PDA

View Full Version : body pain from seats, no armrest?

kenis138
11-14-2003, 07:15 AM
hey guys, mebbie its just cuz im an old man (26), but do any of you get pain in your mid/upper right back/rib area. Like right under yer chicken wing? I do, and i think its because of the way the EP seats press against that section of my back while im driving. The left side has the armrest, so i have something there to prevent the pressure from resting in that spot on that side. Has anyone else experienced this? Would that cheapo ebay armrest helP?

jaydub
11-14-2003, 08:48 AM
old fart! http://www.dubfusion.com/tehfunny/fawk.gif

Actually I am glad this car doesn't have an armrest. My Jetta had one and it was ALWAYS in the way, plus it actually promoted poor posture because i was leaning to the right like a cholo. Now I tend to sit a bit straighter. I just have to remember not to rest my hand on the gearshift knob.

2QK4U ALLWAYS
11-14-2003, 08:59 AM
Be glad it doesnt have arm rest and if you drive 10 and 2 you dont need it and sit up as straight as possible for best posture:angel:

Civicvtec1ps
11-14-2003, 10:28 AM
I wish we had arm rest but then ebay ones doesnt look too good on our interior. and expensive.Maybe i will buy one if price go down to about $40.:confused: I think armrest will help , specially our shifter dash..

nando707
11-14-2003, 11:07 AM
wow thats the same pain i experienced in the same area as you for the last two weeks.

02SilverSiHB
11-14-2003, 11:13 AM
nope, no pains :) and I'm 26 also ;)

STP03BlueSI
11-14-2003, 11:48 AM
I sometimes get a sharp pain in my side also if i drive along time in the Ep. I know it happened like crazy when i was driving to Atlanta(8hour drive).

wooman
11-14-2003, 11:57 AM
just don't leave your hand on the shifter... i drove to providence RI straight (9 hours drive) and it was fine... :)

furious
11-14-2003, 02:19 PM
I have the same problem. My wing area is always fuggin hurting from the high bolsters...but maybe it has something to do with me fuggin up my back in highschool from football, and then fuggin it up again from KungFu before it got to heal. Maybe I just have really bad posture, but I do sit very upright:confused:

RiceCzechs
11-14-2003, 03:43 PM
No back problems with the EP, but I definitely want an armrest... if I ever have the $$$, I'd even consider the armrest, even if it doesn't look 100% OEM, as long as it is durable and placed correctly.

SilentGiant
11-14-2003, 04:48 PM
I drove from Calgary to Vancouver (1000km 12 hrs.) only stopping for gas...and I don't get pains from the chairs......

ITs super comfy!

but my dad.....

who is used to American Soft plush sedans didn't like it after 10 hrs. haha

Zero Three Si
11-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Sounds like you guys need to do some situps or go jogging around the block a few times. You get back pain from weak adomonal muscles.

siver-SI
11-14-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
old fart! http://www.dubfusion.com/tehfunny/fawk.gif

Actually I am glad this car doesn't have an armrest. My Jetta had one and it was ALWAYS in the way, plus it actually promoted poor posture because i was leaning to the right like a cholo. Now I tend to sit a bit straighter. I just have to remember not to rest my hand on the gearshift knob.

When I looked at the Jetta when looking at my EP my arm kept hitting the armrest. So that killed that car for me, just like the Tib not having enough leg room. I am tall so I found out when shopping for cars that can kill you with a lot of cars.

HokieSi
11-15-2003, 06:15 AM
They need to me the seat back go up for tall people. I'm always adjusting the seat because I find it uncomfortable. I loved my crx seats.

SilverEpInDc
11-15-2003, 10:50 AM
I think our seats are the best!

Si_Rider
11-15-2003, 11:33 AM
seats are good, the guys with the back problem maybe need to excersice. do some lat pull downs, pull ups and some cable rows that will fix your back guarateed;)

fishboy
11-15-2003, 12:21 PM
no pain here either. 26 over here. :D

exercise man! :)

barnardpd
11-15-2003, 03:49 PM
i had the same problem and took a chance with that armrest off e-bay. i'm surprised at how comfortable it feels and how it blends in with the rest of the interior. super easy to install. took all of 5 minutes withe no drilling or modifing at all! i would have to say it was worth it for me, especially if you do alot of driving.

hamlet9634
11-15-2003, 05:12 PM
my old mx3 had an armrest.. it was ALWAYS in the way.. and i broke it several times autocrossing. Crappy seats in the mx3 means you lean on what you can, and in the case of the mx3 it was the cheap plastic armrest thingie.

funny thing is i think that crappy mx3 was a better autocrosser than the ep (less understeer)

andy
11-15-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by barnardpd
i had the same problem and took a chance with that armrest off e-bay. i'm surprised at how comfortable it feels and how it blends in with the rest of the interior. super easy to install. took all of 5 minutes withe no drilling or modifing at all! i would have to say it was worth it for me, especially if you do alot of driving.

can you take some pics?

SiR Medic
11-16-2003, 07:31 AM
I'm lovin the seats!

If I need an armrest, I just lean it on the passenger seat, works fine for me!

ep3guy
11-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Maybe it's because some of you are resting your hands on the shifter? You shouldn't be doing that.. I usually keep two hands on the wheels unless I'm shifting. :D

kenis138
11-17-2003, 07:38 AM
as for the "more exercise" suggestions, its not that type of pain. However, i think i found the cause...
I noticed that even though my left side was making the same contact with the seat, i din experience same feeling. Then, noticed that i felt pain more sharply when i extended my arm out straight in front of me. I seriously think its from drivin with the seat back, right arm straight out at the 12 o clock position. For 1.5 hrs/day, I was keeping myself in an "extended fist" type position! So, I have moved my seat up and I am trying to keep myself away from doing that, seems to be helping quite a bit.

2QK4U ALLWAYS
11-17-2003, 08:55 AM
Told you the right seating position is very important these seats are the best seats around in support and all for stockies:angel:

Zero Three Si
11-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Glad you found a fix for this.

SiR Medic
11-17-2003, 09:24 AM
Things got a whole lot more comfortable for me when I stopped keeping my wallet in my back pants pocket... (not like I ever got any money in the damn thing anyway)

Now, both my cheeks are level!;)

kenis138
11-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
Things got a whole lot more comfortable for me when I stopped keeping my wallet in my back pants pocket... (not like I ever got any money in the damn thing anyway)

Now, both my cheeks are level!;)

HAHAHA...that was one for me too! Every now and then I'll forget i have my wallet in the back, and after driving for about a half hour I notice one half of my ass is numb. Takin that wallet out is like gettin a 2 dy old piece of popcorn from out in between yer teeth!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH...:D