PDA

View Full Version : Will Type-R calipers work?

NuG
11-12-2003, 10:19 PM
I have the opportunity to buy EP3-R calipers, steel lines, pads and would like to know what is involve for this conversion. Do I need bigger rotors or will our rotors work? What larger rotors are recommended, Wilwood? Any input is appreciated.

andy
11-12-2003, 11:57 PM
Someone has been trolling the classifieds at honda-tech...hrm.
Those caught my eye as well - can't really tell ya if they'd fit
or not. What's the size on the CTR brakes? Aren't they the same
(similar) to the RSX?

The one weird thing about those calipers is that they have "Type R"
written on the side...didn't think that was Honda's "style". I dunno,
just odd/cool at the same time.

NuG
11-13-2003, 08:22 AM
I believe they are genuine Honda parts and they come badged with Type-R on them. Shawn Hillier's white ep has these on his car but the thing is I dont know if he upgraded his rotors too.

NuG
11-13-2003, 12:35 PM
I spoke to Sherwin @ Brakezone(a real nice guy to deal with) and he said that I would basically need to do a whole 5 lug conversion with either the type-r rotors or type-s. I dont think im going to go through with the deal, the seller is quite shady and said it would work...

andy
11-13-2003, 01:08 PM
NuG, I was just more surprised than anything to see the "Type R" logo
on the brakes (a la Porsche). Guess they are OEM...

The brakezone guy is right about converting to 5 lug, but I wonder
if these calipers wouldn't fit on ours...I guess they are bigger
calipers, aren't they?

Anyway, you're right, the guy seems a little weird. I think his
inital price for those was above $500 and now he's down to 200 or
so...

cpu519
11-15-2003, 08:05 AM
I've done the 5 lug swap. It seems like the Type R caliper is the same as the Type S, just labeled with the Type R logo. If they are the same (likely, with Honda's penchant for part sharing), then they do mount to the Si knuckle. My front suspension was apart so I was able to mount the Type S caliper to my old Si knuckles, they bolt on. The problem is the caliper is spaced farther out from the center than the Si caliper. The pads wouldn't make full contact with the rotor, the outer edge of the rotor would only contact the middle of the pad. I couldn't fully test this out because I don't have my old rotors, but measuring it out showed that would be the case.