PDA

View Full Version : seat questions and comments

Robbies'03Si
11-13-2003, 07:10 PM
Well i have someone who will by both my stock ep3 seats for $700, my car is blue and i guess i plan on getting blue seats, but is it safe to wear the racing harness for everyday use or should i use regular seatbelt with racing seats? im lil confused

k20hatch
11-13-2003, 08:19 PM
I wear harness's, there properly installed according to sparco, corbeau and momo. On my corbeau brackets theres a space to bolt on your factory seat belt piece to hook the seat belt into. I didnt really think and didnt do that. I would just advise you to! Im probley gonna order them from honda and do it to mine!! Just my opinion!

raiyo
11-13-2003, 09:23 PM
Racing harness on track and regular seat belt for daily driving. I heard harness isn't legal to be worn in the streets. you might wanna keep your stock seat belt bucks if you're gonna sell the seats. no seat belt buckle means no AirBag. Inside the belt buckle has a sensor inside, so if it's remove then SRS light is on.

Robbies'03Si
11-13-2003, 09:31 PM
hey thanks for the replys ya'll, may sound corny but im definately more worried about having a safe ride then looking "cooler" so we'll see i mean this guy said he'd go up to $1000 for both my seats..... so im sold haha jus gotta find some nice seats for the ride now

super_si_45
11-13-2003, 09:51 PM
r u nuts? ofcourse a REAL harness is much, much safer than a reg 3 point safety belt, thats what they r developed for, no, they r not illegal, y would somehting that protects you on the street be illegal? cool + safe (with a real5 point harness) cant go wrong ;)

raiyo
11-13-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by super_si_45
r u nuts? ofcourse a REAL harness is much, much safer than a reg 3 point safety belt, thats what they r developed for, no, they r not illegal, y would somehting that protects you on the street be illegal? cool + safe (with a real5 point harness) cant go wrong ;)

yes, a harness is safer than regular seat belts, but it isn't street legal. I dunno where I read it from, but that's what I remembered. Having them isn't illegal, but wear em on the street is.

racing seats are still safe, racing harness is safe, stock seat belts are safe. that's if u wear em. only problem with aftermarket seats if you dont have the stock seat belt buckle connected to the floor wire harness the SRS light will go on, which means no airbag. sell the seats without the belt buckles, get some nice racing seats and harness.

Robbies'03Si
11-14-2003, 09:00 AM
for the harness to be "safe" i heard you need a roll cage or take out your back seats having them connected back there (personnally i have friends that ride back there haha)

JLannoo
11-15-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Robbies'03Si
..so we'll see i mean this guy said he'd go up to $1000 for both my seats.....

LOL thats pretty funny your buyer said that. Like after hearing that you will go "Nah $800 is cool" What a maroon.

Robbies'03Si
11-16-2003, 09:05 AM
haha yah basically

2k2SiAutoXer
11-16-2003, 09:20 PM
I remember reading somewhere that it IS NOT SAFE to wear the racing harness unless to it attached directly behind the seat, not on the floor. Otherwise if you get in a bad head on collision the harness could do some major back damage. The harness are not designed to attach to the floor boards. I have a harness that I only use for autocrossing so i stay firmly attached to the car, but in autocrossing the danger of actually hitting something is very low.

2k2SiAutoXer
11-16-2003, 09:21 PM
I remember reading somewhere that it IS NOT SAFE to wear the racing harness unless to it attached directly behind the seat, not on the floor. Otherwise if you get in a bad head on collision the harness could do some major back damage. The harness are not designed to attach to the floor boards. I have a harness that I only use for autocrossing so i stay firmly attached to the car, but in autocrossing the danger of actually hitting something is very low.

--Tom

2k2SiAutoXer
11-16-2003, 09:21 PM
damn, my first double post....ever

--Tom

Robbies'03Si
11-17-2003, 08:32 AM
haha nice, but ya ive heard same thing, so harnes for autocross is good for everyday driving bad, normal seatbelt for autocross bad but good for everyday driving, i think i get it now haha

2k2SiAutoXer
11-17-2003, 11:58 PM
yeah, you preety much got it. Now if the harness was installed correctly then it would be ok for everyday driving, I guess. And not that regular seat belts are bad for autocross, they just dont let you get the kinda feedback from your car that you need.

--Tom

Jaminak
11-18-2003, 02:45 PM
If you have a harness in your car and you roll and you have no cage it will crush your spine. The harness will not let you bend - as it is designed. If you put a cage in you should wear a helmet so you don't bang your head on the cage. Helmets are not legal on the street. Hence, harnesses are not OK for the street.

2k2_nbp_egg
11-19-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Jaminak
If you have a harness in your car and you roll and you have no cage it will crush your spine. The harness will not let you bend - as it is designed. If you put a cage in you should wear a helmet so you don't bang your head on the cage. Helmets are not legal on the street. Hence, harnesses are not OK for the street.

Dammit you beat me to it!! That's the exact reason why you don't want a harness, even though it'll support you better when you corner hard, you're fucking dead if you flip your car and don't have a cage. Think about it, if you can't move your body / neck much, then what are you going to do in the half second it takes for your car to flip and crush?

Robbies'03Si
11-19-2003, 02:51 PM
well im goin sparco race seats...... but definately stickin with the stockies seat belt