do.

The ctr 22mm will certainly mean more oversteer, but the rsx-s bar has to be significantly stiffer than our stock bar at 4mm larger and should net a very noticeable improvement without risk of going "over the top" if there is such a thing. Auto-x-ing might justify the bigger bar but on a daily driver, maybe not.

Also, and perhaps most importantly to me the rsx bar has got to weigh less than the fat ctr bar.

Haven't bought yet, but I am leaning toward the rsx bar b/c I can just drive down to the local Acura dealer for it, the weight thing, and I think it will be an adequate improvement in handling for me, hth.

BlasTech
11-10-2003, 03:30 PM
I dont think you'd notice the benefits of the CTR bar without auto-xing... its very subtle in the daily driving...

But the CTR bar is relatively cheap, so if you think there's a chance you'd want it later, go ahead and get it now, so you dont have to buy twice...

Its not exactly dangerous for a daily driver...as long as you've gone to an open lot somewhere to figure out the new breakaway point, and have an idea of what it feels like to "lose the rear"...especially on stock tires.

andy
11-10-2003, 03:44 PM
clubrsx.com is a good place to look for RSX-S sway's, if you go that
route. I got mine for $55 shipped and it was painted bling-bling red
and had a Honda sticker. ;) It's fine for daily driving.

I'll probably upgrade to a CTR bar at a later date, but I'm kind of
waiting on better endlinks and I at least want to test this bar with
my springs that I have yet to install.

f4hondaphile
11-10-2003, 03:52 PM
Blastech:
I don't think its dangerous on a daily driver just that the larger bar isn't really justified if you never auto-x, basically the same thing you are saying about it.

f4hondaphile
11-10-2003, 03:58 PM
I don't think its dangerous on a daily driver just that the larger bar isn't really justified if you never auto-x, basically the same thing you are saying about it.

Tenacious G
11-10-2003, 04:38 PM
well, he also should take into account how stiff his aftermarket springs will be. if he goes with a softer spring (i.e. stock), the stiffer CTR bar will put a lot of stress on the end links. but for daily driving and no auto-x, i guess the RSX-S sway will be sufficient.

bobdobbs
11-10-2003, 05:19 PM
RSX on a daily driver.

FCobra94
11-10-2003, 08:09 PM
Well, since I do work at an Acura dealership ;) I went ahead and ordered an RSX-S bar and bushings. Total came to $63 I think, for the bar and the bushings.

In the future, the most I would do suspension wise would prob be a set of Tein SS coilovers (or something similar) and maybe a set of 17" wheels.

Since the RSX-S bar seems like the better "all around" unit, I think I'll pocket the extra $40 or so and use it towards something else, such as paying off my new G Tech Pro :D

Thanks again for the help all! :)

Dunrick
11-10-2003, 08:15 PM
man, i dont understand the logic, except for the $$

You obviously want a sway bar, because you want your car to handle better

the ctr bar is what you want(ed)...

rswbrixton
11-10-2003, 08:17 PM
22mm JDM CTR .

Tenacious G
11-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick
the ctr bar is what you want(ed)...

obviously not since he went with the RSX-S sway.

;)

since he's not auto-xing his car, i doubt he'll miss the difference in the characteristics of the CTR sway and walk away $40 richer.

FCobra94
11-10-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Tenacious G
obviously not since he went with the RSX-S sway.

;)

since he's not auto-xing his car, i doubt he'll miss the difference in the characteristics of the CTR sway and walk away $40 richer.

Plus, I didn't want to worry about spending any more money on upgraded endlinks, etc...

bobdobbs
11-10-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by FCobra94
In the future, the most I would do suspension wise would prob be a set of Tein SS coilovers (or something similar) and maybe a set of 17" wheels.

I've got that combination, 'cept with 15" wheels and it's great. My car handles way better than I thought it would before I bought it. The SS coilovers are a good match with the RSX bar. They're slightly stiffer than stock. Once you get them tweaked, the car has a perfect balance between handling and comfort. I hate great-handling cars that beat the crap out of you 99% of the time. With the Teins and the RSX rear bar, that's not the case.

FCobra94
11-10-2003, 09:25 PM
I hate great-handling cars that beat the crap out of you 99% of the time.

My Mustang is just that :( Even with just Eibach Pro-Kit's and Tokico 5 ways it stays completely flat and neutral but it actually gets tiring after riding in it for even a short while...

I'm glad you posted because I've been going back and forth w/ wheel and suspension options. I think I'll eventually settle on a nice light set of good looking 15"s and the Tein kit though, so thanks for the review :cool:

william
11-10-2003, 10:36 PM
I'm using the rsx bar and to be honest I havent noticed any difference, and I think i may have to upgrade the endlinks becasue the bar sits different from the stock location. Looks like the shorter type-S endlinks would work better. IMO, verry little differenc on autox if any.

f4hondaphile
11-11-2003, 08:57 AM
Bobdobbs and anyone else:

I am ordering my RSX bar today...do I need to buy the RSX brackets or can I use my stock brackets?

I want to buy the RSX polyurethane bushings, does using these make a difference?

Based on people saying they used stock brackets for CTR bar, I'm guessing I'm alright but just want to make sure.

f4hondaphile
11-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Bobdobbs and anyone else:

I am ordering my RSX bar today...do I need to buy the RSX brackets or can I use my stock brackets?

I want to buy the RSX polyurethane bushings, does using these make a difference?

Based on people saying they used stock brackets for CTR bar, I'm guessing I'm alright but just want to make sure.

Sorry, don't know why my computer keeps reposting these..arrghh!

Tenacious G
11-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by f4hondaphile
Sorry, don't know why my computer keeps reposting these..arrghh!

just give the server some time to update the thread ... so only click "submit reply" once. it's a slow-ass server, so be patient with it.

from what i've read, you should be OK with the stock endlinks with the RSX-S bar. If you had gone with the CTR sway, then you definately would need to have upgraded.

bobdobbs
11-11-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by f4hondaphile

You need the 19mm RSX bushings, but you can re-use the brackets. I bought the OEM Acura bushings, which are rubber. I can't comment on whether poly is worth it.

f4hondaphile
11-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Thats interesting...some guys on here have said that the OEM Acura bushings are graphite impregnated (so you don't have to grease them) polyurethane bushings.

I'll buy them whether they are rubber or poly but I guess I'll see what they are when I pick all this stuff up on Thurs.

Thanks for the help.

bobdobbs
11-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Could be. They looked like hard rubber to me and didn't have that slick polyurethane feel. Maybe that's the graphite.

chunky
11-11-2003, 03:38 PM
i've got the rsx-s bar, and the car handles well with the h&r springs I have. I've actually spun the car out driving through an intersection due to having to brake for some jackhole who didn't yield. So yeah, the type-s bar makes things a LOT more neutral. a 22mm rear bar would make the car even more tail happy.

so basically, if you are asking this question in the first place, you are a relative novice to suspension tuning, and you should get the rsx-s bar to stay out of trouble. Once you see what a rear sway bar does for you, pick a more agressive one if you like. but it's foolish to just buy the biggest bar, and then spin out into a curb b/c you don't know how to handle the car.

Also, ideally, you want the smallest rear sway that allows you to have the amount of rotation you want. One way to increase the roll stiffness in the rear is to get stiffer rear springs. that is the "preferred" method as it keeps the rear wheels more independent, but it can hit daily driving pretty hard.

more than likely, i'll be going to the 22mm ctr bar, or the 24mm mugen bar. :D

f4hondaphile
11-12-2003, 03:24 PM
bobdobbs:

Just picked up the bar and the bushings today...they sure look like rubber to me and I am sure they are because they are so damn soft and flexible. If they were poly i wouldn't be able to squeeze them with my hand!

I ordered some ES poly bushings b/c even with getting raped on the shipping they were only four dollars more than the oem rubber ones and the Acura dealer said I could bring back the bushings and brackets if i didn't need them. Also, I am going to be installing the neuspeed poly bushings for the front bar at the same time so it makes sense to have poly all the way around.

Thanks again for the help.

bobdobbs
11-12-2003, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I thought they were rubber, too. I didn't give them the squeeze test, since it didn't cross my mind they might be poly.

Let us know how your poly bushings go. I don't like the squeaks, so I avoid them and I think the rear is stiff enough anyhow. Maybe you should install the OEM bushings first to see if the poly makes a positive difference.

myeverlovinsir
11-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by chunky
i've got the rsx-s bar, and the car handles well with the h&r springs I have. I've actually spun the car out driving through an intersection due to having to brake for some jackhole who didn't yield. So yeah, the type-s bar makes things a LOT more neutral. a 22mm rear bar would make the car even more tail happy.

so basically, if you are asking this question in the first place, you are a relative novice to suspension tuning, and you should get the rsx-s bar to stay out of trouble. Once you see what a rear sway bar does for you, pick a more agressive one if you like. but it's foolish to just buy the biggest bar, and then spin out into a curb b/c you don't know how to handle the car.

Also, ideally, you want the smallest rear sway that allows you to have the amount of rotation you want. One way to increase the roll stiffness in the rear is to get stiffer rear springs. that is the "preferred" method as it keeps the rear wheels more independent, but it can hit daily driving pretty hard.

more than likely, i'll be going to the 22mm ctr bar, or the 24mm mugen bar. :D

I agree, however I did not have the inbetween steps to 'evolve' to the CTR sway. I find it can be somewhat sneaky compared to stock. Around corners it has it's limits and will react much more unforgiving than stock. I found when I went back to the stock tires on the CTR sway that the tire roll helped to eleviate the jumpyness of the rear, it's still a fun ride.

f4hondaphile
11-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Yeah, I thought they were rubber, too. I didn't give them the squeeze test, since it didn't cross my mind they might be poly.

Let us know how your poly bushings go. I don't like the squeaks, so I avoid them and I think the rear is stiff enough anyhow. Maybe you should install the OEM bushings first to see if the poly makes a positive difference.

Well if the poly ones don't arrive on Saturday then I will have no choice but to start with the oem ones. I am worried about the squeaks that poly bushings are so notorious for, but I want to try them for awhile and see how it goes. I think if I lube 'em well enough they should be quiet. My friend just put 'em on his aftermarket rear sway for his Volvo S40--squeak free for over a month now!

Any suggestions on how best to keep em quiet?

Comptech advises using silicon tape??!!? Weird if ya ask me, I figure some good lithium grease or whatever gear-lube-type-stuff they supply with the bushings oughtta do it if applied liberally.

I'll let ya' know though.

bobdobbs
11-12-2003, 07:14 PM
Get yourself some marine grease. It's the stickiest grease readily available and it's more resistant to water than white lithium. It's a blue-green color and you can find it at any big auto supply store. A small tub that will last a lifetime is like 5 bucks. Works great.

FCobra94
11-14-2003, 09:55 AM
Well, the bar is in :) I noticed right away that it took away ALL the body roll that the stock bar was allowing. Bumps in the road are also more apparent than they were before.

With everything else being stock (tires, springs, shocks, etc) though, I now get crazy understeer when taking a turn faster than usual. On quick turn in's it feels like the tires are trying to fold over :( For that reason, I'd say that on a stock setup, this bar is a bit too stiff and you won't notice an improvement when driving aggressive. But at more reasonable speeds, it keeps the rear end planted nicely.

I guess this bar will be great once I at least get some real tires on the car, but until then I'll take it easy on those quick turn in's ;)

Thanks again for the help everyone :)

f4hondaphile
11-16-2003, 02:45 PM
I just installed my bar Saturday along with front poly bushings from neuspeed and put the rsx rubber bushings on the rear till my ES ones come in. My car is also otherwise stock at this point.

I will concur with your findings except I haven't noticed quite the crazy understeer you describe but I haven't had the opportunity for a lot of familiar turns yet. Also, I don't know that it is "too stiff" necessarily for an otherwise stock suspension. It does seem to make some road imperfections more noticeable than before but I am hyper attentive as after any mod, trying to get a feel for what it is doing.

I like the reduced body roll but it certainly highlights the weakest link...TIRES!! The tires folded over and squealed like crazy when I did some skidpad-like maneuvers in an abandoned parking lot. I must say though, I like the new feel going at seven or eight tenths on on-ramps and such because of the reduced body roll and understeer.

I agree with most of the posts on this thread that the rsx bar was the right choice for a suspension with stock springs and dampers becasue the ctr would have most likely put too much stress on the endlinks and brackets and would definitely have maxed out the stupid all-season michelins much sooner. Basically, this mod just makes me even more anxious to get new tires.

Guess I better get busy trying to wear out these stock tires!

All told, it gives the car a bit more purposeful/sporty/controlled feel in the suspension movements and the very slight degradation in ride is well worth it. IMO, a very solid upgrade that is easily worth the low price and easy installation

P.S. for anyone who is interested, I weighed the bars rather inexactly by stepping on a digital bathroom scale with and without each bar. The stock 15mm bar weighed about 3lbs and the rsx 19mm bar weighed about 5lbs.

katc10
05-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I also didn't want to start my own thread to ask questions that have been addressed already...

Where can I find a CTR bar for my EP3?

LLH
05-06-2010, 07:46 AM
92$ shipping from japan

http://www.tougedistribution.com/list/48/HOEM+Honda+EP3+

109$ shipping from arizona
http://yhst-1408381693991.stores.yahoo.net/jdmciep3tyrc.html

johnkimble
05-06-2010, 09:04 AM
just get the 22 mm, you will be fine and it's better to just do it right the first time

FoReVaPmP
05-06-2010, 09:05 AM
just get the 22 mm, you will be fine and it's better to just do it right the first time

:yeahthat: