PDA

View Full Version : quick help from those who change their own oil..

civicSIracer
11-13-2003, 04:54 PM
what way do you turn the oil filter to get it off??? its on there so damn tight and i cant remember what way to turn it. thanks

bobdobbs
11-13-2003, 04:56 PM
Righty tighty. Lefty loosey.

You're gonna need a filter wrench to get it off.

civicSIracer
11-13-2003, 04:57 PM
thanks bob your my hero

bobdobbs
11-13-2003, 04:58 PM
PW
:D

javi2002whitesi
11-13-2003, 05:45 PM
counter clockwise.

mrfixit687
11-13-2003, 09:46 PM
u dont need a filter wrench, just muscle :D

civicSIracer
11-13-2003, 10:06 PM
how much oil do you guys end up putting in there.. i believe that you are sposed to put something like 4.5 qts but i ended up putting in 5 qts and the oil isnt even to the 1st dot on the dipstick.. should i throw in another quart??

FreakSoft
11-13-2003, 10:11 PM
To get off the original filter I had to jack up the car, take off the wheel, buy a oil filter wrench, use a socket with the wrench, and of course muscle (but the breaker bar didn't hurt). I placed on a K & N filter that not only is far superior to the Honda OEM Filter (and any other for that matter) it also has a bolt like thingy on it to help remove it.

icegrill
11-13-2003, 10:12 PM
shit no, with filter it should be 4.4qts pure mobil 1 0w-20:) Make sure you're on a level surface when checking the oil.

jaydub
11-13-2003, 10:12 PM
if you really get in a bind, you can always jam a screwdriver thru it, but that's really ghetto and I only recommend it if you're really stuck. :D Prepare for a mess, too, there's no easy way to get the filter off without getting oil in your armpit and all over the backside of your engine. yay Honda engineering!

FreakSoft
11-13-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by civicSIracer
how much oil do you guys end up putting in there.. i believe that you are sposed to put something like 4.5 qts but i ended up putting in 5 qts and the oil isnt even to the 1st dot on the dipstick.. should i throw in another quart??
I put 4.7 ( I think) quarts the first time. And then added the rest of the bottle (5 qt total) a week or so later. Just let the engine run for a few minutes after you are "done" to help the oil circulate. You don't want to put to much oil in and have smoky smoke float'n out the back and also be out a few bucks of oil. BTW use synthetic (Mobil 1)!

civicSIracer
11-14-2003, 12:40 AM
ya.. i use mobil 1 full synthetic..
i was stuck on that damn filter cuz it was pissing me off, thats why i started this thread.. i have jammed a screwdriver through the damn filter the 1st oil change cuz if was on there so damn tight.. not the best idea.. got it off but ended up cutting my palm up from the metal pieces from teh wholes in the filter.. i have apox 5 quarts in there now. i know to check it on level ground. ive done it before, it just seems that it wont read to the "normal" oil level without like 6 quarts in there.. and i would never put 6 in there..

oldschoolimport
11-14-2003, 02:02 AM
mobil 1 6 pack is $29.00 at sams club. works out to be just under $5 a quart. is that about what everyone else is paying? just curious. only had to buy it once so far.

oldschoolimport
11-14-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by FreakSoft
I placed on a K & N filter that not only is far superior to the Honda OEM Filter (and any other for that matter) it also has a bolt like thingy on it to help remove it. what is the part number on that k&n oil filter. dumb asses around steal the filter part number books just to be assholes.:rolleyes:

furious
11-14-2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by oldschoolimport
mobil 1 6 pack is $29.00 at sams club. works out to be just under $5 a quart. is that about what everyone else is paying? just curious. only had to buy it once so far.

you can pick up the mobil 1 6 pack at Wal-mart for $4.98 p/qt, lil more expensive. If you go with 5W-30, you can get the 5qt. jugs for $18.??

furious
11-14-2003, 06:32 AM
while we are on this topic, anyone know what brand filter to use that may be small enough to actually clear the damn abs hoses so we don't have to reach from underneath or in between suspension? I don't care for which is better, just if ANY is small enough.....

I think I might extend the filter mount for quick access