PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with Hondata (Different kind of question)

DavidT
11-12-2003, 03:29 PM
Ok, for those of you who have had the Hondata reflash for some time. How often do you take your car to the 7700 RPMs? How many miles is on your car and have you noticed any side effects of revving it that far past the factory redline of 6800 RPMs. Reason I ask is I'm trying to justify if swapping a RSX-S onto our A3 block is reliable because I'm not sure if the A3 will handle 7700-8000 RPM revs like every other day. Not saying I beat the shit out of my car, just sometimes would like to hear the A2 VTEC sing ;) It's either I get the A2 headswap done and get it over with, or just wait awhile until I save up enough for the whole K20A2/6-pd deal. Hopefully a long time Hondata user will chime in, would really appreciate the info.

RMC22
11-12-2003, 03:31 PM
I've had Hondata for about 10k now. I take it up regularly, but not like I used to. I used to take it the the limit as much as I could when I got an intake. I've noticed no side effects, well, except better gas mileage, but that may also be due to the fact that the car is a year old with over double miles.

myeverlovinsir
11-12-2003, 03:46 PM
I have been running the 1st and 2nd flashes for the longest in Canada. I run the engine to 'near' the rev limiter almost daily. I can't remember hitting it in a very long time. You get use to the sound and feel after a while and know where the cutoff is for the next gear. That said, I have 60k on my ride and its just as snappy as ever. The head and it's components in the A3 can handle the extra revs, no problem. I also would like to try the A2 head on it. From what I have read there can be damage done when you throw the A2 head on and ITR or skunk cams, RSX-S reflash and rev the shit out of it. The bottom end is just not gonna live as long with a type-S head on it. I just saw a type-S head w/ gasket go cheap for $350.00:eek:
The other costs would be install and reflash to type-S. Throw in some cams and your looking at just over a thousand. Now that is the best bang for the buck yet!

fsugatorbait
11-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
From what I have read there can be damage done when you throw the A2 head on and ITR or skunk cams, RSX-S reflash and rev the shit out of it. The bottom end is just not gonna live as long with a type-S head on it.

The A2 head was going to be my next major purchase and had planned down the road to upgrade to the ITR cams with the hondata programmable rlash. Im interested in what you have heard about how our A3 block isnt able to withstand the abuse. I personally redline daily and frequently shift around 5500 rpms all day long and will continue to, just my style of driving, but I dont consider that abuse since we all own Honda's.

myeverlovinsir
11-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
The A2 head was going to be my next major purchase and had planned down the road to upgrade to the ITR cams with the hondata programmable rlash. Im interested in what you have heard about how our A3 block isnt able to withstand the abuse. I personally redline daily and frequently shift around 5500 rpms all day long and will continue to, just my style of driving, but I dont consider that abuse since we all own Honda's.

For starters: skunk 2 (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22534)

It's a little known fact that our bottom end is near bullet proof and lord knows I have tried to run it out many times with the 7800 rpm limiter now. My feelings stem from construction issues. I know Hondata has run the crap out of it at near 10k and don't doubt it's ability to hold up. I question things like rod gurth and crank balance over 8k rpms, bushings when compared to the type-S. I'm not trying to po-po our bottom end, it just the lack of strength that concerns me. To date, I don't know of anyone who has destroyed the bottom end of their ride, boosted, reflashed, retuned or otherwise. My recomendation, and my choice is to throw on the A2 head and go nuts, just not too sure how long the glory will last in a race environment. To quote Silverstreak "They have ended the article by saying that the A3 bottom end is going bye bye, and hello to a K24 bottom end in the future which will produce better gains." I am a tester and hope our components are just as capable as the type-S or R but know better from a design standpoint. Thanks.

Peking
11-12-2003, 08:23 PM

I'm looking very forward to seeing you do that :) , DavidT don't worry about the flash for our A3. Hondata wouldn't release the flash knowing that our head couldn't take the extra revs. Remember coming from the factory cars are pretty conservative (lean fuel mapping, etc).

fsugatorbait
11-13-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
For starters: skunk 2 (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22534)

It's a little known fact that our bottom end is near bullet proof and lord knows I have tried to run it out many times with the 7800 rpm limiter now. My feelings stem from construction issues. I know Hondata has run the crap out of it at near 10k and don't doubt it's ability to hold up. I question things like rod gurth and crank balance over 8k rpms, bushings when compared to the type-S. I'm not trying to po-po our bottom end, it just the lack of strength that concerns me. To date, I don't know of anyone who has destroyed the bottom end of their ride, boosted, reflashed, retuned or otherwise. My recomendation, and my choice is to throw on the A2 head and go nuts, just not too sure how long the glory will last in a race environment. To quote Silverstreak "They have ended the article by saying that the A3 bottom end is going bye bye, and hello to a K24 bottom end in the future which will produce better gains." I am a tester and hope our components are just as capable as the type-S or R but know better from a design standpoint. Thanks.

Thanks for the info, I guess well see down the road how well the A3 bottom end can withstand the constant revs. Worst case scenario we end up blowing our bottom end and then 'have' to go out and get a k24 to swap our already built head onto! Doesnt seem so bad to me. :)

DavidT
11-13-2003, 09:09 AM
Im interested in what you have heard about how our A3 block isnt able to withstand the abuse.

Well, for starters Honda put a 6800 RPM redline on the A3 block :p Not only that, the A2 crank, crank bearings, rods, rod bearings, pistons are all different...hell none of the A3 internals has an identicle part # to the A2. Just makes me wonder if the A3 can handle 7700-8000 RPM revs everyday. But I guess from your guys' experiences it should be ok. Now I just gotta start saving for the reflash. The Type S head I can find for a decent price, labor I can do not a prob...just the damn reflash is so expensive. Don't wanna go through the trouble of reprogramming the immobilizer with a Type S ECU b/c my local Honda dealer are a bunch of yuppies...not to mention finding a Type S ECU for sale for a good price.

On the K24 bottom end...I'm not too fond of it's stroke. Too long to rev to 8k safely even with a built bottom end. I forget the ratio but I remember the K24 @ 8000 RPMs is pushing the pistons up and down the cylinder walls much faster than the S2000's motor @ 9000 RPMs :eek: Not real smart if you ask me.

fsugatorbait
11-13-2003, 09:51 AM
ahh, good ole bore and stroke...neuman! :mad: