PDA

View Full Version : hibernating the wheels

pLopSI
11-12-2003, 03:21 PM
Winter is here and we've gotten a lil bit of snow up here. But sure enough, the big stuff will hit us soon. I was jus wondering if anyone actually keeps their aftermarket wheels on during the winter. I was never really sure why people do it anyways. Is it because of the salt from the roads would damage the wheels' finish? I've been wanting to swap the aftermarkets n' stockies but I've been just plain lazy...

00-ITR-373
11-12-2003, 04:00 PM
I don't really clean my car that thoroughly in the winter, and I don't want the aftermarket rims getting surface damage from corrosion etc. Salt and lack of care can really mess up the surface of some aftermarket rims. Plus, many people have very sticky rubber on that is horrid in the snow. Changing tires is a need more than a want. So the aftermarket rims come off by default as the winter tires and rims go on.

Gs02SiR
11-12-2003, 04:06 PM
No way. I dont want to screw up my wheels and a little traction would be nice.

anjapower
11-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Yup, mine are coming off. Not that I think the wheels will get damaged w/ the salt but my summer tires are about as sticky as our feet on black ice...

myeverlovinsir
11-12-2003, 04:17 PM
I prematurely destroyed my right front tire on Enkei 5+ rims, so they went away till next spring. The stockies will get a vigorous workout in the mean time.:D

DyNastySi
11-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Didnt pay any money for my rims. They came with my car from the dealer like that so I cant put stock rims back on there.:( At Pep Boys they got some rims for sale for $59.00 so I'm gonna get a set of those. There not that bad, looks like motegi's. I dunno which ones I know there 10 spokes. Plus I work there so 20% off of that...and all of the APC products I want.:eek: :rolleyes:

Civicvtec1ps
11-12-2003, 04:52 PM
take them off.
i did couple weeks ago. salt will mess up wheels finish.

r3p00c
11-12-2003, 05:24 PM
mine are staying on... its not like they're volks or anything. i also don't drive to work, i walk, so that helps a bit. i keep the salt off of my car enough in the winter anyway to avoid any sort of wear...

k20hatch
11-12-2003, 05:50 PM
As much as i hate to say...well no wait...i dunno how to put that. But i have a body kit and am setting very low to the ground, which most of you know! Im raising the coilovers up soon and throwing the stockies on for the winter, even though i do not drive it much in the winter i drive my 1990 civic beater around i still wanna go on them ep joy rides. It may look really funny but it the way things go i will have my volks around jan and will have these 18's as winter wheels!

BluePearl03Si
11-12-2003, 05:53 PM
I live in Washington where it just rains alot in the winter. Performance tires have about as much grip as a bar of soap when it rains.....So I put my stocks back on with good wet traction tires.

I don't encounter salt, but I do encounter snow in the mountains going to Mt. Hood and chemical de-icers are present, so a good spray of the underbody is a good idea during the winter.

Lucid Moments
11-12-2003, 06:00 PM
If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times.

Thank God I live in the south. I keep the wheels on all year round with no worries.

myeverlovinsir
11-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by k20hatch
As much as i hate to say...well no wait...i dunno how to put that. But i have a body kit and am setting very low to the ground, which most of you know! Im raising the coilovers up soon and throwing the stockies on for the winter, even though i do not drive it much in the winter i drive my 1990 civic beater around i still wanna go on them ep joy rides. It may look really funny but it the way things go i will have my volks around jan and will have these 18's as winter wheels!

The saving grace about runing in the winter on a piece of dry pavement is that you have a nice cold weather boost to your ride. Cold weather is always fun to run in.:cool:

graham
11-12-2003, 08:22 PM
ya! Konig Heliums are in the garage.

I just goy myself a nice set of 14" steelies and some winter tires from Canadian Tire.

All I can say is - thank god I live in Canada and get to enjoy 4 distinct seasons. Nothing more fun than whipping around after a good snowfall! ... well, provided you have snow tires ... otherwise it sucks.

Brettnyt
11-12-2003, 08:23 PM
how much would it normally cost for steelies with winter tires?

Vertigo
11-13-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by mlkelley68

Thank God I live in the south. I keep the wheels on all year round with no worries.
Amen!! Preach on brother!!

oldschoolimport
11-13-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by mlkelley68

Thank God I live in the south. I keep the wheels on all year round with no worries. no shit man, I could see myself changing tires/wheels for 2 weeks. that one snowfall I will just wing it for a day or so.:D

graham
11-13-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
how much would it normally cost for steelies with winter tires?

Up here, Honda has a special that runs at about $650 Canadian + tax for steelies with Toyo winters. I opted to buy some used rims at $30 each and a set of "Motomaster Ice Trac" tires (which are actually tires rebadged from BF Goodrich) for $65 a piece.

So ... before taxes, you'll pay anywhere between $380-$650 Canadian. That's about $275-$470 US. A good investment IMO.

Si3
11-13-2003, 11:13 AM
actually i have my rims off right now because some A**hole construction company decided to tear up a road and not put any signs out so i bent three rims!

but i was planning on taking them off for winter anyways!

-aj-

ragebomb
11-14-2003, 07:58 AM
Man oh man I keep forgetting how great it is to live in southern california. We had 5 inches of rain this week and the news was calling it a "freak storm that stranded hundreds". LOL. STORM WATCH 2003 is here!!

AkronSi
11-14-2003, 08:12 AM
Cool, someone else with 14" steelies. I'm ordering my tires today.

Any advantages of going with the 14's over 15's besides cost? Thanks.

graham
11-14-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by AkronSi
Cool, someone else with 14" steelies. I'm ordering my tires today.

Any advantages of going with the 14's over 15's besides cost? Thanks.

haha ... well, the're lighter ... j/k. In general, 14"s will corner horribly ... but we're talking about winter tires here ... they basically have NO sidewall rigity at all, so they can't be that much worse than 15"s.

The only reason 14"s (185/70R14) would be better than 15"s (195/60R15) for winter tires is that it allows you to decrease the width to 185, thus increasing your grip somewhat. You could use 185/65R15s (same diameter as 195/60R14), but the load rating for that tire size is "86" rather than "87" ... not a big deal I suppose.

I'm getting them installed today ... I'll let you know how they feel.

AkronSi
11-14-2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks Graham. I need to order mine ASAP, before the snow really hits. We're only recieved a dusting around here.

edit: Just ordered mine. I'm getting Kumho I'Zens on 14" steelies.

STP03BlueSI
11-14-2003, 08:44 PM
Why change the wheels i live in FL...hahahaha...sorry had to post that.

graham
11-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Well ... I just got the 14"s on (finally). I managed to score a set of 14" alloys ... I think they're cheapies, but I got them for less than what steelies cost, so what the hey. They actually don't look bad ... I'll posta pic when I get the chance.

With the winter setup, the road noise is a bit louder than my ES100s ... they handle not too badly ... a little squooshy maybe. I can hardly wait for the first real snowfall to see how they do.

sk8flex
11-17-2003, 01:36 AM
I`m using the standard CTR 17" wheels during winter, in spring I`ll use my second set of wheels. ;)

Felix

AkronSi
11-17-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by sk8flex
I`m using the standard CTR 17" wheels during winter, in spring I`ll use my second set of wheels. ;)

Felix

I wish my winter wheels were the "standard CTR" wheels.

What are your other wheels?

sk8flex
11-17-2003, 07:43 AM
First I thought about getting a second set of the standard CTR wheels. But they are quite expensive for standard wheels at my Honda dealer. :eek:

As I got my CTR only a few weeks ago I ordered the car on winter tires and I want to buy a new set for the summer months during the next weeks.

Unfortunately there are not too many wheels available for the CTR in germany. I am still looking for the right ones to pick but basically it

Brettnyt
11-19-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by sk8flex

Felix

Have I ever told you that I hate you with a passion? ;) I dunno when I will put my wheels on... I think I am getting 18"s for X'mas... Will prolly put em on in... late january or eary fabruary... Er... I dunno... Might just throw em right on...