PDA

View Full Version : How to Wash and Wax

Bicho6
11-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Hey guys i'm a new member just guy my ep last weekend and i will probably give it cleaning this weekend. I'm right about to leave for peps boys to stock myself up on some cleaner and i thought to myself, "how do other people clean their cars?".

Personally I think Washing and Waxing is something that many people take for granted and this its a process that one just slaps on and rubs off. So my question to everyone is .. How do you Wash and Wax? What is the best/right way to Wax.

I think they're many people out there who really don't know how to do it, including myself. Man are afraid to ask because they think they will sound stupid. I mean who doesn't know how to Wash and Wax a car :-p

But yah if you guys what to share you tips please do because i'm sure alot of people have cool ideas

ATRIOT
11-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Heres a great link:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

I use meguiars gold class wax, it does a pretty good job.

raiyo
11-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Here is what I do.

Wash when it starts to get late. Like when the sun is going down and not the much sunlight hitting on the car. I wash with a natural sea sponge. It has VERY uneven surface. That's the good part about it. When you rinse your car to get the sand/dust off it, you won't get 100% of the sand/dust off. So when you use a flat sponge, you're rubbing the sand/dust against your clear coat, which makes small marks. So natural sea sponge is the way to go. Try a house paint shop, they might carry it.

As for what product I use to wash my car, I'm still using what the dealer gave me, Touch of Class Kit. Got 6 bottles of stuff in there. I only used the pink car washing liquid. After done washing, I drive my car back into the garage. Out of the streets mean less dust.

For waxing, I use Klasses (all in one and gloss) products with Meguiars Wax. When using the All-In-One, it is apply then wipe off. With the Gloss, I apply the whole car then I wipe off, giving it some time to go in the cleat coat. Before buffing it off, I use those Swifer dust remover to remove any dust that could had gotten on the car during that time. For the wax, I dust the area right before I apply the wax. After the whole car is done, I use a car cover and cover the thing and let the wax sit overnight and remove the wax then.

YES, I'm a freak, I only do all those step twice a year.

SiR Medic
11-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Here's some tips:

*Use 2 buckets when washing, one full of soapy water, the other just water. Use the bucket with just water in it to rinse out your cleaning instrument of choice (towel, washmit, whatever) BEFORE you dip it back into the soapy water. This insures that the soapy water will always be clean, and you reduce the chance of rubbing dirt into your paint.

*Always start on top of the car and work your way down. The bottom of the car is always the dirtiest. Doing it last will help reduce the chance of scratches and swirls caused by rubbing dirt into the paint.

*Use quality stuff. Maguire's, Mother's, and other name brands.

*Get a California Car Duster to help keep your car clean

*Don't use hot water! It melts the wax.

*Get a buffer. You'll thank yourself for it.

*Don't rush it.

*Don't use a pressure washer! These things should be used to wash vinyl siding, not cars. You might as well be using a sand-blaster.

*ALWAYS take the time to dry your car. Use a good chamois, clean towel, or a California water blade. If you don't, the car might look dirtier after you wash it, with all the waterspots.

sniperSI
11-12-2003, 09:52 AM
Here is a waxing tip,

4 step process,

#1.) after the car is washed and all, walk around your car, start at one corner of the car (driver headlight) and you should end up when your finished on the other side of the car (ie walk all around the car)

With the bottle of wax and an application pad in your hand "Cut" the car in with wax. This means use the pad, go around the headlights, the washer nozzels, get the side view mirrors, the rocker pannels, the sides of the weather stripping on the roof, all the places where you want wax, but don't want to get it in the rubber etc etc so essintaly your outlineing the car with wax, then when your done with step 1.

#2 Fill in the wax outlines (the rest of the car you didnt wax) with wax, like a coloring book, this ensures you get wax on every part of the car with paint.

#3 Wax your rims, door jams, tail pipe, anything with paint or metal.

#4 Remove wax, start one part of the car and move around, to the other side, just like cutting it. Use a small utlity brush, like a 2 1/4 inch painters brush, with soft bristles, to brush wax out of the cracks of your car, rubber moldings, etc.

Any other tips? Just ask, as i've said before, I was a car detailer for about 3 years or so.

oogy-boogy
11-12-2003, 10:23 AM
I have a nice "how-to" spreadsheet that I made for another member if you're interested. :D

AkronSi
11-12-2003, 10:33 AM
What they all said :D

Also, when you wax, try to stick to applying and removing in straight lines. That way, if you do put little scratches or other marks in the clear coat, they won't show up from every angle.

Also, check out Autopia Web Board (http://www.autopia.org)

There is a ton of great stuff.

Also, if you go for Meguair's try to get the Mirror Glaze line (in the tan bottle). I know that you can get some of it at AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts (don't know about Pep Boys).

By the way SniperSi. I really like the coloring book idea.

Si Death
11-15-2003, 04:40 PM
sorry,ew new to cars just got my si this year. several questions.

1. are the clear coat scratches those little tiny lines i see after i wash and wax my car??? does that mean i basically scratched the f*** out of my car with some towel i shouldnt have used? (used chamois and then old towel to get wax out, did it in circular fashion...)
2. whats a buffer?
3. i used this really soft sponge i found at my house.... is that bad?
4. can yhou make the car shinier than when you get it at the dealers??

thnx in advanced:D

raiyo
11-15-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Si Death

1. are the clear coat scratches those little tiny lines i see after i wash and wax my car??? does that mean i basically scratched the f*** out of my car with some towel i shouldnt have used? (used chamois and then old towel to get wax out, did it in circular fashion...)
2. whats a buffer?

Here's my input:
1. yes those tiny lines are scratches made by something, which I dunno. Those lines will go bye bye if u use some swirl remover, check out your local auto shop.
2. buffer is a machine, if we're talking bout the same thing. a machine that has a pad attached to it, which makes your buffing easier.
3. soft sponges are always good, but try to find an uneven sponge, like a natrual sea sponge.
4. you can get your car VERY shiny, all depends if you willing to put in the work. get some polisher, wax, and i dunno what. i use klasse product, costy, but worthed it i guess.

AkronSi
11-17-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Si Death

2. whats a buffer?

I'll add a few to Raiyo's list.

1. if you're not sure of anything, check it on a CD first. You know those free AOL cd's that you get. Take your towel, sponge, chamios or whatever and rub it back and forth on the shiny side. If there is any marring then there is a good chance it will do the same to your paint.

2. I think that most people are talking about a good Dual-action polisher like porter cable. I think those cheapies at the auto store aren't worth it.

3. if you can't get a hold of a natural sea sponge, get a good lambswool wash mitt. The one at target is really good.

4. Yes, it can and will look better. But, you have to put the time into it. If you only want do one thing to it (cleaner wax) then it won't look better.

I have a ton of different products that I use together or at different times depending on my mood. The Klasse is definately worth it.

In additon to Autopia, check out properautocare.com, premioumautocare.com and autogeek.net. I've ordered from all of them, and have never been dissapointed.

Btrthnezr3
12-03-2003, 08:36 AM
All the guys have already given really great advice, but I just wanted to add one thing. I've noticed recently that our car gets alot of dust/dirt in the cracks and crevices of the doors/hatch/hood. More than any other car I've ever had...so what I do is after I wash the car I take a damp somewhat soapy washcloth and wipe down the door jams and edges of the door/hatch and under the hood. Then, I go over all the same places with a water-only cloth and then dry thoroughly. This may seem like a stupid thing to do, but it doesn't take very long and makes a big difference in the total look of the clean car. Imagine...seeing a beautifully washed and waxed car and then you open the door and the inside of the door is all black and gunky! Yeah...so that's my addition...also, every once in a while, I wipe down some of the things "under the hood"...a clean engine bay is wonderful!
Hope this helps!

IIx 03 EP xII
12-03-2003, 03:24 PM
i have a silver ep... and ive noticed that black ep's are much shinier than the silver ones. is there any certain way i can obtain that same, or at least close shine? i enjoy spending time washing and waxing my car, it gives a great feeling of satisfaction driving around a pristine car (also my dad likes to pay for my care more when i take care of it). any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

i-WERKS
12-04-2003, 08:24 AM
I love the shine you get with black. It's just a bitch to keep it that way.

I use the meguires 3 step deep crystal system and scratch X
1. wash
2. paint cleaner (step 1)
3. Scratch X
4. polish (step 2)
5. wax (step 3)

It usually takes about 4 hours or so but the result is a car that shines more so than when i drove it out of the dealership. A cloth placed on the hood will just slide right off.

AkronSi
12-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Man, that's gotta suck washing and waxing in a dirt/gravel driveway. But, the results are awesome! I gotta get a replica wing soon!

IIx 03 EP xII, You may not be able to get quite the "same" shine that a black car has, just because of the differences in colors and such. But, at the least do something like this.

1. Wash
2. Clay (if you haven't before)
3. Use a good paint cleaner/polish (check out something from Meg's or Mothers....or better yet Klasse or P21S).
4. For that extra pop, follow the cleaner with some sort of glaze (once again, check te brands mentioned above).
5. Wax (synthetic, carnuba or a layer of each). If you do all the other steps, then make sure you get a "pure" wax...not a CLEANER type wax.

You shouldn't have to do the cleaner/polish and glazing steps all the time either.

Basically the same as i-Werks system.

But, you whould know that different waxes effect the paint differently...some are more optically clear, some will darken the paint and some will give the car a warmer look. Experiment and see what you like and what works for you.

IIx 03 EP xII
12-04-2003, 01:26 PM
thanks guys, looks like i have a new project for my baby now. where can i get those products though? i know wal-mart doesnt carry those things, and i dont have too much of a selection being that i live in panama city beach and its a tourist town basically. but still thanks for the information.

BlackSi2002
12-10-2003, 12:02 PM
my car is shiny too

AkronSi
12-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by IIx 03 EP xII
thanks guys, looks like i have a new project for my baby now. where can i get those products though? i know wal-mart doesnt carry those things, and i dont have too much of a selection being that i live in panama city beach and its a tourist town basically. but still thanks for the information.

Check in the phone book for any places that sell equipment to body shops and detailers (Like Finish Masters or the Sherwin Williams Autorefinishing centers).

Both AutoZone and Advance Auto carry some of the pro Meguair's stuff (the tan bottles) but not much.

And, the web is your friend. There are actually a few places online that are based in Florida, so you'd probably get the stuff pretty quick.

Try properautocare.com, autogeek.net, premiumautocare.com, autopia-carcare.com and many more. Have fun.

Brettnyt
12-10-2003, 04:59 PM
My car is also shiny... Very shiny...

CLICK ME (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=255252)

phlegyas
12-11-2003, 09:36 PM
i dont have much to add to this, but i can tell you from personal experience, Klasse is great. You might not notice it as much on a newer car like ours with fresh paint, but it can really bring old dull paint to life. Anyone whos ever used it will tell you its some good stuff..