PDA

View Full Version : got my random downpipe/high flow cat. installed yesterday

SOUTHPAW
11-11-2003, 03:31 PM
First off the bad news, I must start by saying the part is for the Acura RSX, not the SI. When I got it in the mail, I was a little skeptical, so I called tornactive.com and they reasured me it will fit the SI. So I take my car down to get it installed. As I'm waiting, about 20 min. go by and the mechanic has me come out to the shop area, and shows me that it won't fit. The part that connects to the midpipe fits fine, but its the downpipe part that connects to your headers that doesn't fit(the downpipe diameter is to small). Now the good news, he said he can make it fit with a little welding and an expand flange(no major changes to the part itself). So I told him to do it, and I'm glad I did because now it fits like it was made specifically for the SI. With this high flow cat., my car feels alot more responsive, and it made it louder. I don't know how this part is with a stock setup, but my setup is DC stainless 4-2-1 headers, random technology downpipe/high flow cat., and a greddy catback exhaust. The high flow cat definatly gave my exhaust a deeper sound. Normally people were saying the Greddy is too quiet(which I never thought), but I must say, this setup sounds excellant together. It sounds deep when you get on the gas like a tuned car, not like a dirt bike or a lawn mower. Anyway, I highly recommend this part and all the other parts I have on my car for my exhaust system. As for pictures, I have no digital camera or a scanner, but if any of you northeastern PA. people have a meet, I'll definatly will try to be there so ya'll can check out my setup.

andy
11-11-2003, 04:21 PM
Southpaw, good review, some pics would be great if you get the chance.
Bioevolve just posted about his hi-flow cat (he got it off eBay) and
it seemed to fit his Si just fine. Did require a minor mod to the
hanger, I think, but otherwise okay. Pictures would help show if it's
a different part than yours...
Also, any CEL (check engine/service required) light? Keep us updated
on that, please.

SOUTHPAW
11-11-2003, 09:20 PM
I forgot to add, that I know someone on this site said something that a high flow Cat. will make your service engine or malfunction light come on, but that isn't true. I haven't had any lights come on or blink or anything like that when I've been driving. If ya'll wanna see the part, its in the the july issue of modified magazine, page 60.

David K.
11-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Let's not confuse "high-flow cat" with "off-road pipe" (or whatever you want to call it). Sounds like Southpaw bought an actual catalytic converter that performs better than stock, whereas bioevolve got the cat-eliminator pipe from ebay. Totally different. Southpaw should have no issues with a cel, whereas bioevolve might. I'm interested in dyno's of both, particularly bioevolve's, since the ebay piece will most likely be my next purchase.

anjapower
11-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Southpaw, there is a meet in NJ that a bunch of PA people are going to. You should try and make it...it is this friday. We would all love to check out your setup.