PDA

View Full Version : oil for the si

ryanjennings
11-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Im going to get my oil changed... what oil do you recommend? And how is synthetic oil?

Buff 'n Stuff
11-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Not sure about the U.S. 'Si', but in Canada the SiR recommends 5W20. The reason for this is because it's better for fuel economy and emissions. In my opinion, you can go with the 5W20 for the reasons I've just mentioned, or, maybe go with 5W30 (which is just a little thicker when the motor's at operating temperature). If I were to use 5W30 over the 5W20, I'd go with full synthetic... probably Mobil 1. It's top of the line and nothing beats synthetic oil - the additives take longer to dissipate than conventional oil. If you do decide to use synthetic, make sure you still change your oil just as often for the reason that it still gets dirty (although the additives in the oil may still be good).

I don't recommend going any thicker than 5W30. At least don't go any thicker than the '5' part anyway. You want the oil to circulate as quickly as possible throughout the motor at start up. Therefore, you want an oil that's thin as possible at that point. Remember, we're talking multi-grade oil here - the first number indicates the thickness or viscosity rate of the oil at start up (engine is cold). The second number is the viscosity rate for when it's at operating temperature (hot).

4g63dsm
11-13-2003, 12:08 AM
moblie one doesn't make synthetic 5-20, they make 5-30 and 0-20(which is similar to 5-20 and is what i have in my engine) when i was using moblie one 5-30synthetic my exhuast note got deeper but my car seemed to rev a lil slower

02CivicSI-VTEC
11-13-2003, 01:54 AM
dose the synthetic oil really make a different for the track and the road compare to the orginal oils?